ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha QL1 / QL5 with Tio1608-D  (Read 23901 times)

TomBoisseau

Yamaha QL1 / QL5 with Tio1608-D
« on: March 28, 2017, 10:49:40 PM »

I just purchased two new Tio1608-D boxes to use with my QL1 and QL5.  So far I have only attempted to use them with the QL1, but I'm having problems, with both of the Tio's.

It seems that the QL will recognize the Tio (it is clearly "active" in the device list), and I can even hear the relays "click" in the Tio when I adjust the headamp on the QL, however the "Status" (input and output) LED's are continually flashing on and off "red", and I can not get any signal to pass.

I called Yamaha a couple times today and, after trying various things, at their suggestion, I did a complete firmware update on both the QL and the Tio's, however it has made no difference whatsoever.  I do NOT consider myself very competent with Dante and the Tio/Rio boxes, therefore I can not help but believe it is likely something I'm doing wrong.

Any suggestions?

Tom

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
Re: Yamaha QL1 / QL5 with Tio1608-D
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 11:04:49 PM »

Any suggestions?

Tom
Try mounting the Tio in the 4th or later dante "rack" on the console.  We have been using the Tio rack with the QL5 since the firmware allowed it, about a year ago, and had an issue with head amp control (supposedly fixed in a subsequent firmware update), but resolved the problem via the above mentioned mounting placement. I know the issue you are having is different, but there was a meaningful hardware reason behind moving the tio down the rack in the console, which I did at the advice of Yamaha.
Also, Dante controller will show you audio activity on a per-channel basis. Do you see audio activity coming from the Tio in Dante controller?
aslo, what are your dip switch and quick config settings?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:08:03 PM by boburtz »

TomBoisseau

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 11:23:27 PM »

Try mounting the Tio in the 4th or later dante "rack" on the console.  We have been using the Tio rack with the QL5 since the firmware allowed it, about a year ago, and had an issue with head amp control (supposedly fixed in a subsequent firmware update), but resolved the problem via the above mentioned mounting placement. I know the issue you are having is different, but there was a meaningful hardware reason behind moving the tio down the rack in the console, which I did at the advice of Yamaha.
Also, Dante controller will show you audio activity on a per-channel basis. Do you see audio activity coming from the Tio in Dante controller?
aslo, what are your dip switch and quick config settings?

Thanks so much for your reply.

I tried your suggestion and mounted the Tio in the 5th "rack space", but it made no difference.  I still get the "Status" lights flashing red and no audio will pass.  I also looked into Dante Controller (with which I have very little experience) and I do not see any "indicators" that show "audio activity".  Where might I find that?

Also, all dip switches are UP, and the "Quick Config" is turned OFF.

Thanks,
Tom

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:26:41 PM by TomBoisseau »

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 12:10:32 AM »

I also looked into Dante Controller (with which I have very little experience) and I do not see any "indicators" that show "audio activity".  Where might I find that?

Thanks,
Tom
If the Tio comes up in Dante controller, double click on it and then click on the "transmit" tab. you should see a little speaker icon under the "signal" column that will light up green if there is activity on a given channel... You can test it with a mic or any signal.
So if I understand you correctly, the head amp gain is tracking with the QL as controller, but there is no audio passing. Correct?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 12:15:31 AM by boburtz »

TomBoisseau

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 08:50:13 AM »

If the Tio comes up in Dante controller, double click on it and then click on the "transmit" tab. you should see a little speaker icon under the "signal" column that will light up green if there is activity on a given channel... You can test it with a mic or any signal.
So if I understand you correctly, the head amp gain is tracking with the QL as controller, but there is no audio passing. Correct?

That is correct.  The head amp control on the QL1 and in R-Remote WILL work (or at least I hear the relays), but no audio will pass.

Thanks for the suggestion using Dante Controller.  I was able to see the Tio, double clicked on it and saw the speaker icons.  I then tried a tone generator at various levels and into various inputs, but none of them would light up green.

Tom

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 11:52:03 AM »

That is correct.  The head amp control on the QL1 and in R-Remote WILL work (or at least I hear the relays), but no audio will pass.

Thanks for the suggestion using Dante Controller.  I was able to see the Tio, double clicked on it and saw the speaker icons.  I then tried a tone generator at various levels and into various inputs, but none of them would light up green.

Tom
Have you tried running the Tio without the QL, controlling only with R-remote? Eliminate the QL from the chain to try to narrow down the possible problem area.

TomBoisseau

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 12:09:47 PM »

Have you tried running the Tio without the QL, controlling only with R-remote? Eliminate the QL from the chain to try to narrow down the possible problem area.

From R-Remote I can see the Tio, adjust the gains, AND I can see the audio signals on the Tio.  I also noticed that using R-Remote is the only time that the "Status" LED's stop flashing.  When I connect to the QL or use Dante Controller the "Status" LED's are always flashing red.

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 12:15:47 PM »

From R-Remote I can see the Tio, adjust the gains, AND I can see the audio signals on the Tio.  I also noticed that using R-Remote is the only time that the "Status" LED's stop flashing.  When I connect to the QL or use Dante Controller the "Status" LED's are always flashing red.
Troubleshooting this will be more efficient with Yamaha. Obviously there is a communication problem between the Tio and the other connected devices. The most recent update to the QL firmware added a secondary IP address configuration tab to the console, which is dedicated to device control (ie; Tio 1608-D). It's possible that your device control IP settings are not set correctly. Mine is set to "auto" and it works fine. I would get on the phone to Yamaha and keep them on the phone until you get this functioning.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 12:16:19 PM »

Stupid question, I hope, but you are turning on the QL1 FIRST and THEN the Tio?

From the manual, "The indicator flashes in red if the input is muted, if the system clock is being synced, or if there is a system error." -- has the system clock been verified?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Graham Smyth

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 02:05:08 PM »

I just purchased two new Tio1608-D boxes to use with my QL1 and QL5.  So far I have only attempted to use them with the QL1, but I'm having problems, with both of the Tio's.

It seems that the QL will recognize the Tio (it is clearly "active" in the device list), and I can even hear the relays "click" in the Tio when I adjust the headamp on the QL, however the "Status" (input and output) LED's are continually flashing on and off "red", and I can not get any signal to pass.

I called Yamaha a couple times today and, after trying various things, at their suggestion, I did a complete firmware update on both the QL and the Tio's, however it has made no difference whatsoever.  I do NOT consider myself very competent with Dante and the Tio/Rio boxes, therefore I can not help but believe it is likely something I'm doing wrong.

Any suggestions?

Tom

You might want to check the position of dip switch #4 on the TIO.  If your mixer is using Dante redundant mode of operation then I think this switch should be set down.  The default switch setting is UP for the auto-config daisy chain mode of operation.

I am using TIO1608 connected to a TF1, but wanted to use redundancy mode rather than the default daisy chain mode, and could not get the mixer and stagebox to sync up. After many hours of fiddling around, discovered that I needed to set the TIO for redundancy but also had to use Dante Controller to change the mixer Dante card from "switched" to "redundant" mode in the device settings in DC, then reboot the Dante card.  Everything synced up OK after that.  I am not familiar with the QL1,  but I suspect it normally is setup for redundant Dante mode, and therefore you should setup the same on TIO.       

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 02:05:08 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.