ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SM80 + Th118/PG118 for techno and house music  (Read 19776 times)

James Hennessy

SM80 + Th118/PG118 for techno and house music
« on: March 29, 2017, 05:58:39 PM »

I've heard so many great things about the SM80 and TH118 combination.  I know it's excellent for live performances.  I've heard Ivan talk about how the SM80 performs well for EDM/Bass Music when paired with various Danley subs.  I don't think I've heard anyone specifically talk about how it performs with techno and house music.  If anyone has experience with this setup and this kind of music I'd be grateful for their feedback. 

We've been doing events at a venue with its own sound system.  The venue is currently using 4 x Yorkville U15 tops and 4 x Yorkville TX9S Subs.  I'm wondering if someone could help me understand how the 2 x SM80/ 2x TH118 system would compare in terms of sound characteristics, SPL, etc.  I'm looking for clear, clean sound that's easy on the ears but still satisfying for techno fans.  Will our audience appreciate the Danley sound after getting accustomed to this kind of Yorkville setup?

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: SM80 + Th118/PG118 for techno and house music
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 06:22:26 PM »

I've heard so many great things about the SM80 and TH118 combination.  I know it's excellent for live performances.  I've heard Ivan talk about how the SM80 performs well for EDM/Bass Music when paired with various Danley subs.  I don't think I've heard anyone specifically talk about how it performs with techno and house music.  If anyone has experience with this setup and this kind of music I'd be grateful for their feedback. 

We've been doing events at a venue with its own sound system.  The venue is currently using 4 x Yorkville U15 tops and 4 x Yorkville TX9S Subs.  I'm wondering if someone could help me understand how the 2 x SM80/ 2x TH118 system would compare in terms of sound characteristics, SPL, etc.  I'm looking for clear, clean sound that's easy on the ears but still satisfying for techno fans.  Will our audience appreciate the Danley sound after getting accustomed to this kind of Yorkville setup?

You will need 2x TH118 per SM80.   Because the SM80 does not go low at all, you will have to set the sub LPF higher than "normal".

A better solution is the new SM80F.  One of these sitting on a tall sub should be an impressive stack.

Will your audience appreciate it?  Who knows?

There is an active thread about SM80F, check it out.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 08:57:34 PM »

The nice thing about a system that "doesn't have a sound of its own" is that it works great with anything that you put through it.

When a system has a "particular sound", then it can be limited on what it can be used for.

That is why some systems get "pigeon holed" for a particular Genre of music, while others find wide acceptance for all sorts of usages and styles.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

James Hennessy

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 11:34:35 PM »

Thanks!  I just spent the last half hour reading that thread.  The SM80F looks very interesting.  I think it's going to be a hit as a high end DJ monitor.  Reminds me a lot of the Funktion-One PSM318.  http://www.funktion-one.com/products/psm318-dj-monitor/

Am I correct that the double 15'' subs would provide a better punch for kick drums than a PG118 despite having a little less overall output?  I do really like the idea of pole mounting the SM80 since we would be bringing this system out to shows. 

Uniz Kazz

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 01:41:27 AM »

About 100% of the time that I've deployed the system it's been used for Dj applications and always house and techno as EDM has not taken off in my area. It performs incredibly well, nothing but compliments throughout the night, expect people to come up to you (sometimes multiple times) a night to comment on how good the sound is. I would definitely pair 2xTh118 a side per SM80, as the subs will run out of gas before the tops do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 07:34:50 AM »

Thanks!  I just spent the last half hour reading that thread.  The SM80F looks very interesting.  I think it's going to be a hit as a high end DJ monitor.  Reminds me a lot of the Funktion-One PSM318.  http://www.funktion-one.com/products/psm318-dj-monitor/

Am I correct that the double 15'' subs would provide a better punch for kick drums than a PG118 despite having a little less overall output?  I do really like the idea of pole mounting the SM80 since we would be bringing this system out to shows.
Actually the SM80F has the output of 2 PG118s (in the range that the SM80 operates).

The PG118s go lower.

The specs don't "appear" to be as loud as a pair of PG118s.

But this is where the "simple numbers" get people in trouble.

The PG118 is a subs, and as such it is measured in half space.

Since the SM80F is a full range cabinet, it is measured in whole space.

The whole space measurement (specifically on the lower freq) is 6dB lower than if the same cabinet was measured in half space.

So if the SM80F is on or near the ground, the LF will actually be 6dB louder than indicated on the spec sheet.

I have confirmed both the measurements and listening tests, and they agree with each other.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

James Hennessy

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 11:06:58 AM »

About 100% of the time that I've deployed the system it's been used for Dj applications and always house and techno as EDM has not taken off in my area. It performs incredibly well, nothing but compliments throughout the night, expect people to come up to you (sometimes multiple times) a night to comment on how good the sound is. I would definitely pair 2xTh118 a side per SM80, as the subs will run out of gas before the tops do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you, Uniz.  Great to hear it confirmed this rig goes over well with a house/techno crowd.  What route did you go to power the 4 subs and 2 tops?  The DNA20K4PRO looks like a great 4 channel amp.  When looking at powering 5th and 6th cabinet in the system things seem a bit less clear to me.

Actually the SM80F has the output of 2 PG118s (in the range that the SM80 operates).

The PG118s go lower.

The specs don't "appear" to be as loud as a pair of PG118s.

But this is where the "simple numbers" get people in trouble.

The PG118 is a subs, and as such it is measured in half space.

Since the SM80F is a full range cabinet, it is measured in whole space.

The whole space measurement (specifically on the lower freq) is 6dB lower than if the same cabinet was measured in half space.

So if the SM80F is on or near the ground, the LF will actually be 6dB louder than indicated on the spec sheet.

I have confirmed both the measurements and listening tests, and they agree with each other.

That's a remarkable amount of sound coming out of one cabinet that's not that much larger than a single 18'' sub!  I also love that a pair of SM80F can run off a single DNA20K4PRO.  What do you think is the optimal height to have these at when the room is full of people?  Do you think they would get that 6dB LF bump if they were placed on top of a sturdy wooden box?

Uniz Kazz

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 11:18:35 AM »

Everything is powered by a single DNA20K amp. Using the Podware (the software) is very simple and straight forward. You simply download the Master Preset Stack from the Danley website and load it in as the factory setting, it actually stores them all within the amp. Then it's a simple matter of plugging and playing (and x-over and gain) changing depending on your setup on site if required. I highly suggest you go with the DNA, it performs great and has all the power and dsp you require.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 12:24:26 PM »

Can't go wrong with the Danley rig, it will sound great, though as noted, you will have to run the subs higher than you normally would as the SM80 doesn't go that low. The new SM80F resolves that, making it a true 4 way system. Can't wait to hear that setup at Infocomm this summer in Orlando. I play a lot of House and Techno as well and I ended up going with the JTR Noesis 3TX over Orbit Shifter subs last year as I wanted a true 4 way system. I've been very pleased with my rig - I think both setups give you very high quality sound & output.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 06:58:47 PM »

That's a remarkable amount of sound coming out of one cabinet that's not that much larger than a single 18'' sub!  I also love that a pair of SM80F can run off a single DNA20K4PRO.  What do you think is the optimal height to have these at when the room is full of people?  Do you think they would get that 6dB LF bump if they were placed on top of a sturdy wooden box?
The SM80F is no different than any other cabinet in regards to height.

You need to get the HF (and hopefully the mids) above peoples heads.

In the SM80F, the mids and highs (on the same horn) are in the top of the cabinet-so that helps.

7-8' would be a great "target" for the upper part of the cabinet.

When we do demos, we usually put it on a 3' tall road case.  Yes, that is not high enough for a "crowd", but it is fine for demos and is easy to get up that high.

Because of where the handles are, 2 decent "roadies" (myself included) can lift it to a height of 45".  Above that gets a bit harder.

When you listen, YOU are in a ground plane situation-so as far as a person is concerned, it does not matter if the cabinet is on the ground or in the air.
You will still get the "ground plane" gain.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 06:58:47 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.