ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Twisted Pair wire for Install  (Read 6965 times)

Peter Kowalczyk

Twisted Pair wire for Install
« on: April 04, 2017, 11:05:06 PM »

Heyo,

I'm searching for some shielded twisted pair wire for an audio installation.  It will carry line-level analog audio from a mixer or system processor to some self-powered speakers, and be enclosed in the walls of this new construction.

Searching through Markertek's offerings, West Penn 291 appears to be a very economical option.
West Penn 291 @ Markertek
... but the fact that it's half the price of Belden's similar offerings makes me wonder...

Has anyone used this wire in this capacity before, and would you recommend it?  Would you recommend something different?

Anything else I should consider when spec'ing wire for installed analog balanced audio distribution?  Just emailed the installers to see if they have a recommendation but I figured I'd ask you all while waiting on their response.

Thanks!
P

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Twisted Pair wire for Install
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 06:46:35 AM »

West Penn is great.  X454 (x being color code) if non-plenum, and 25291 if plenum.  If you're pulling through conduit, 454 with various colors is great. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 07:28:44 PM »

Heyo,

I=
Searching through Markertek's offerings, West Penn 291 appears to be a very economical option. West Penn 291 @ Markertek
... but the fact that it's half the price of Belden's similar offerings makes me wonder...

Belden is like Mercedes, West Penn is like Ford. Both will get you to where you are going just as fast as the other. Just depends on how much money you want to spend to get there.  ;D

-Hal

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 08:15:15 PM »

Back in my install days, we used West Penn 291 for line and mic level signals, control lines etc.

I have installed many many miles of it, and never had an issue.

We used all of the resistor color code colors.  It makes it easy to identify the different lines.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 06:51:32 PM »

These days West Penn x454 is my go to for installation.

Many years ago I first started with 291 and it was always very adequate for mic and line level balanced and unbalanced audio signals.

I just love the fact that x454 strips a lot easier than 291 since the foil shield is bonded to the jacket and there is no plastic wrap inside the cable on the x454.

The variety of colors is always handy when you are pulling in a pile of cable.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 11:03:25 PM »

FWIW West Penn is owned by Belden.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 11:26:49 PM »

FWIW West Penn is owned by Belden.

John R.
Interesting... did not know this. Have they always been together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 07:32:20 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They also recently (last year or so) bought Gepco I believe...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 09:48:52 AM »

I think it's been about 10 years.

Gepco was supposedly bought by Belden late last year, not sure if it's a done deal.

John R.

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 08:29:58 PM »

I think it's been about 10 years.

Gepco was supposedly bought by Belden late last year, not sure if it's a done deal.

John R.
My only complaint with the West Penn was it didn't pull out of the cardboard cartons as easily as the Belden, not even close.  If you're only dealing with one carton at a time, you can give each carton a little more tenderness and personal attention but if you're trying to pull 48 pairs plus 5 spares simultaneously I found dealing with West Penn's cardboard boxes a serious pain and time waster.  And then there was all the extra time required to separate the plastic from the wood from the cardboard when taking your empty cartons out to the recycling bins.  Again, If I'd only been dealing with a carton or two possibly I wouldn't feel so strongly annoyed by this but when you're pulling in about 250,000 feet of cable on one project I found the annoyance factor FAR too high.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 10:45:42 PM »

Those boxes are made for pulling a single, maybe two runs. At least that's all I've found them good for. Some are probably better than others I suppose but I can't tell you how many times I've kicked the hell out of one because I was half way through a pull and the thing got all tangled up. "Unreel", "Reel in-a-Box", whatever, doesn't matter. So I decided long ago to prefer my cable on reels and if you are going to do a project that requires any where near 250,000 feet you'll be pulling your hair out (not wire) with those boxes.

Get yourself a couple of these. You can get a lot of 1000' reels of two pair on that.

-Hal

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 09:43:50 AM »

Those boxes are made for pulling a single, maybe two runs. At least that's all I've found them good for. Some are probably better than others I suppose but I can't tell you how many times I've kicked the hell out of one because I was half way through a pull and the thing got all tangled up. "Unreel", "Reel in-a-Box", whatever, doesn't matter. So I decided long ago to prefer my cable on reels and if you are going to do a project that requires any where near 250,000 feet you'll be pulling your hair out (not wire) with those boxes.

Get yourself a couple of these. You can get a lot of 1000' reels of two pair on that.

-Hal
I actually found the small, solidly built, plastic jacks that would elevate lengths of rigid conduit and wooden or metal 1,000' and 5,000' reels quite pleasant to deal with.  The last theater I pulled, we received twisted pair red and black 10 gauge on 5,000' reels (5,000' AFTER twisting) and those were some beefy reels to roll around the project.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 09:47:49 PM »

On a recent install, a retired AT&T tech who pulled cables all his life laughed at us when he saw the wire cart. 
"Fellas, all you need is two chairs and a broom."

John R.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 11:28:14 AM »

On a recent install, a retired AT&T tech who pulled cables all his life laughed at us when he saw the wire cart. 
"Fellas, all you need is two chairs and a broom."

John R.

Two chairs and a broom isn't always easy to come by in new construction.  Besides, try that with Ron's 1000' reel of twisted 10 gauge and you'll be going through quite a few brooms. I've tried all kinds of makeshift reel support ideas over the years. Usually more trouble than they were worth.

-Hal

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 11:28:14 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.