ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Martin THRILL?  (Read 3767 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Martin THRILL?
« on: April 06, 2017, 10:56:27 PM »

So I found this "new" product coming soon to Martin's lineup...

http://www.martin.com/en-us/product-details/thrill-multi-fx-led

Is it fair to say that Martin has finally passed the point of no return, or are they going the route of the other Harman brands and now offering everything from disposable, entry-level garbage to top-end professional equipment?  I was and still am a supporter/user of their Mania Series, mostly because those fixtures were a step above the generic ADJ/Chauvet effect lights both in terms of output and build quality.  This just looks like a rebranded and premium-priced ADJ Stinger...

Edit:

But wait there's more!!!  Now you can buy ALL your favorite Chauvet and ADJ gear with the Martin "Professional" sticker on the side...

http://martin.com/thrill
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:07:52 PM by Jeff Lelko »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Martin THRILL?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 09:04:15 AM »

So I found this "new" product coming soon to Martin's lineup...

http://www.martin.com/en-us/product-details/thrill-multi-fx-led

Is it fair to say that Martin has finally passed the point of no return, or are they going the route of the other Harman brands and now offering everything from disposable, entry-level garbage to top-end professional equipment?  I was and still am a supporter/user of their Mania Series, mostly because those fixtures were a step above the generic ADJ/Chauvet effect lights both in terms of output and build quality.  This just looks like a rebranded and premium-priced ADJ Stinger...

Edit:

But wait there's more!!!  Now you can buy ALL your favorite Chauvet and ADJ gear with the Martin "Professional" sticker on the side...

http://martin.com/thrill
Lol.  Once again, our market is miniscule; all the money is at the low end.

The much larger company I partner with is a Martin shop and they keep trying to sell me on Martin gear, but the Chauvet Pro stuff has met my needs for 35% less money.  I just ordered a couple Chauvet Maverick MK2 spot movers for about that same price delta to the Mac Quantum Profile - hopefully I'll have the same luck with those as my other Chauvet gear.

I'm am now up to one Martin product - an M-Touch, which is a really creative alternative to a $8,000 RoadHog, and other than the Strand Neo that no one seems interested in, is pretty much the only way to get "moving faders" on a console for less than $20,000. 

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 12:20:31 PM »

Lol.  Once again, our market is miniscule; all the money is at the low end.

The much larger company I partner with is a Martin shop and they keep trying to sell me on Martin gear, but the Chauvet Pro stuff has met my needs for 35% less money.  I just ordered a couple Chauvet Maverick MK2 spot movers for about that same price delta to the Mac Quantum Profile - hopefully I'll have the same luck with those as my other Chauvet gear.

I'm am now up to one Martin product - an M-Touch, which is a really creative alternative to a $8,000 RoadHog, and other than the Strand Neo that no one seems interested in, is pretty much the only way to get "moving faders" on a console for less than $20,000.

Yeah, very true.  I know I keep saying it, but just how many budget LED Pars can the market really support?!?  Maybe I should import a container of generic Chinese LED lights, put my name on them, and take it to ebay!  Thinking back to the days of the Martin Acrobat, (original) Wizard, T-Rex, Raptor, Roboscan 812, etc., I know they've always made effect lights and lower budget movers, but those were at least substantial in build quality and targeted to the higher-end DJ/club market.  Even the Mania Series was decent.  These just look like house party stuff, even more so given that the product description advertises to the "Home Enthusiast" aka bedroom DJ.  I'll stick with my units that are labeled "Not for Residential Use"...

I totally agree with you on the Chauvet Pro line, to the point that I don't even really shop Martin's product line much anymore.  The Rush stuff looks to be okay but I have yet to see it in the wild, and for the same money I'd rather go for the Chauvet Rogue Series.  Good luck with your Mavericks!  I would have no hesitation buying those myself.  What I'm really wanting to see in person is the Rogue RH1 Hybrid...mostly to see if it can really stand up to a Robe Pointe. 

The M-PC and accessory products are really the only things I see of relevance in their product line anymore.  The Mac Aura is useful, but again, for the money I can do much better with Chauvet.  I've been debating trading up my old HES Studio Beams for Mac 700s, but that's about the only "Martin thought" I have anymore.  Oh well, we'll see what happens! 

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 03:21:42 PM »

I loved Martin products. I have some SCX-600s and some Mac 250 Entoures  that I still use to this day. I felt the Mania line was pretty good, the Rush line was "Rushed" with some of it already discontinued. I find myself looking more and more at the Chauvet Pro line if I decide to sell what I have and go another direction.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 07:03:47 AM »

Certainly not tour/concert stuff.  Not even nightclub grade.  But certainly up to the standards required by bars and mobile DJs.

A light needs to produce a ROI, be it drinks sold or rental revenue.  Expensive lights have a market, and there are a few people out there who are willing to pay top dollar for premium lights.  Then there is a market vacuum down to where people want to pay $50-200 a night for enough lights to make a show.

I have 3 of the Chauvet version of this light.  They work well and produce a bunch of different looks out of a single fixture.  If I was showing up with one light instead of 30, this would probably be it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 07:03:47 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.