ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas Pro 2 scene question  (Read 5927 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Midas Pro 2 scene question
« on: April 08, 2017, 09:45:21 AM »

I'm on a festival and have a show called "Festival" with a scene called "Festival Template"
Guest comes in with a stick and has a show file called "My Show" and a scene called "My Band"
I want to get "My Band" into the "Festival" show file so we can change scenes rather than load show files.
I have tries copy and paste but that only works within the show file and not from show file to show file.
How?
Am I missing something obvious?
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Bryan French

Re: Midas Pro 2 scene question
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 07:51:09 PM »

Probably too late for this. But here's the procedure:
1. Starting with the "festival" show file, Hardware Safe the LR bus and any channel that you don't want changing with scene or show file changes.
2. Load band's show file.
2. Go to the their scene.
3. Load the "festival" show file and do not use the Next or Back buttons.
4. Under automation, click on an empty scene.
5. Push the store scene button, select overwrite scene, name it, and save.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 06:03:13 PM »

Probably too late for this. But here's the procedure:
1. Starting with the "festival" show file, Hardware Safe the LR bus and any channel that you don't want changing with scene or show file changes.
2. Load band's show file.
2. Go to the their scene.
3. Load the "festival" show file and do not use the Next or Back buttons.
4. Under automation, click on an empty scene.
5. Push the store scene button, select overwrite scene, name it, and save.
You are not too late as the "I'm at a festival" was to set the stage for the question. I'm actually sitting at home at my desk :)
I tried what you suggested but once you load the My Show show file, it takes the scenes away that were in the Festival show file.
The safe channels will not change but that is not what I was looking for.
I don't see a way to get both the My Band scene and the Festival Template scene together in the same Show File.
I want scenes from 2 different show files to be merged into one show file.
I will be taking a course on the Pro 2 this week so will have a chance to ask.

Bryan French

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 08:51:45 PM »

it takes the scenes away that were in the Festival show file.

Exactly, but the scene you were on is still loaded in the console surface when you first load the "festival" show. So, load the band's show file and go to the scene they mix from. After you're on the band's scene reload the "festival" show file but don't advance any scene. When the show file loads it should load to the "safe" scene, which will put you in the "festival" show file but the board will still be configured in the last scene it was in before you loaded the "festival" show. Now, with the mouse, click on an empty scene, click or press the store button, overwrite scene, and that band's scene will now be a scene in the "festival" show.

You can only transfer one scene at a time this way. If you need to do multiple scenes, then you'll have to repeat this procedure for every scene you wish to transfer between show files.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 07:10:04 AM »

Exactly, but the scene you were on is still loaded in the console surface when you first load the "festival" show. So, load the band's show file and go to the scene they mix from. After you're on the band's scene reload the "festival" show file but don't advance any scene. When the show file loads it should load to the "safe" scene, which will put you in the "festival" show file but the board will still be configured in the last scene it was in before you loaded the "festival" show. Now, with the mouse, click on an empty scene, click or press the store button, overwrite scene, and that band's scene will now be a scene in the "festival" show.

You can only transfer one scene at a time this way. If you need to do multiple scenes, then you'll have to repeat this procedure for every scene you wish to transfer between show files.
I am trying this on the desk top application so that might be the issue.
I will be on the console tomorrow and will try your solution.
Thanks

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 02:03:35 PM »

I am trying this on the desk top application so that might be the issue.
I will be on the console tomorrow and will try your solution.
Thanks

hey

what Bryan means is that on a midas there is a difference between loading a show file, and recalling a scene.

When you load a show file, that file goes into memory and shows it's list of scenes in the automation page. But it doesn't actually change the desk or any of the channels at that point, they stay with whatever was there previously until you then load a scene from that show. Its a two step process.

So you can load the guest's "My Show" show file. Then load the "my band" scene, which will populate the guest engineer's scene onto the desk/faders etc.

Now load the "festival" show file.  But as long as you don't take the second step of actually loading a scene from the festival show file, it'll still be the guest's "my band" scene that's actually on the faders, even though its your festival show file that's loaded into memory.

So at this point you can save the "my band" scene thats on the faders into an empty slot on the festival show file.

(though as you say it may be slightly different on software vs actual surface)

K

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 02:41:39 PM »

hey

what Bryan means is that on a midas there is a difference between loading a show file, and recalling a scene.

When you load a show file, that file goes into memory and shows it's list of scenes in the automation page. But it doesn't actually change the desk or any of the channels at that point, they stay with whatever was there previously until you then load a scene from that show. Its a two step process.

I understand how the show file and scenes work and was trying to get my scene files in one show file using the off line editor as the console is in another city.
Doesn't work.
Will have to wait until I can get my hands on the hardware later this week.
thanks  :)

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 02:58:54 PM »

I understand how the show file and scenes work and was trying to get my scene files in one show file using the off line editor as the console is in another city.
Doesn't work.
Will have to wait until I can get my hands on the hardware later this week.
thanks  :)

Just booted up my MBP and gave it a try, and seemed to work ok for me. Was able to take a scene from a showfile, load it onto the faders, and then save it into another showfile. Once there I could move between scenes in the new file, including the newly imported one, and all the settings seemed to have transferred ok.

So it does work, maybe a version thing stopping it from working on yours?  Think I'm on v3.4 just now.

K

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 05:09:22 PM »

Just booted up my MBP and gave it a try, and seemed to work ok for me. Was able to take a scene from a showfile, load it onto the faders, and then save it into another showfile. Once there I could move between scenes in the new file, including the newly imported one, and all the settings seemed to have transferred ok.

So it does work, maybe a version thing stopping it from working on yours?  Think I'm on v3.4 just now.

K
I shall go back and try again.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 05:22:37 PM »

Got it!

When you "save scene" in the new .show folder, it requires you to name it and doesn't use the name it already has. ::)

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 05:59:31 PM by Keith Broughton »

Bryan French

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 06:26:19 PM »

Got it!

When you "save scene" in the new .show folder, it requires you to name it and doesn't use the name it already has. ::)

Yes!!! I like the Midas console, but find it difficult to explain its UI quirks to others. I'm glad you figured it out!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 06:46:53 PM »

So, for those of you watching at home, here is how you save a scene to another .show folder. Midas Pro 2

Go to files and select  A.show folder and load it.
Go to Automation and select your Scene and select Now.
You should have the scene of your choice active on the console.
Go to files and select  B.show folder and load it.
Go to Automation ... DO NOT select Now. You will see the .scene files from the B.show folder listed but not the current scene on the console. (no sweat...It's still active)
Select Store Scene. The name of the current scene on the console will not show(and therein is the bug ::)).You have to name it.
Select Store To Next Scene. Make sure you are not in Overwrite Scene!
You will now have the active scene you just named and  "imported" to the B.show folder and should be with all the other scenes from the B.show folder.
The active scene is still in play on the console and you can now select another scene when required.

Don't forget to Save (top left of screen) the current B.show file and you can re name it if desired.

Hope this makes sense.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 06:54:34 PM by Keith Broughton »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 06:46:53 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.