ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connecting stage boxes  (Read 3371 times)

Joel Colin

Connecting stage boxes
« on: April 11, 2017, 06:47:56 PM »

I feel the need to hold back from asking this question because it seems extremely self-explanatory, but I couldn't find anything on the web about it.
Is it okay to connect two stage boxes together before going through to the mixer.
Our mixer is a Yamaha emx5014c, and our stage boxes are analogue.
I have seen other churches do it but I feel the need to confirm that it's okay to do.
Thanks
Joel C

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
Re: Connecting stage boxes
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 07:46:27 PM »

Are asking if it is acceptable to have the outputs of one stage box feed the inputs of another stage box gain additional length?  Or are "sub" (drum, keyboard etc.) snakes feeding in to the main snake? 

Either way it is acceptable.  It really shouldn't matter as long as the cables and connectors are working correctly.  It is like extending a mic cable by plugging in another cable.

Ideally, it would be better to have a cable the correct length without additional connections (which could be subject to dirt and corrosion), but mic cables get extended all the time with good results.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 01:36:34 AM »

I'm not exactly clear what you're getting at, but I imagine a few possible scenarios:
  • Conduit from stage box A connects to stage box B. Conduit from stage box B goes to FOH. Wiring from box A feeds through box B without termination at box b. Jack 1 in box A and Jack 1 in box B both terminate at FOH as two different connectors (properly labeled, of course). This is perfectly acceptable.
  • Same conduit scenario, EXCEPT cables from box A are terminated at box B. Jack A1 is termated only in box B; only jack B1 terminates at FOH. Jack A1 does not terminate at FOH. This is acceptable, but may reduce your flexibility if the total count of runs back to FOH is lower.
  • Same conduit scenario, EXCEPT the runs from box A are connected in parallel with the connectors in box B. That is, jack 1 at box A is wired directly to jack 1 in box B which is also wired to FOH. A single cable at FOH is labeled "Jack 1" and terminates both jacks A1 and B1. DO NOT DO THIS. This is the same as using "Y" cables, which is not recommended for inputs.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 01:36:34 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.