ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF L18P300 on EV ELX118p  (Read 815 times)

Pedro Marques

Re: RCF L18P300 on EV ELX118p
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 02:44:09 pm »

Hi Pedro,

If your powered sub's limiter light is blinking at 1/2 volume, a more powerful speaker will not help. The limiter indicates the amplifier is clipping and limiting its output.

I suspect you are playing the speaker louder than it is able to go, or your incoming signal gain structure is incorrect.

Regardless, the original EV driver is an EV F 01U 174 472. I was unable to find much technical data for the speaker (hole spacing, basket diameter/depth, etc). Full Compass does sell a replacement driver: http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/192701-Electro-Voice-F01U174472

But, as I mentioned here, I don't believe the driver is the problem. You likely need a more powerful subwoofer, more subwoofers, or you need to fix the structure of your signal to help eliminate the limiting and clipping.

What I want to ask is if a more powerful speaker will give more headroom to the amplifier!?

Pedro Marques

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 02:55:02 pm »

Hi Pedro,

If your powered sub's limiter light is blinking at 1/2 volume, a more powerful speaker will not help. The limiter indicates the amplifier is clipping and limiting its output.

I suspect you are playing the speaker louder than it is able to go, or your incoming signal gain structure is incorrect.

Regardless, the original EV driver is an EV F 01U 174 472. I was unable to find much technical data for the speaker (hole spacing, basket diameter/depth, etc). Full Compass does sell a replacement driver: http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/192701-Electro-Voice-F01U174472

But, as I mentioned here, I don't believe the driver is the problem. You likely need a more powerful subwoofer, more subwoofers, or you need to fix the structure of your signal to help eliminate the limiting and clipping.

What I want to ask is if a more powerful speaker will give more headroom for the amp.

And yes I need a more powerfuld subwoofer.

Steve Litscher

• 608 Sound and Light
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 03:40:55 pm »

What I want to ask is if a more powerful speaker will give more headroom for the amp.

No. It will not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 04:41:09 pm »

Mark - I respectfully disagree with you.  Mollycoddling and doing someone else's work for them does not help increase knowledge or develop useful professional skills.

Leading someone down the path to learning how you select a driver for a cabinet, along with the correct application assists in professional development.

I did however note that this may be an ESOL issue and simply an inability on behalf of the OP to communicate the request.

Hi Scott, thanks for the stand-up comments.  I agree with your points about what ultimately helps us develop.
My years have simply led me to believe that putting the human connect side, ahead of the developing knowledge and professional skills side, most often proves to work best for achieving all goals. 
So I guess that's what i was really thanking Bill for...more so than for the research he is doing ...

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 05:00:04 pm »

Pedro, I am sorry to say that EV was not able to send me a spec sheet on this speaker.  I am sure you can put the RCF in the cabinet, but it's not going to get you any additional power.  It would seem to me that you might want to review your gain structure to insure that you aren't clipping the power amp to early.

Sorry.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound, Inc

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Pedro Marques

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 06:01:52 pm »

Pedro, I am sorry to say that EV was not able to send me a spec sheet on this speaker.  I am sure you can put the RCF in the cabinet, but it's not going to get you any additional power.  It would seem to me that you might want to review your gain structure to insure that you aren't clipping the power amp to early.

Sorry.

Bill

Tank you Bill, tanks for your time and efford.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 16 queries.