ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 Aux-In Circuit Topography?  (Read 16181 times)

Jim McKeveny

X32 Aux-In Circuit Topography?
« on: March 30, 2017, 09:48:49 AM »

From the UI, it appears that X32/M32 Aux Inputs are fully featured, balanced, assignable, and include even phantom power.

Other than the TRS connector form are there any real-world  capacity differences v. XLR inputs on these consoles?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 09:52:00 AM by Jim McKeveny »

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
Re: X32 Aux-In Circuit Topography?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 10:35:46 AM »

From the UI, it appears that X32/M32 Aux Inputs are fully featured, balanced, assignable, and include even phantom power.

Other than the TRS connector form are there any real-world  capacity differences v. XLR inputs on these consoles?

Unless something has changed recently, they are balanced, have the same EQ and internal routing capabilities as the XLR input channels, but do not have dynamics (compressor and gate) or phantom power. There are some other oddities with the Aux In routing over AES50, but internally the routing is pretty much the same.

They're useful for various sources such as playback devices, but there is definitely a real-world difference between the XLR and TRS inputs.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 11:13:05 AM »

It is not the aux inputs that are missing dynamics and gate but the default routed channel strips.

If you remap an aux input to one of the 1-32 first channel strips you'll get a full channel strip for your aux.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 12:24:39 PM »

It is not the aux inputs that are missing dynamics and gate but the default routed channel strips.

If you remap an aux input to one of the 1-32 first channel strips you'll get a full channel strip for your aux.

This.

What this means to you is that while you can mix 40 inputs with the X32, only 32 channels have access to dynamics or inserts. You also loose the high pass filter and the channel delay.

So, if routed to a real channel, the only difference is that the aux inputs are a line level input, no pre-amp for mic level.  You cannot enable phantom power on the aux inputs.

Where it comes in handy is if you're using an X32 rack.  It's got 16 mic level inputs, but you can re-map 6 of the line level inputs to channels and end up with a 22 channel mixer.  I've done that myself, and it works great.
Brian Jojade

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 06:47:14 PM »

This.

What this means to you is that while you can mix 40 inputs with the X32, only 32 channels have access to dynamics or inserts. You also loose the high pass filter and the channel delay.

So, if routed to a real channel, the only difference is that the aux inputs are a line level input, no pre-amp for mic level.  You cannot enable phantom power on the aux inputs.

Where it comes in handy is if you're using an X32 rack.  It's got 16 mic level inputs, but you can re-map 6 of the line level inputs to channels and end up with a 22 channel mixer.  I've done that myself, and it works great.

Brian Jojade. 

Thanks for passing this along. I've just started to eye an X32 rack but was unsure if 16 channel's were enough to get by on in the beginning. I will of course add a stage box or two if I like the overall unit. I have an ADA8000 that I could go Adat out to Adat in on the back of it which will turn it into a pre-amp. 22 channels with the X32 rack will give me enough for the average bar band setups which it will be used for.  ;)

Thanks again;
Douglas R. Allen

EDIT: Wanted to clarify. If I map one of the Aux in's to say channel 17 in a X32 rack will I have pre-amp gain and with a TRS to XLR adapter will it drive a microphone or do I need a pre-amp to feed the Aux in?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 06:52:53 PM by Douglas R. Allen »

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 08:40:02 PM »

If you remap Aux 1-6 to one of the main channel strips, you do indeed get full processing like a regular channel.  However, they are line level and don't do phantom power.  Really handy for the keyboard player or the eDrums.  I just tried a Sennheiser e935 for giggles and got enough signal to show up on the LEDs, so you *might* be able to use these ports as mic inputs on a super hot mic or a loud source (think toms).  Personally, my X32 lives side stage anyway, so I just skip the DIs and run my line-level sources to the Aux inputs via a 1/4 inch cable.  I remap Aux1-6 to faders 17-22.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 11:08:08 PM »

EDIT: Wanted to clarify. If I map one of the Aux in's to say channel 17 in a X32 rack will I have pre-amp gain and with a TRS to XLR adapter will it drive a microphone or do I need a pre-amp to feed the Aux in?

No. The inputs are a line level input. Line level is about 40db hotter than typical mic level.  Even if you max out the trim on the channel at +18db, it will be significantly quieter than your other mics.

Use the inputs for line level stuff, such as keyboards, wireless mics, etc.  If you are only using regular microphones, then get a pre-amp, or, better yet, just get one of the smaller AES boxes.
Brian Jojade

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 02:09:02 AM »

The x-adat card will set you back almost the same money as the sd8 so unless you need adat for other purposes I'd skip that config.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 05:13:52 AM »

The x-adat card will set you back almost the same money as the sd8 so unless you need adat for other purposes I'd skip that config.

The behringer ada8000 is a 8-XLR in 8-XLR out adat pre-amp.  The 8-XLR inputs on the front are routed to the Adat out in the back. The 8-XLR outs in back are pre-amp outs fed from the Adat in port in the back.

If I loop a Adat cable from Adat in to Adat out in the back of the ADA8000 now anything plugged into the front XLR's are routed to the 8 XLR's in the back of it. It turns the ADA8000 into a basic 8 XLR in to 8 XLR out pre-amp. So I'd just use an XLR to TRS adapter cable's and feed the Aux in's on the X32 rack.

http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Audio-Interfaces/ADA8000/p/P0187#

I have an 01v96 as well as a 01v that have Adat outs on them. The 01v96 has dual 8 channel Adat outs. If I was to purchase an Adat card for the X32 rack I'd use the 01v96 with its 16 channels of adat. This would give me of course 32 channels of input to the X32 but kind of clunky to do that. It would be easier to just get a stage box.

Douglas R. Allen

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 07:17:15 AM »

Ah, ok...

I misunderstood your application. This would work perfectly well.

The behringer ada8000 is a 8-XLR in 8-XLR out adat pre-amp.  The 8-XLR inputs on the front are routed to the Adat out in the back. The 8-XLR outs in back are pre-amp outs fed from the Adat in port in the back.

If I loop a Adat cable from Adat in to Adat out in the back of the ADA8000 now anything plugged into the front XLR's are routed to the 8 XLR's in the back of it. It turns the ADA8000 into a basic 8 XLR in to 8 XLR out pre-amp. So I'd just use an XLR to TRS adapter cable's and feed the Aux in's on the X32 rack.

http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Audio-Interfaces/ADA8000/p/P0187#

I have an 01v96 as well as a 01v that have Adat outs on them. The 01v96 has dual 8 channel Adat outs. If I was to purchase an Adat card for the X32 rack I'd use the 01v96 with its 16 channels of adat. This would give me of course 32 channels of input to the X32 but kind of clunky to do that. It would be easier to just get a stage box.

Douglas R. Allen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 07:17:15 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.