ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Soundcraft Mini Stagebox  (Read 7816 times)

Steve Ferreira

Re: New Soundcraft Mini Stagebox
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 09:26:00 AM »

Where did you get the pricing from?  I would love a stage box for under a grand and get rid of the multicore plus have more returns.  But those of us with Expressions would still need to get a MADI card, which I wonder where the pricing of that will end up?

I have the "older" stage rack and I'm considering making a move to this new rack. The 12 analog lines are WAY too appealing and a cheaper solution then me having to go out and buy AES/EBU to analog converters. Hopefully for those without a rack right now can just buy the cards to put in the console. With the addition of this new rack I hope that Soundcraft has pushed the EOL on the Expression a bit further down the line

Keith Erickson

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 07:44:10 PM »

I have the "older" stage rack and I'm considering making a move to this new rack. The 12 analog lines are WAY too appealing and a cheaper solution then me having to go out and buy AES/EBU to analog converters. Hopefully for those without a rack right now can just buy the cards to put in the console. With the addition of this new rack I hope that Soundcraft has pushed the EOL on the Expression a bit further down the line

The Mic pre's are the same in both the MSBi and the older MSBr.  The MSBr versions will still exist at the higher price.  They do and still will include the USB / MADI combo card for the Si consoles.  This card gives you stage box connectivity via Cat-5 of 32in/32out and 32in/32out over USB for recording, virtual sound check, plugins, etc.  The number of channels for stage / USB can be changed by moving dip switches on the card itself if say you wanted all 64 in to come from a big stage box.

You can also buy this card by itself.

In the case of the Si Impact, you can buy the console which has a card in it, a MSB-32i, then a MSB-32R which comes with the second card and have 64 inputs from stage with 20 analog outs and 8 AES outs.  You still also have full use of the 32 in / 16 out on the back of the desk, patched any way you like as long as you don't exceed the 64 mono channels.

MAP on that whole system is about $5800

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 12:24:42 PM »

Along with this, the Si Impact console will now be able to mix 64 mono and 8 stereo channels for a total of 80ch to mix just like the Si Performer consoles.

Will this have any bearing on the larger format Expressions as well as the performer line?  with the cost of the impact and being able to mix more channels, I'd have to question the need for higher priced expressions and performers.  Individual channel encoders are nice but...

I'd really love to see a small format 16 channel impact and Si Rack mount.  I know the Ui24 is on its way but after playing around with ui16, I still prefer the dedicated app like the QU and x32 have.  Not knocking the Ui, It is a nice little unit.  I just found the layout of the qu easier and faster.

Thomas Le

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 02:45:06 PM »

With that Si Impact firmware update, I'm surprised the Expression isn't discontinued or just revamp the whole Expression line with Si Impact 1, 2 and 3 with improvements from the original.

I'd love to get an Si but the lackluster iPad app and the OS running off an SD card are what makes me sit on the fence.

Ken Braziel

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 03:18:03 PM »

Will this have any bearing on the larger format Expressions as well as the performer line?  with the cost of the impact and being able to mix more channels, I'd have to question the need for higher priced expressions and performers.  Individual channel encoders are nice but...

I could see the Expression getting dropped over time, but both those and the Performer line have one advantage over the Impact that I wouldn't want to lose in my next console: the encoder dials. I mix musicals, having the gains available for all channels without an extra click & reach is really useful for my workflow. So ideally I'd love to see a refresh of the Performers with a higher channel count and better cue management, that would be my ideal small-format console.

Branimir Bozak

• Stara metalika
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 03:24:07 PM »

http://www.soundonsound.com/news/messe-soundcraft-mini-stageboxes-unveiled

"The new rack-mount stageboxes are equipped with high-quality components, including Studer-designed preamps, which outperform even the Si’s highly-regarded pres."

Shut up and take my money! :)

ps: I own the Expression and it "feels" like an overall quality product, on the other hand Impact left a "cheap" impression on me. Regarding exterior, that is.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 03:26:08 PM by Branimir Bozak »
If you scoop, it sounds like poop!

Taylor Bazzell

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2017, 05:08:12 PM »

I like the price point, I might get a 32i now, but I suspect your bit about the # of channels-to-mix is wrong. Pretty sure the specifications for the Impact have a limited channel count no matter what interface you're using.

http://www.soundcraft.com/en-US/products/si-impact

EDIT: I looked at the spec-sheet and sure enough you're right, a Firmware update for the Impact unlocked the additional channels:

SOUNDCRAFT SI IMPACT FIRMWARE UPDATE 6
HARMAN recently released a free firmware update for the Soundcraft Si Impact mixing console that enables up to 80 mix tracks when used in conjunction with stageboxes. The update allows Si Impact owners to add a stagebox for additional inputs, while simultaneously using the existing console inputs. By adding a second MADI option card to the console, customers can add a second stagebox and select which inputs to assign to the 80 mixing channels. In addition, with up to 80 total mix tracks, customers can now handle more complex mixing scenarios, like adding an optional Dante card for receiving from a house router,
or outputting to either the back of their console or the stagebox—all while recording up to 32 tracks over USB to a connected digital audio workstation.

I've been lurking around here for a while and this caught my eye. Since "40 inputs to mix" includes the stereo returns (FX), you really only have 32 mic/line inputs out of the box. This is not a huge issue, but it is slightly annoying not having three stagebox inputs available just because I use three channels for line in and talkback. Add vocal mics split onto multiple fader layers for separate monitor mixing, and you can actually run out of inputs fairly quickly. If it's true that they've somehow optimized and updated it to 80 DSP channels, this is huge.

My question is this: has anyone confirmed this outside of the announcement? I am running the current Si Impact firmware (1.1 Build 0006) according to Soundcraft, and I only have 32 mono inputs available with or without the stagebox connected. If there is a firmware update that increases this input count I'd sure like to know where to find it... I can't seem to find information on this subject ANYWHERE expect for a press release from Harman and the MS16i/32i spec sheet.

EDIT:
Further research indicates that the firmware has not been "recently released" as suggested in the MS16i/32i spec sheet. A separate press release from Soundcraft says the firmware update will be released "in April". Since I don't see a download link anywhere on the Soundcraft website, I'm assuming it is not yet available.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 05:54:00 PM by Taylor Bazzell »

Guy Graham

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 11:07:53 AM »

With that Si Impact firmware update, I'm surprised the Expression isn't discontinued or just revamp the whole Expression line with Si Impact 1, 2 and 3 with improvements from the original.

I'd love to get an Si but the lackluster iPad app and the OS running off an SD card are what makes me sit on the fence.

I agree it makes sense to lose the Expression, then release 16 and 32 fader versions of the Impact - to make models 1, 2 and 3. I'd happily swap the channel strip encoder for scribble strips, plus having the MADI card built in alongside an additional card slot.

I suspect the rack mountable model would be quite successful, as the Performer 1 is a great as part of a compact rolling rack rig. By comparison the alternative digital desks with scribble strips - M32R, QL1 etc, are really tall, which is great for seeing the screen and propping up tablets at outdoor events, but adds unnecessary bulk for some users.

For my uses, I don't really need the iPad app. What I like about the small Soundcraft desks is their simple user interface. It's the only one that doesn't seem to frighten non-technical types, who are only familiar with analogue workflows.

When I first saw the photos (posted here?) of the SD card seated inside, I was quite surprised as well. But I've not studied the internals of other digital desks, so I don't really know if that is unusual or a potential problem.

Not being a qualified digital console engineer/designer/programmer, I'm not well placed to pass judgement on such decisions. If I was in the market - it wouldn't put me off buying one!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 07:32:06 AM »

I'd really love to see a small format 16 channel impact and Si Rack mount.  I know the Ui24 is on its way but after playing around with ui16, I still prefer the dedicated app like the QU and x32 have.  Not knocking the Ui, It is a nice little unit.  I just found the layout of the qu easier and faster.

You can't compare an Impact to a Performer. Two very different beasts, and still top of the Si line.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 07:32:06 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.