ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: bulk speaker cable  (Read 6159 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Re: bulk speaker cable
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 03:04:25 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions!

Robert Healey

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 03:18:18 PM »

Last time I did this I tried the route of calling electrical supply houses - looking for 12/2 SJOOW - but most places gave me a "go away" price for a 500' roll. Might be worth a shot, especially if you have a friend in the business. Grainger doesn't seem to have a 12/2 SJ in stock. I used Camel Traders since it had the best deal, but I am not sure I really trust them as a retailer.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 03:21:28 PM »

I used Camel Traders since it had the best deal, but I am not sure I really trust them as a retailer.
I was disheartened by two mistakes on an 8 SKU order, and then when I returned the items, they took two months to refund my money. I won't be shopping there again.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 05:28:38 PM »

Mike at Audio Pyle got us a good price on some Rapco 10/2 - may want to check with him for that.

And, while we haven't bought speaker cable from wireandcableyourway.com, they do have good prices on SOOW/SJOW and ship *immediately* - may be worth a check.

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 01:05:16 AM »

Last time I did this I tried the route of calling electrical supply houses - looking for 12/2 SJOOW - but most places gave me a "go away" price for a 500' roll. Might be worth a shot, especially if you have a friend in the business. Grainger doesn't seem to have a 12/2 SJ in stock. I used Camel Traders since it had the best deal, but I am not sure I really trust them as a retailer.

I keep lots of 12-4 SJ on hand, but I'm in Canada so it's allowed to use the same cable for L14-20 twist lock. I've used SJ for 2 conductor as well it's just a little harder to come by in stock.

David Allred

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 10:27:39 AM »

Last time I did this I tried the route of calling electrical supply houses - looking for 12/2 SJOOW - but most places gave me a "go away" price for a 500' roll.

Why would they do that? 

Robert Healey

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 05:57:09 PM »

Why would they do that?

I imagine selling a single roll of cable to random joe and not a contractor with an account is a hassle - especially if it's for an item not regularly stocked.

They might have also assumed I didn't know what I should be paying for that cable, too. This was a smaller town without may options.

David Allred

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 09:07:12 AM »

I imagine selling a single roll of cable to random joe and not a contractor with an account is a hassle - especially if it's for an item not regularly stocked.

They might have also assumed I didn't know what I should be paying for that cable, too. This was a smaller town without may options.

That one sale's profit surely would have paid a stock boy's salary for that day (or 2).   Worst case, I would think they might tell you that it might be a few weeks to meet a minimum purchase requirement, if not in stock.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 09:13:32 AM »

I've used Allied Wire and Cable, specifically their "Bargain Bin" cut off section.  Lengths are random and vary over time, but if you find lengths you can use, it is a pretty good deal on a good product.  Over the last year I've been slowly weeding out a bunch of 12/3 and 14/4 SOOW in my cable inventory-while heavy duty, it is heavy and more bulky, and I just don't need that extra heft most times.

They do have more than one warehouse, shipping has been prompt.

http://www.awcwire.com/bargain-bin/discount-power-tray-cable.aspx

Just took a look at today's offerings, and it appears there's a bunch of SOOW in the larger groupings like 18/8, 16/8, 16/30(!), 14/8, 10/5, 8/3, 6/3, and 2/4.  Power distro stuff, or special loudspeaker cable runs.  Also, there's about a dozen sizes/configs listed for welding cable.

I should mention that one can order regular inventory online with them as well, so if you're looking for standard cut lengths starting at 50', they do that all day long.  Not necessarily the cheapest, but reliable, and from known manufacturers.

Best regards,

John
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 09:26:12 AM by John Halliburton »

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 09:16:35 AM »

That one sale's profit surely would have paid a stock boy's salary for that day (or 2).   Worst case, I would think they might tell you that it might be a few weeks to meet a minimum purchase requirement, if not in stock.
Well, it depends on what the order actually is. Many time, the big companies (Coleman, Southwire, etc) don't sell in 250' spools- they sell in 1000' or more spools. So that's shipping truck freight, instead of Fedex/UPS. Since ordering just one skid for one sale is going to have a pretty large shipping charge (especially if it's out of the way) they're going to want to have a bunch of stuff on that load. If the company isn't in a position to need to bring in that much stock at one time, I can see why they'd be hesitant to special order it. That, and if you're only looking to purchase *part* of the roll, then they're also stuck sitting on the rest of the roll, that may or may not have a major demand for it.

Not defending their choices, just offering a possible explanation!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 09:16:35 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.