Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > DJ Forum

SM80 + Th118/PG118 for techno and house music

(1/9) > >>

James Hennessy:
I've heard so many great things about the SM80 and TH118 combination.  I know it's excellent for live performances.  I've heard Ivan talk about how the SM80 performs well for EDM/Bass Music when paired with various Danley subs.  I don't think I've heard anyone specifically talk about how it performs with techno and house music.  If anyone has experience with this setup and this kind of music I'd be grateful for their feedback. 

We've been doing events at a venue with its own sound system.  The venue is currently using 4 x Yorkville U15 tops and 4 x Yorkville TX9S Subs.  I'm wondering if someone could help me understand how the 2 x SM80/ 2x TH118 system would compare in terms of sound characteristics, SPL, etc.  I'm looking for clear, clean sound that's easy on the ears but still satisfying for techno fans.  Will our audience appreciate the Danley sound after getting accustomed to this kind of Yorkville setup?

Doug Fowler:

--- Quote from: James Hennessy on March 29, 2017, 05:58:39 PM ---I've heard so many great things about the SM80 and TH118 combination.  I know it's excellent for live performances.  I've heard Ivan talk about how the SM80 performs well for EDM/Bass Music when paired with various Danley subs.  I don't think I've heard anyone specifically talk about how it performs with techno and house music.  If anyone has experience with this setup and this kind of music I'd be grateful for their feedback. 

We've been doing events at a venue with its own sound system.  The venue is currently using 4 x Yorkville U15 tops and 4 x Yorkville TX9S Subs.  I'm wondering if someone could help me understand how the 2 x SM80/ 2x TH118 system would compare in terms of sound characteristics, SPL, etc.  I'm looking for clear, clean sound that's easy on the ears but still satisfying for techno fans.  Will our audience appreciate the Danley sound after getting accustomed to this kind of Yorkville setup?

--- End quote ---

You will need 2x TH118 per SM80.   Because the SM80 does not go low at all, you will have to set the sub LPF higher than "normal".

A better solution is the new SM80F.  One of these sitting on a tall sub should be an impressive stack.

Will your audience appreciate it?  Who knows?

There is an active thread about SM80F, check it out.

Ivan Beaver:
The nice thing about a system that "doesn't have a sound of its own" is that it works great with anything that you put through it.

When a system has a "particular sound", then it can be limited on what it can be used for.

That is why some systems get "pigeon holed" for a particular Genre of music, while others find wide acceptance for all sorts of usages and styles.

James Hennessy:
Thanks!  I just spent the last half hour reading that thread.  The SM80F looks very interesting.  I think it's going to be a hit as a high end DJ monitor.  Reminds me a lot of the Funktion-One PSM318.  http://www.funktion-one.com/products/psm318-dj-monitor/

Am I correct that the double 15'' subs would provide a better punch for kick drums than a PG118 despite having a little less overall output?  I do really like the idea of pole mounting the SM80 since we would be bringing this system out to shows. 

Uniz Kazz:
About 100% of the time that I've deployed the system it's been used for Dj applications and always house and techno as EDM has not taken off in my area. It performs incredibly well, nothing but compliments throughout the night, expect people to come up to you (sometimes multiple times) a night to comment on how good the sound is. I would definitely pair 2xTh118 a side per SM80, as the subs will run out of gas before the tops do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version