Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > HistoryOfConcertSound.org

Anyone on the 1973 Pink Floyd Tour?

(1/10) > >>

Mike Sokol:
I'm looking for anyone who was on the 1973 leg of the Dark Side of the Moon Tour. I'm trying to verify if the Band stopped at the Antietam Battlefield on March 21, 1973 in Sharpsburg, MD for any reason at all. I live a few miles from Sharpsburg and don't remember any concert taking place there. In fact, I've done sound for the Maryland Symphony Orchestra in the battlefield many times on the 4th of July, and we have to bring in EVERYTHING including a portable stage, roof, power, sanitation, etc... I suspect their tour bus might have just stopped there for a break and someone included it as a tour stop. Here's the Widipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Side_of_the_Moon_Tour

So do any of you know anyone who was on that tour?

Rick Powell:

--- Quote from: Mike Sokol on April 02, 2017, 04:13:15 PM ---I'm looking for anyone who was on the 1973 leg of the Dark Side of the Moon Tour. I'm trying to verify if the Band stopped at the Antietam Battlefield on March 21, 1973 in Sharpsburg, MD for any reason at all. I live a few miles from Sharpsburg and don't remember any concert taking place there. In fact, I've done sound for the Maryland Symphony Orchestra in the battlefield many times on the 4th of July, and we have to bring in EVERYTHING including a portable stage, roof, power, sanitation, etc... I suspect their tour bus might have just stopped there for a break and someone included it as a tour stop. Here's the Widipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Side_of_the_Moon_Tour

So do any of you know anyone who was on that tour?

--- End quote ---

http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/pink-floyd-13d6adc5.html?page=49

Setlist FM doesn't have this date on the tour, and yet has a detailed setlist for the bookends around this date. You may be correct, or it was some impromptu acoustic jam or something between gigs.

Mike Sokol:

--- Quote from: Rick Powell on April 10, 2017, 12:06:57 AM ---http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/pink-floyd-13d6adc5.html?page=49

Setlist FM doesn't have this date on the tour, and yet has a detailed setlist for the bookends around this date. You may be correct, or it was some impromptu acoustic jam or something between gigs.

--- End quote ---

One of my musicians buddies says that Roger Waters is an American History buff and especially interested in the Civil War period. So maybe the tour bus stopped off the visit the Antietam Battlefield which is a big tourist stop. But why would the date and place make it onto their tour schedule. The mystery continues.

Rick Earl:

--- Quote from: Mike Sokol on April 10, 2017, 07:06:05 AM ---One of my musicians buddies says that Roger Waters is an American History buff and especially interested in the Civil War period. So maybe the tour bus stopped off the visit the Antietam Battlefield which is a big tourist stop. But why would the date and place make it onto their tour schedule. The mystery continues.

--- End quote ---

Unless they got the tour schedule from the band/crew one tour books - When I was on tour, our books also had listings for non-performance stops if they were significant, I remember a DC stop in between a Baltimore and Richmond date specifically being in our book so we could make plans.

Mike Sokol:

--- Quote from: Rick Earl on April 10, 2017, 02:22:33 PM ---Unless they got the tour schedule from the band/crew one tour books - When I was on tour, our books also had listings for non-performance stops if they were significant, I remember a DC stop in between a Baltimore and Richmond date specifically being in our book so we could make plans.

--- End quote ---

That's sort of what we're thinking. My guitar player and I have floated the idea of having a DSOTM party in Surround Sound at Antietam Battlefield next March 21st. Sort of a reunion tour for the gig that didn't happen. I have all the gear and could easily do it, but of course we'll need permission from the Antietam Battlefield management. There's a ton of room out there... when I do the July 4th show with the Maryland Symphony Orchestra we typically get between 25 to 30 thousand attending. Hey, if we got a few dozen of our hard-core friends to help set this up and listen that would be great. I'll even play the tour set list with Echoes, etc... Now if can only get some lasers for a light show.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version