ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Passive or Active  (Read 13027 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Passive or Active
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 07:11:33 AM »

First of all, thank you for your reply.

I have one question regarding a previous setup that I had. I originally had an active Di Box (https://www.storedj.com.au/behringer-ultra-di-di20-2-channel-di-box-splitter) running out from the acoustic guitar (with a built in preamp) and then into front of house. It produced a large hiss noise, and I wondered where this was coming from. I then tried plugging the electric keyboard into the active DI and the same result was present. I then concluded that the Di box was broken. Would the hiss have occurred because I did not use a passive Di box instead of the active, because both instruments had built in preamps?
Robert is right - your DI is very low-quality and/or broken; it's not an active vs. passive thing.

Generally speaking, active DI boxes were designed for very low-level devices like passive guitar pickups because their extremely high input impedance won't load the guitar pickup down which could affect the guitar tone. That said, a quality active DI can take a very high level as well.  If I remember correctly, one of the first active DI boxes - the Countryman 85 - boasted that it could take a 120v mains level signal without damage.

If necessary, the pad switch is there to knock down really hot signals.

Get a good active DI and you will be fine. The Radial Pro48 is a great choice at a reasonable cost, as is the BSS mentioned, however I prefer the Radial as the BSS effectively has an off switch that is problematic.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 08:34:29 AM »

A guitar with a built in preamp or any guitar with a peddle board will work very well with a quality pasive DI. There are others, but any passive DI with a Jensen transformer is a quality DI.  I prefer passive because there is less to go wrong on a Sunday morning. 
Not to Code

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 08:42:46 AM »

A guitar with a built in preamp or any guitar with a peddle board will work very well with a quality pasive DI. There are others, but any passive DI with a Jensen transformer is a quality DI.  I prefer passive because there is less to go wrong on a Sunday morning.

This.

I've spent frantic minutes many many times tracking down issues with Active Di's, but not once have i had a passive one plugged in and thought to myself "this sounds terrible.  If only i had an Active DI".  And that's even with relatively cheap passive DI's.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 11:15:13 AM »

This is how I see it. The emphasis on quality!
I do keep a couple of active DIs for instruments with piezo pickups.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 11:55:32 AM »

. . . not once have i had a passive one plugged in and thought to myself "this sounds terrible.  If only i had an Active DI". . .

That sums up my thinking.

I don't think I own any gear that requires an active DI box.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 10:09:31 PM »

This is how I see it. The emphasis on quality!
I do keep a couple of active DIs for instruments with piezo pickups.
A good number of upright basses are running around with piezos and no pre-amps. I like a J48 for those.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2018, 04:11:34 AM »

The only real reason I have both types in my inventory is because there are certain things that do like the input impedance of passive units. Typically a passive DI has in input impedance of around 50k, this is fine for most things, but it can load down other high impedance devises. Typically you want a 10:1 ratio of input impedance to the source. A guitar pickup with a 10k impedance does not always like running into a 50k load. The typical impedance that most amplifiers have at their input ranges from 1meg. - 3meg. The higher input impedance is typically seen on bass guitar amps. This is likely why the early Countryman 85's were so popular with bassists. It has a very high 10meg impedance and it doesn't load down the basses passive or active components.

I have never heard a bad passive DI. In fact Active DI's are more prone to have electrical issues and a character of sound to them. Passive DI's even with run of the mill transformers sound fine. I have a trio of Rolls DB25 matchboxes that are perfectly flat from 20hz to 20khz at well above line level. The only way they are coloring the sound is if the cable that comes from the instrument is 100' long. These have a 50k input impedance, and I do notice that when an electric guitar is plugged straight in that there is a loss in hi's ( at least what I would imagine there should be ). Active units solve that issue at the expense of noise and a higher potential for issues. Loud pops when disconnecting, hiss and loud noises when the box is moved and the connection is disturbed are just some of the potential aggravations. I had a Radial active unit even take a crap on me mid show once........ Wasn't happy about that. The circuit in some of the active units is just way to complicated. Every single component in there is a potential failure waiting to happen. A passive DI can be simplified into a total number of parts that you can count on one hand.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 08:59:09 AM »

A passive DI can be simplified into a total number of parts that you can count on one hand.

As built   Input jack, Transformer, Resistor, Ground Lift Switch, output jack.
Not to Code

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 11:23:40 AM »

No jokes I have had a JDI not work but my KT DN100 working fine on stage running a passive bass guitar. I was still a lacky at that time but I remembered the rule in the OP, if its passive put an active DI on it, if its active put a passive DI on it so when the BE couldn't figure out what was going on I just followed the rule and swapped the DI for the active DN100 and presto it worked.

I'm in the camp of always use a high quality active DI, have been using the same KT DN100s for a few years and haven't had a single issue with them, and this is a church they get abused.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 12:37:09 PM »

The KT DN100 is probably my favorite active di. Mostly because you don't need special connectors to run into it the other way. Not a fan of the rubber purple jacket, but that is splitting hairs. They are a pretty robust circuit and the price is reasonable. I think you can get them for around $100 these days.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 12:37:09 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.