ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SM80 + Th118/PG118 for techno and house music  (Read 19778 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: SM80 + Th118/PG118 for techno and house music
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 08:44:08 PM »

I had the same worry before I got my Danley rig. What was amazing other than continues compliments on how good the sound was, quite a few people throughout every night make it a point to let me know just how 'unfatiguing' the sound was. I get calls next day or at the next event how they didn't have any ringing in their ears and how much they appreciated it. People end up just FEELING better throughout the night because there isn't that piercing sound that's been annoying their subconscious and they end up partying longer and just having a better night. They DO become aware that it's the sound system they have to thank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have been to quite a few events in which there was "plenty of PA", but yet the levels were lower than "normal"

The only thing I can think of is that they are "getting the feeling" and clarity at lower levels-so they don't run it as loud "trying to get the sound".

I could be wrong, but have seen this happen quite a bit with different types of music.

There must be something to that.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Uniz Kazz

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 03:39:08 AM »

I have been to quite a few events in which there was "plenty of PA", but yet the levels were lower than "normal"

The only thing I can think of is that they are "getting the feeling" and clarity at lower levels-so they don't run it as loud "trying to get the sound".

I could be wrong, but have seen this happen quite a bit with different types of music.

There must be something to that.

This is also true. I honestly think it has more to do with the genre. Since I'm mostly deploying a dj setup, they crowd there just wants MORE of it because it's part of the experience. With live music, you tend to require less because the system is able to project the sound with such fidelity that all the instruments and vocals are clearly heard. Of course if it's hard rock/ metal, having it loud is also part of the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 07:08:03 AM »

This is also true. I honestly think it has more to do with the genre. Since I'm mostly deploying a dj setup, they crowd there just wants MORE of it because it's part of the experience. With live music, you tend to require less because the system is able to project the sound with such fidelity that all the instruments and vocals are clearly heard. Of course if it's hard rock/ metal, having it loud is also part of the experience.

Actually I have done a number of DJ/dance events in which I told the "powers that be" that we had more SPL left, but they did not want it any louder. 

It was already "doing the job".

It is strange when people experience something they haven't before.

Certain "assumptions" no longer apply.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

James Hennessy

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2017, 04:40:10 PM »

I had the same worry before I got my Danley rig. What was amazing other than continues compliments on how good the sound was, quite a few people throughout every night make it a point to let me know just how 'unfatiguing' the sound was. I get calls next day or at the next event how they didn't have any ringing in their ears and how much they appreciated it. People end up just FEELING better throughout the night because there isn't that piercing sound that's been annoying their subconscious and they end up partying longer and just having a better night. They DO become aware that it's the sound system they have to thank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I get what you are saying about people appreciating that the sound isn't punishing.  At our last event we hired a good sound guy and he was on the dance floor most of the night with his tablet watching the levels. 

I've been to a few other shows at this same venue where the sound wasn't being managed very well and things got too loud for my taste.  When people's ears are comfortable it creates a much better vibe at the show and the room stays full.  We're also bringing in artists that a 30s crowd will get excited for and I think they like good sound more than just loud sound compared to a younger audience.

We're looking for sound that's clear, warm, punchy, still satisfying, but where a person can actually talk to someone next to them without screaming. 

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 04:52:53 PM »

When people's ears are comfortable it creates a much better vibe at the show and the room stays full.  We're also bringing in artists that a 30s crowd will get excited for and I think they like good sound more than just loud sound compared to a younger audience.

And that crowd spends more MONEY!

When it gets to loud for bartenders to hear, drink sales slow down and suffer.

THAT is where most venues make their money.  You don't want to mess with the drink sales

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Uniz Kazz

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2017, 04:56:50 PM »

I get what you are saying about people appreciating that the sound isn't punishing.  At our last event we hired a good sound guy and he was on the dance floor most of the night with his tablet watching the levels. 

I've been to a few other shows at this same venue where the sound wasn't being managed very well and things got too loud for my taste.  When people's ears are comfortable it creates a much better vibe at the show and the room stays full.  We're also bringing in artists that a 30s crowd will get excited for and I think they like good sound more than just loud sound compared to a younger audience.

We're looking for sound that's clear, warm, punchy, still satisfying, but where a person can actually talk to someone next to them without screaming.

Yeah I'm catering to that same age group here as well. They're so surprised that they can hear each other speak even at loud volumes. You get asked what 'voodoo magic' is in the speakers lol.

James Hennessy

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2017, 05:30:25 PM »

THAT is where most venues make their money.  You don't want to mess with the drink sales

For sure.  The venue manager was very happy with the crowd and wanted to do another show as soon as possible.  Currently we're renting the space and taking the door sales while the venue keeps the drink sales.  Once we have our own system we'll be looking to also find a space where we can do regular events, get a liquor license and run the bar as well.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2017, 07:27:24 PM »

Yeah I'm catering to that same age group here as well. They're so surprised that they can hear each other speak even at loud volumes. You get asked what 'voodoo magic' is in the speakers lol.

I was doing a large show about a month or so ago.

The local crew was REAL REAL skeptical about the use of 1 cabinet per side, when the "normal system in that room was 12-16 cabinets per side.

When we fired it up, one of the guys was at FOH and he said "WOW-I can't believe how LOUD it is, and you can still talk.  You CAN'T do that with a "XYZ (very popular brand) line array.

He was an instant believer.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2017, 08:47:16 PM »

They'll stick around to buy more drinks if they physically feel more comfortable.  I think bad loud sound also makes people more likely to have an urge to go somewhere else and puts those more inclined to fight to get aggressive.

Tamar Ghobria

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2017, 02:44:52 PM »

XYZ loudspeakers are the worst...

I was doing a large show about a month or so ago.

The local crew was REAL REAL skeptical about the use of 1 cabinet per side, when the "normal system in that room was 12-16 cabinets per side.

When we fired it up, one of the guys was at FOH and he said "WOW-I can't believe how LOUD it is, and you can still talk.  You CAN'T do that with a "XYZ (very popular brand) line array.

He was an instant believer.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2017, 02:44:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.