ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX828SP Failure  (Read 6026 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: SRX828SP Failure
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 02:28:03 am »

Did you get the amp replaced, or the whole box?  Did you just call Harman/JBL support to initiate a warranty repair? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fortunately I had purchased it locally (Sam Ash) -and they replaced the whole thing for me.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Brandon Scopel

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2017, 05:57:36 pm »

Twice right Debbie?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2017, 10:08:21 pm »

If you all (or I should say y'all- living in the south)
Debbie, it all depends on if you are addressing one or everyone.  If it is a person then Y'all.  However, if you are address the group then it would be All Y'all.  As in, 'All Y'all ain't from 'round here are ya...'  That would be for when more than one person is being address.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 11:09:55 pm »

Debbie, it all depends on if you are addressing one or everyone.  If it is a person then Y'all.  However, if you are address the group then it would be All Y'all.  As in, 'All Y'all ain't from 'round here are ya...'  That would be for when more than one person is being address.

Bill

Aaaaah thanks Bill - it seems I still have so much to learn.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 11:12:18 pm »

Twice right Debbie?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

You remembered Brandon - LOL !  ... But I can't blame the second one for the same fault.... That second one was damaged right through the shipping box beyond the paint finish.

Pat Talbot

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 11:52:52 am »

OK...couldn't do much with the speaker over the weekend due to all the Easter happenings.  I just ran the box as high as it could go (which isn't much) and let the other SRX828SP carry the day...worked out fine for two services yesterday in a room with around 650 people.  I have the affected sub plugged in and powered up, and on each input, i get the same low output out of the box.  Even dimed at +12, it's audible, but not doing what it's supposed to do by a long ways.  I'm getting Audio Architect downloaded and setup so I can look around.  Will update when/if I learn anything new.

Pat Talbot

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 12:10:01 pm »

If I run into CH1 and take the CH1 output into CH2 in, I do get an increase in volume as you would expect under normal conditions.  Doesn't matter if I use CH1 or CH2, results are the same.

If I throw a crap ton of gain at the input, the box gets loud.  Both speakers are thumping. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:26:49 pm by Pat Talbot »

Pat Talbot

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2017, 03:04:46 pm »

Got Audio Architect going and started looking around.  Ok...I think I figured it out.  On both SRX828SP's I had gone into Audio Architect when I first got them or a little bit after and put a +12dB gain on the input compressor and also a +8dB boost at 46Hz.  Looks like the sub that went 'quiet' lost those settings somehow.  I never saved them to one of the user-definable presets, and I've been using the SRXTop preset that is built in.  When I made the compressor and eq setting changes, I guess they were in nvram?  I noticed I can't store those settings to the SRXTop preset, so I made a preset in one of the user definable slots and now both boxes are bumping along similarly.

When I went into Audio Architect and did a 'recall' on the box that was NOT low output, I saw the makeup gain in the input compressor and the EQ change that I had made.  Hopefully now that i've created an actual preset that has these parameters, I'll be ok going forward.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Pat

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 04:11:41 pm »

Got Audio Architect going and started looking around.  Ok...I think I figured it out.  On both SRX828SP's I had gone into Audio Architect when I first got them or a little bit after and put a +12dB gain on the input compressor and also a +8dB boost at 46Hz.  Looks like the sub that went 'quiet' lost those settings somehow.  I never saved them to one of the user-definable presets, and I've been using the SRXTop preset that is built in.  When I made the compressor and eq setting changes, I guess they were in nvram?  I noticed I can't store those settings to the SRXTop preset, so I made a preset in one of the user definable slots and now both boxes are bumping along similarly.

When I went into Audio Architect and did a 'recall' on the box that was NOT low output, I saw the makeup gain in the input compressor and the EQ change that I had made.  Hopefully now that i've created an actual preset that has these parameters, I'll be ok going forward.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Pat

Well, one thing was not like the other so yes, that part makes sense.

What doesn't make sense to me, after we bought a couple SP828sp, is what other user's gain expectations are.  Granted we work with BEs who have their own ideas about how to drive a rig but almost none of them are "low level".

Is this to get the subwoofer 'haystack' sound?

With what you're doing in processing I'd imagine that you're well acquainted with the limiters...
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Pat Talbot

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 05:40:04 pm »

Well, one thing was not like the other so yes, that part makes sense.

What doesn't make sense to me, after we bought a couple SP828sp, is what other user's gain expectations are.  Granted we work with BEs who have their own ideas about how to drive a rig but almost none of them are "low level".

Is this to get the subwoofer 'haystack' sound?

With what you're doing in processing I'd imagine that you're well acquainted with the limiters...

The input gain I added in the compressor section of the subs was to keep from having to run the mixer output as hot in order to get the subs to balance with the tops.  I'm not interested in running the subs louder than the tops...just helping them keep up without driving the mixer's mono output into clipping.  I haven't made any changes to the limiters...i don't run the rig on the edge very often...but I don't want to fool with the limiters and compromise safety just to get a very marginal gain in SPL.  I like the SRX828SP's a lot...just not when one side is way louder than the other.  Not sure why my settings went away, but hopefully creating the user preset with the makeup gain and the EQ change will keep me from seeing that problem again.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.