ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: In search of a simple, moving, zoomable spot  (Read 5087 times)

Noah D Mitchell

In search of a simple, moving, zoomable spot
« on: April 14, 2017, 06:27:17 PM »

Hello,

One of our venues has a nice lighting system designed for ease of use by volunteers, with about 60 static full-color LED fixtures and a few movers for effects. The front lighting is handled by 20 WW/CW LED's.

For the front lighting, we've got plenty of power, but our difficulty is focus. The fixtures have an approximately 25 degree beam spread, so it's quite difficult to easily isolate performers with our 17' trim height.

I could add a dozen narrower fixtures, but since our bands change once/week and our needs are really for only about 2-3 positions that need isolation, I was thinking of adding a smaller number of simple movers. Then I can simply program a collection of focus palettes and avoid re-aiming lights each week.

My needs: Decent white (currently mixing to about 4800-5000k), zoomable (a must) focusable (a maybe) and a moving yoke. Don't really need gobos, colors, effects, but wouldn't be opposed to having them.

I've looked at the ADJ Focus Spot 3 Z - the price is about right - I think the 12 degree will be tight enough, a little concerned that the white might be too cold and the color gobos don't offer a 'soft white.'

Any other suggestions?

Scott Hofmann

Re: In search of a simple, moving, zoomable spot
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 07:46:52 PM »

.... a little concerned that the white might be too cold and the color gobos don't offer a 'soft white.'

Any other suggestions?

Are you sure you don't mean "color wheel" instead of "color gobos"? 
Scott Hofmann

Johannes Halvorsen

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 08:53:23 PM »

What about one of the zoomable wash movers? (Like ADJ's wizi hex wash 7) Or do you need a sharp focused spot?

Sent fra min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 01:17:24 AM »

Why not replace one of the gobos in the Focus Spot with a dicro filter to correct the color temp?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 07:34:06 AM »

Hello,

One of our venues has a nice lighting system designed for ease of use by volunteers, with about 60 static full-color LED fixtures and a few movers for effects. The front lighting is handled by 20 WW/CW LED's.

For the front lighting, we've got plenty of power, but our difficulty is focus. The fixtures have an approximately 25 degree beam spread, so it's quite difficult to easily isolate performers with our 17' trim height.

I could add a dozen narrower fixtures, but since our bands change once/week and our needs are really for only about 2-3 positions that need isolation, I was thinking of adding a smaller number of simple movers. Then I can simply program a collection of focus palettes and avoid re-aiming lights each week.

My needs: Decent white (currently mixing to about 4800-5000k), zoomable (a must) focusable (a maybe) and a moving yoke. Don't really need gobos, colors, effects, but wouldn't be opposed to having them.

I've looked at the ADJ Focus Spot 3 Z - the price is about right - I think the 12 degree will be tight enough, a little concerned that the white might be too cold and the color gobos don't offer a 'soft white.'

Any other suggestions?
Chauvet Rogue R1 wash, or for more output, the R2. Color is great, zoom range is great, nice build quality, really good value for a nice fixture.

Noah D Mitchell

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 01:04:15 PM »

Are you sure you don't mean "color wheel" instead of "color gobos"?

Correct - Color wheel.

Duane - that sounds like a good idea, my inexperience must be showing because I didn't realize that was a possibility.

Johannes - that also sounds reasonable. I would be a little concerned with multiple shadows from the different lenses as this is for front lighting.

The Rogue R1 looks about right. One caveat, on the Chauvet Pro website it lists 'focus' but not 'zoom' - and lists the beam angle as 16.5, while the video demo mentions a 1 degree beam angle. 16.5 should be sufficient, but if I'm buying a mover I think zoom would be useful for this application.

Is this a case of me using the wrong terminology? I thought focus dealt with the sharpness of the beam, zoom with the width.

Am I missing something?

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 05:02:26 PM »

There's the R1 Spot, R1 Wash, and R1 Beam.  They might have confused something?  The Spots are not zoomable, but the Washes are.  The Maverick Spot is probably what you really want, but it's not cheap. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 08:32:30 PM »

There's the R1 Spot, R1 Wash, and R1 Beam.  They might have confused something?  The Spots are not zoomable, but the Washes are.  The Maverick Spot is probably what you really want, but it's not cheap.
We've got six R1 Wash at my church. Definitely zoomable. Fairly soft cutoff at the edge of the beam compared to, say, an ellipsoidal fixture.

We mostly do colour wash with our R1 but will occasionally use them as key lighting in areas that our fixed white ellipsoidals (Elation WW profile, which run a colour temp around 3000 K...) don't reach. When trying to match to 3000K "white" lighting the blue LEDs on the R1 are absolute overkill but I suspect that 5000K is a much more suitable baseline.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 10:07:41 PM »

The Rogue R1 looks about right.
The Rogue R1 wash was what I mentioned, which has a huge zoom range.  Edges are soft, though, so it depends on what you intend as a "spot".  If that's OK with you, it or its larger brother the R2 wash is a great value.

If you want a hard-edged circle - a la a traditional "spot light", then you need a moving "spot" or profile fixture, and for a fixture that zooms, as Caleb said, you need to go up a class to the Chauvet Maverick MK2 spot or similar, which is much more expensive.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 11:32:26 PM »

If you need more output, there is also an R3 Wash.  It's lower priced and higher output than the Maverick Wash.

Ambient light levels and throw distance/beam angle are two big details many overlook.  What works for a 10' throw in a black room is very different from what is needed for a 50' throw with uncovered windows during daylight hours.   Fixtures used to illuminate a larger zone on stage also need to be much brighter than fixtures that will be direct-viewed. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Steve Kosiba

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 12:48:29 PM »

I'd second the recommendation of R1 or R2 washes - great range of whites and colors, great zoom range.  I've used R2 Washes for specials from a 30'+ foot throw before for a musical, they work great for that given their narrow zoom.  I also used them as fill lights for the whole stage, which is where the other end of the zoom came in handy.  They work just as well at short distances too given the zoom range.

Disclaimer/qualifier - I'm a Chauvet dealer and own both R1 and R2 washes.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 12:48:29 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.