ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SM80 + Th118/PG118 for techno and house music  (Read 19777 times)

James Hennessy

Re: SM80 + Th118/PG118 for techno and house music
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 03:28:52 PM »

The SM80F is no different than any other cabinet in regards to height.

You need to get the HF (and hopefully the mids) above peoples heads.

In the SM80F, the mids and highs (on the same horn) are in the top of the cabinet-so that helps.

7-8' would be a great "target" for the upper part of the cabinet.

When we do demos, we usually put it on a 3' tall road case.  Yes, that is not high enough for a "crowd", but it is fine for demos and is easy to get up that high.

Because of where the handles are, 2 decent "roadies" (myself included) can lift it to a height of 45".  Above that gets a bit harder.

When you listen, YOU are in a ground plane situation-so as far as a person is concerned, it does not matter if the cabinet is on the ground or in the air.
You will still get the "ground plane" gain.

Thanks, Ivan.  That's great info. 

Have you guys found a particular Danley sub setup that that you think pairs particularly well with a pair of SM80F speakers?  The PG118 and TH118 seem like good ways to go because they're more portable but is there another route that's going to do it significantly better or more economically?

James Hennessy

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 03:41:11 PM »

Everything is powered by a single DNA20K amp. Using the Podware (the software) is very simple and straight forward. You simply download the Master Preset Stack from the Danley website and load it in as the factory setting, it actually stores them all within the amp. Then it's a simple matter of plugging and playing (and x-over and gain) changing depending on your setup on site if required. I highly suggest you go with the DNA, it performs great and has all the power and dsp you require.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, thanks for clarifying that for me.  That makes getting the system up to 4 subs much less financially daunting than I had thought it would be.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 08:01:59 PM »

Thanks, Ivan.  That's great info. 

Have you guys found a particular Danley sub setup that that you think pairs particularly well with a pair of SM80F speakers?  The PG118 and TH118 seem like good ways to go because they're more portable but is there another route that's going to do it significantly better or more economically?
The best sub cabinet for the SM80F is the DBH218.

The skids on the SM80F line up with the skids of the DBH218 (when the SM80F is laying on its side).

The PG118 goes lower than the TH118-and it is a larger cabinet.

It is also the width as the SM80F (when it is laying on its side), but the skids are in different places.  They are different lines.

Of course is the SM80F is flown, the skids don't matter.

Either the PG118 or the DBH218 or PG218 would make fine companions.

It will take several of any of these subs to keep up with the SM80F when run full tilt.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

James Hennessy

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 10:53:17 AM »

The best sub cabinet for the SM80F is the DBH218.

The skids on the SM80F line up with the skids of the DBH218 (when the SM80F is laying on its side).

The PG118 goes lower than the TH118-and it is a larger cabinet.

It is also the width as the SM80F (when it is laying on its side), but the skids are in different places.  They are different lines.

Of course is the SM80F is flown, the skids don't matter.

Either the PG118 or the DBH218 or PG218 would make fine companions.

It will take several of any of these subs to keep up with the SM80F when run full tilt.

Awesome, thank you.  So it sounds like maybe I should start out with 2 x SM80 with 4 x PG118.  Then later on I could get go for 2 x SM80F and I would have a sick 4 way setup with the SM80s acting as fills or monitors. 

Thanks to everyone for the great replies!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 12:54:25 PM »

Awesome, thank you.  So it sounds like maybe I should start out with 2 x SM80 with 4 x PG118.  Then later on I could get go for 2 x SM80F and I would have a sick 4 way setup with the SM80s acting as fills or monitors. 

Thanks to everyone for the great replies!
The SM80F is not exactly what I would choose for a "portable"  setup.

Unless it was for drum or sidefill monitors on a large stage or DJ speakers.

Things that don't have to get the HF very high in the air.

For most "normal uses" it would be much easier to get regular SM80s up above peoples heads.

We have used the K&M crank up poles with extensions to get them pretty high-easily.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

James Hennessy

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 01:31:13 PM »

The SM80F is not exactly what I would choose for a "portable"  setup.

Unless it was for drum or sidefill monitors on a large stage or DJ speakers.

Things that don't have to get the HF very high in the air.

For most "normal uses" it would be much easier to get regular SM80s up above peoples heads.

We have used the K&M crank up poles with extensions to get them pretty high-easily.

Yes, that's sort of what I'm thinking as well.  I like the flexibility that I'd get from the SM80 on a pole mount.  It could scale down well for all kinds intimate events like after parties, etc. 

The dream would be to also add a THmini or two for times where I didn't want to transport the PG118s.  Then I could have a real micro system that one person could handle easily for maximum flexibility.  THmini would also be nice to put in the DJ booth if I was going to use the SM80s as monitors. 

But eventually when I had the money and had the logistics more figured out I could take the system to another level with the SM80F. 

Tamar Ghobria

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 09:23:09 PM »

I have (4) Sm 80 tops and (4) of the TH 118 subs...The tops definitely outrun the subs....We do a lot of dj playback, EDM, Hip hop etc.....One thing I here is people being so used to schrill ear piercing sound that they think the danley is not loud enough...Especially the JBL, RCF users....I am using Powersoft K20s btw...

Yes, that's sort of what I'm thinking as well.  I like the flexibility that I'd get from the SM80 on a pole mount.  It could scale down well for all kinds intimate events like after parties, etc. 

The dream would be to also add a THmini or two for times where I didn't want to transport the PG118s.  Then I could have a real micro system that one person could handle easily for maximum flexibility.  THmini would also be nice to put in the DJ booth if I was going to use the SM80s as monitors. 

But eventually when I had the money and had the logistics more figured out I could take the system to another level with the SM80F.

James Hennessy

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 03:02:21 PM »

I have (4) Sm 80 tops and (4) of the TH 118 subs...The tops definitely outrun the subs....We do a lot of dj playback, EDM, Hip hop etc.....One thing I here is people being so used to schrill ear piercing sound that they think the danley is not loud enough...Especially the JBL, RCF users....I am using Powersoft K20s btw...

Thanks for your feedback, Tamar.  That's definitely something I worry about.  A lot of the small room systems I hear in my town have 4 x 15'' 2 way tops and usually 4 x double 18'' front loaded subs or more.  You get a ton of low-mids and heavy, somewhat monotone low end bass.  The detail in the music isn't very intelligible but I think people have started to get used to this particular kind of distorted sound. 

Uniz Kazz

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 03:32:27 PM »

Thanks for your feedback, Tamar.  That's definitely something I worry about.  A lot of the small room systems I hear in my town have 4 x 15'' 2 way tops and usually 4 x double 18'' front loaded subs or more.  You get a ton of low-mids and heavy, somewhat monotone low end bass.  The detail in the music isn't very intelligible but I think people have started to get used to this particular kind of distorted sound.

I had the same worry before I got my Danley rig. What was amazing other than continues compliments on how good the sound was, quite a few people throughout every night make it a point to let me know just how 'unfatiguing' the sound was. I get calls next day or at the next event how they didn't have any ringing in their ears and how much they appreciated it. People end up just FEELING better throughout the night because there isn't that piercing sound that's been annoying their subconscious and they end up partying longer and just having a better night. They DO become aware that it's the sound system they have to thank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tamar Ghobria

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 04:58:54 PM »

To be clear I don't regret my purchase...I am actually looking to buy SH 46's in the future...You can always eq to make it sound closer to your clients needs....You won't find many guys out there unahppy with Danley

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 04:58:54 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.