ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: How I feel...Rant  (Read 7995 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: How I feel...Rant
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 02:08:33 PM »

I don't know if this makes sense (yet?) but they are developing 3D printing technology to handle different media, including metal. At some point you may be able to roll your own obscure o-rings, gaskets , whatever.

Jay Leno reportedly has two printers to make impossible to find parts for his antique classic cars, and detroit already uses metal 3D printing to make prototypes.

JR

Woohoo!!!

10 out of 10 for 7 of 9!
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Lee Douglas

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 06:22:13 PM »

Apparently you felt no need to have any inventory in stock either.  :-\

JR

I had to stop stocking a lot of inventory when distributors told me that the product warranty started when I purchased an item, not when I sold it to my client.  Even when purchased for resale.  Different story with factory direct relationships.  But the last thing I needed was inventory hemorrhaging their warranties on my shelves.
My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot...

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2017, 12:52:27 PM »

I WAS an Epiphone dealer, direct with Gibson.  Any instrument in stock over 180 days was not warrantied for defects that developed (or weren't discovered until) after that time period.  This superceded the "lifetime warranty" to the end user for defects in materials and workmanship!  Ever tried to sell a defective guitar to a customer!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2017, 01:06:23 PM »

I've watched distribution evolve over a few decades and it hasn't stopped. E commerce will likely grow to be the preferred medium for purchases.

This will cut many out of the supply chain who haven't figured out how to add more value to the end customer than they consume. 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 01:52:22 AM »

Do any of the companies you ordered from sell signs?
I feel this is from them...
Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 12:18:28 PM »

Three different manufacturers (they actually make the SKUs) are out of stock and and nobody can tell you when they will have them?  Perhaps you are not talking to the right people. Dealers were able to find me at Peavey when some of my hot products were out of stock. (I resisted the temptation to forward those calls to the factory manager I was fighting with to build more mixers.)

That sounds like an opportunity for at least one of the manufacturers.

I recall a time, long long ago, when Peavey stayed in constant back order because the dealers anticipated increasing sales and bought to hold JIC inventory in their stores. Peavey had the luxury of always having a home for their full production they built as they could increase that production.... but alas that world changed well before the end of last century.   

Apparently you felt no need to have any inventory in stock either.  :-\

JR

I'm not a manufacture who supplies the country, merely as small sound company trying to take care of my local customers.  ;)

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 01:06:00 PM »

I'm not a manufacture who supplies the country, merely as small sound company trying to take care of my local customers.  ;)
At the risk of repeating exactly what I said already, let's see if I got this right. You placed orders for some "standard" items from 3 different manufacturers and days later they haven't shipped and can't tell you when.

I will ASSume you ordered different "standard" items from the different manufacturers.

No manufacturer makes sales when they can't deliver. Just like it would cost you money to inventory "standard" items, it costs the manufacturers to do that too. The difficult part is having just enough to never run short. That is not a valid excuse for poor customer service (which costs extra money too.)

Some industries are extremely sensitive to product availability. Fixed install contractors can have a full job invoice go unpaid because they are back-ordered one single SKU.

I do not know the specifics of your multiple standard items being out of stock, but you or they need to make adjustments or it will probably happen again.

Modern manufacturing has longer supply chains than ever before so ramping up and/or slowing down production runs can involve months of lag.

JR

PS: back in the old days sound companies (except for very large ones) could not buy product direct from manufacturers, and could never sell new gear to end users. This seems like a variation on being a real dealer but without store and inventory. That means all else equal you should make more profit than stocking dealers who carry inventory (ASSuming you sell at same price). How could this possibly go wrong (especially for the existing dealers as they slowly fade from existence)?  :o

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2017, 02:59:15 PM »

At the risk of repeating exactly what I said already, let's see if I got this right. You placed orders for some "standard" items from 3 different manufacturers and days later they haven't shipped and can't tell you when.

I will ASSume you ordered different "standard" items from the different manufacturers.

No manufacturer makes sales when they can't deliver. Just like it would cost you money to inventory "standard" items, it costs the manufacturers to do that too. The difficult part is having just enough to never run short. That is not a valid excuse for poor customer service (which costs extra money too.)

Some industries are extremely sensitive to product availability. Fixed install contractors can have a full job invoice go unpaid because they are back-ordered one single SKU.

I do not know the specifics of your multiple standard items being out of stock, but you or they need to make adjustments or it will probably happen again.

Modern manufacturing has longer supply chains than ever before so ramping up and/or slowing down production runs can involve months of lag.

JR

PS: back in the old days sound companies (except for very large ones) could not buy product direct from manufacturers, and could never sell new gear to end users. This seems like a variation on being a real dealer but without store and inventory. That means all else equal you should make more profit than stocking dealers who carry inventory (ASSuming you sell at same price). How could this possibly go wrong (especially for the existing dealers as they slowly fade from existence)?  :o

I worked for a large industrial valve manufacture for 35+ years. There are certain items that "should" always be in stock.

I don't want to call out any names.

I ordered a plain vanilla, well known wired handheld microphone.....out of stock, could not tell me when they can fill the order.

I ordered a plain vanilla, well known power amp....out of stock, could not tell me when they can fill my order.

I ordered a plain vanilla, well know raw speaker...out of stock, could not tell me when my order can be filled.

That's a bit frustrating IMO.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 03:29:15 PM »

I worked for a large industrial valve manufacture for 35+ years. There are certain items that "should" always be in stock.

I don't want to call out any names.

I ordered a plain vanilla, well known wired handheld microphone.....out of stock, could not tell me when they can fill the order.

I ordered a plain vanilla, well known power amp....out of stock, could not tell me when they can fill my order.

I ordered a plain vanilla, well know raw speaker...out of stock, could not tell me when my order can be filled.

That's a bit frustrating IMO.

As the market matures and squeezes the last drop of excess profit from older established product lines something must give...

You want low prices or easy 24x7 availability...  pick one.

It could get worse, while Amazon is buying their own airplanes to ship stuff from China faster...

Interesting times...If you don't like it now, just wait a while. 

JR

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 04:29:00 PM »

Interesting times...If you don't like it now, just wait a while. 

JR

Kind of Will Rogers-like, JR.

"Remember that future we warned you about?  This is it!"  Max Headroom
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 04:29:00 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.