ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: TV vs Monitors vs projector  (Read 11116 times)

steve p. thomas

TV vs Monitors vs projector
« on: April 13, 2017, 10:55:06 AM »

We have an opportunity to upgrade our average after a tornado damaged our sanctuary. We have been thinking about using large monitors or TVs instead of a projector to display words, videos, etc.
 With all the work being done I can run wire and they can brace the wall for mounting the monitors if needed,so nows the time. The room is about 40' deep and 80' wide. We're thinking about replacing our single long throw projector with two TV, one on each side of the stage since the room is wide.

Is it a good idea to use monitors/TV instead of a projector?

Should we use TVs or computer monitors? I'm not sure about things like resolution. We'll generate all the video from  laptop pc.

Any idea how to figure how big the screens ned to be? The farthest away anyone sits will be about 50:, and some will be only 15' from the screen. I know 50"-55" TVs are cheap.

What type of cable do we want to use to feed the signal (about a 70' run).

Steve

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: TV vs Monitors vs projector
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 11:23:08 AM »

We have an opportunity to upgrade our average after a tornado damaged our sanctuary. We have been thinking about using large monitors or TVs instead of a projector to display words, videos, etc.
 With all the work being done I can run wire and they can brace the wall for mounting the monitors if needed,so nows the time. The room is about 40' deep and 80' wide. We're thinking about replacing our single long throw projector with two TV, one on each side of the stage since the room is wide.

Is it a good idea to use monitors/TV instead of a projector?

Should we use TVs or computer monitors? I'm not sure about things like resolution. We'll generate all the video from  laptop pc.

Any idea how to figure how big the screens ned to be? The farthest away anyone sits will be about 50:, and some will be only 15' from the screen. I know 50"-55" TVs are cheap.

What type of cable do we want to use to feed the signal (about a 70' run).

Steve

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
There are online calculators that go into more detail about the theory of screen size vs viewing distance.  Different applications call for different ratios - a view-filling movie theater has a different goal than I just need to read a few words.

For a 50' viewing distance I think the minimum size that would be even remotely workable would be a 10' wide screen, which translates to a 213" TV.  If that TV existed it would be enormously expensive.  Doing this with screens and projectors is very reasonable - screens are ~$1000 in this size, and 4500 lumen projectors are $1200 - $1500 each.

A 55" TV might be viewable from 20', not from 50'.  I would go the projector route.

David Allred

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 03:04:27 PM »

I would factor ambient room lighting as well. 

Or... post everything on Facebook.  (Thank where a lot of people are anyway during the sermon.)  Mass-text pictures.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 03:12:27 PM »

Just "go live" on Facebook like one of our campus's pastors do even though they have a live-stream smh.

If the room is shallow enough I prefer TV's to projector. But, with that said; projector(s) are needed for larger screen sizes for further viewing distances.

Run multiple cables: HDMI, VGA, Cat6, & IR repeater cable (mic cable).
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 03:34:57 PM »

lumen rating on projectors are directly related to screen size
and throw distance and ambient lighting.
  Rear projection (if you have the space )
will be a better cost effective choice :)
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 09:54:19 PM »

I've seen TVs/monitors used for lyric projection in churches in a few places and didn't like them at any of them - too small, suffered from glare.  If you have perfectly controlled lighting in a small space, I think they could possibly work out, but I think your best bet here is the projector.  I will say though that I do like having two screens on either side rather than one in the middle.  One in the middle makes the screen feel too important in my opinion.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 11:41:28 PM »

lumen rating on projectors are directly related to screen size
and throw distance and ambient lighting.
  Rear projection (if you have the space )
will be a better cost effective choice :)
I don't know about rear projection anymore.  You need a really bright projector, then have to deal with hot spotting.  It's very rare now that we install rear projection, usually rear is replaced with front, or LED wall.  Rear works better with plexi or glass screens, but they aren't cheap. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

steve p. thomas

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 10:14:29 PM »

I don't know about rear projection anymore.  You need a really bright projector, then have to deal with hot spotting.  It's very rare now that we install rear projection, usually rear is replaced with front, or LED wall.  Rear works better with plexi or glass screens, but they aren't cheap.

I do think we are going to need to use projectors, if only for image size.  We can afford at max 65" diagonal TVs.  Those are about 34" tall.  The only metric I've seen is to use the screen height as 1/8th to 1/10th of the distance you can see it.  So a 34" screen at 1/10th the distance would be a max if 340", or about 28 feet.  My back row is 39 feet from the front wall.  So we'd need at least 90 inch screens, and we can't afford those.  So, back to projectors I think.  Unless someone else has better info (this was from the internet, so it must be true!  ;D

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 10:23:31 PM »

Projectors - yes.  Rear projection - probably not.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Lance Rectanus

• NW Ohio
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 10:54:01 PM »

I do think we are going to need to use projectors, if only for image size.  We can afford at max 65" diagonal TVs.  Those are about 34" tall.  The only metric I've seen is to use the screen height as 1/8th to 1/10th of the distance you can see it.  So a 34" screen at 1/10th the distance would be a max if 340", or about 28 feet.  My back row is 39 feet from the front wall.  So we'd need at least 90 inch screens, and we can't afford those.  So, back to projectors I think.  Unless someone else has better info (this was from the internet, so it must be true!  ;D

We installed 2 70" screens two years ago and are very happy with them. Traditional rectangular sanctuary layout, seats 200 people if we pack them in. 60-65 feet from the screens to the back wall. For song lyrics I try to keep it to 4 or 5 lines of text but will occasionally go up to 6 lines. This yields text 4-5" tall, very crisp, very legible. Never any complaints from any of our members about legibility or glare. I run sound from the balcony - roughly 75 feet away. The only issue I have is that they are partially blocked by our lights. I only ever have people sitting "upstairs" on Christmas Eve and Easter, so we don't consider this a huge issue at the moment.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 10:54:01 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.