ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: What happened at Coachella on Friday?  (Read 31439 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: What happened at Coachella on Friday?
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2017, 04:26:11 PM »

I love this SRV clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn1pk8Lpelc
How to deal with failure!
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2017, 06:32:34 PM »

I think that by the time an act is on a major festival stage they've experienced enough glitches, gremlins and failures that they know to not freak out, let their crew deal with it.  They know that shit happens and getting the show back up and running is already in process.  If the band treats the situation with grace (appropriate to genre) the audience is more likely to, also.

It's been maybe 20 years ago, but I was attending a small festival where stage power was lost so the band grabbed acoustic instruments and went out into the audience area and played there until the power was restored.  I bet they sold a ton of merch that night. :)

Obviously some acts can't do that - the nature of their genre or reliance on electro-centric technology to produce sounds that are non-acoustic in origin - but in smaller situations it can be 'lemonade'.

I certainly agree that handling things gracefully puts everyone at ease-and is the best way to have a lapse "forgiven".  I was referring to the "it happens twice a week" comment-if that were me something would be in the dumpster before the next show.
Steve Swaffer

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2017, 11:03:17 PM »

I certainly agree that handling things gracefully puts everyone at ease-and is the best way to have a lapse "forgiven".  I was referring to the "it happens twice a week" comment-if that were me something would be in the dumpster before the next show.

Too many unknowns but if the desk were crashing like this, 2x/wk AFTER consultation with the manufacturer I'd be sending it back for a full on exchange.

I'm not buying that part of the story at face value, though, because I know how touring at this level works.  If Clair or Sound Image or Spectrum sent this desk out and it failed, they'd be sending a replacement via FedEx Custom Critical or arranging for a substitute desk from a regional supplier until the replacement could be received.  That's the kind of support one gets at this level and if you don't, your PM or TM is firing the vendor.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2017, 08:16:43 AM »

Too many unknowns but if the desk were crashing like this, 2x/wk AFTER consultation with the manufacturer I'd be sending it back for a full on exchange.

I'm not buying that part of the story at face value, though, because I know how touring at this level works.  If Clair or Sound Image or Spectrum sent this desk out and it failed, they'd be sending a replacement via FedEx Custom Critical or arranging for a substitute desk from a regional supplier until the replacement could be received.  That's the kind of support one gets at this level and if you don't, your PM or TM is firing the vendor.

Guys, the 2xweek thing was the replay device, not the desk.
But why was the replay thingy still there if it's proving to be a regular show-stopper?

Maybe back to the actual OP question now ?
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2017, 12:46:21 PM »

Well, the replay thingy was giving the only warning it was capable of.  Apparently, the AVB card (at least via hearsay) was giving a gentler warning.  Both were ignored.

Lesson to learn from?

They say doing the same thing over and over expecting a different (better?) result is a form of insanity...

Of course, maybe they had changed something-which sometimes is all you can do with intermittent faults.  Been bit by that too many times myself.
Steve Swaffer

Josh Hana

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2017, 08:01:26 PM »

Avid console error messages are no joke.

I was on a Profile for an indoor arena show and I was getting "CPU over-temp" messages during load in. We're used to outdoor Miami weather and we handle it fine, an A/C arena gave me some concern.

I opened the FOH rack and found a big rubber band "securing" the sticks of RAM in place had snapped and gotten jammed in the CPU fan. Not a great design.

I've had a massive critical show-stopping error on a Midas Pro desk, but it actually presented similar to the "Bloop!" sound, but for a solid 4-5 seconds. I'd argue that's much worse than a cut in audio.

If it's true that they had received this error for the past few days and ignored it, then this deserves every bit of attention they got because that's a pretty big no-no.

John Lackner

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2017, 07:20:36 PM »

What's really remarkable is how rare it is that this sort of thing happens, not that someone didn't have an identical spare console on line for instant change over on a festival. 

Back in the early days of festival touring (the early 70's) the likelihood of a major failure of the sound or lighting equipment was about 50% (you can ask John Meyer about this). Nowadays it's less than 1%. There is still no such thing as a piece of electronic gear that is 100% immune from failure.
Y'all SPOILED!!
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2017, 10:02:19 PM »

This lounge guy carries a pair of X32 Racks. Switchover would likely take five+ minutes but hey, it's just the lounge.

Now a good friend of mine is the BE for a national "New-grass" band.  Pro2 at FOH, SC48 for monitors, and a M32 core permanently mounted and wired in their splitter rack on stage. They mainly use the M32 core in lieu of the consoles for fly dates but if the Pro2 bricked it would just take firing up the core and router in the splitter rack and picking up an iPad to continue on -- with additional other "minor" adjustments likely required <wink>!
    ..db
..db

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2017, 08:05:48 AM »

Sometimes, despite best efforts......shit happens.

I recall a Mellencamp show @ "The World's Most Famous Arena" where an MSG house power issue shut down the show. A World Series game had lighting issues. Another one had earthquake issues. D-Day was repeated postponed due to weather.

My point is: Let us not, from afar, cast stones at show personnel. The crew on this show are at the top of our game.

Jay Brett

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2017, 03:03:33 PM »

A show a few weeks ago at The Sprint Center in Kansas City experienced a power failure on the lighting side. The show lost all lighting but still had audio. The headliner handled it perfectly by asking everyone to get out their lighters and they did a few songs acoustically why the crew quickly ran feeder to a secondary power source. Instead of being a major failure, it almost seemed like part of the show.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2017, 03:03:33 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.