ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: PA Growth Strategy for a Rock Band  (Read 32949 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: PA Growth Strategy for a Rock Band
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2017, 04:17:30 PM »

Now that I have moved to the QU16, does this render my DRPA2 useless (I know some of you will say it was useless already)? I had previously been using it as an AFS failsafe (since I mix from stage) and its PEQ to store my system tuning curve.  I could theoretically use the LR mix PEQ for this purpose and use the LR GEQ for venue corrections.

I am a firm believer that system control should NOT be done at the console regardless of the console type.  The way some folks carry on about getting rid of a 1 space, 6 lbs item you'd think it was poisonous or radioactive...

Because if the precious new digital mixer takes a dive and you pull out the old MixWiz, you're screwed.  Because if you need to substitute a rented mixer with more inputs or the band brings their own console (or tablet-mixed L/R feed from monitors), you're screwed.

You can still save any venue-specific EQ in the mixer if you desire, but aligning and driving subs/tops/fills is best done outside the console.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Bolt

« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2017, 04:36:37 PM »

I am a firm believer that system control should NOT be done at the console regardless of the console type.  The way some folks carry on about getting rid of a 1 space, 6 lbs item you'd think it was poisonous or radioactive...

Because if the precious new digital mixer takes a dive and you pull out the old MixWiz, you're screwed.  Because if you need to substitute a rented mixer with more inputs or the band brings their own console (or tablet-mixed L/R feed from monitors), you're screwed.

You can still save any venue-specific EQ in the mixer if you desire, but aligning and driving subs/tops/fills is best done outside the console.
I tend to agree with Tim on this.

If you are using unpowered speakers, then you need to have an amp rack anyway.  It just makes sense that the cross-over be in that rack so that you can just run the stereo out from the mixer to the cross-over and leave all the amp wiring for the 3 way or 2 way cross-over all in the back of a rack.  The alternative is that you have a bunch (up to 3) XLR cables running from your mixer out to your amp rack.

If you are using powered speakers, it is highly likely that you have no need for a cross-over of any type and should simply run your L/R out from your mixer directly to the speakers.

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2017, 06:33:34 PM »

Thanks for the responses. Wasn't trying to eliminate for weight/space, but if it served no purpose, not reason to have it in the signal chain. Looks like the DRPA2 should remain simply for the PEQ settings I store in it for reasons listed by Tim. AFS is a bonus.

I plan to continue on the powered speaker route. In the short run, it may or may not be useful as a crossover when I add the subs. If I upgrade the tops down the line, they would likely match the subs, so onboard crossovers would be the first choice.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2017, 12:22:35 PM »

Thanks for the responses. Wasn't trying to eliminate for weight/space, but if it served no purpose, not reason to have it in the signal chain. Looks like the DRPA2 should remain simply for the PEQ settings I store in it for reasons listed by Tim. AFS is a bonus.

I plan to continue on the powered speaker route. In the short run, it may or may not be useful as a crossover when I add the subs. If I upgrade the tops down the line, they would likely match the subs, so onboard crossovers would be the first choice.

Hi Brian,

If you buy subs with a cross-over built in, then running the tops full range from the HP output of the subs works quite well (and is how I run my rig).

Brian_Henry

• NJ
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2017, 02:23:36 AM »

Hi Scott,

I do plan to do just that, thanks!

Brian_Henry

• NJ
PA Growth Strategy for a Rock Band
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2017, 02:26:35 PM »

Hi Everyone,

In the end, I decided to purchase a single SRX828sp to start. So the obvious next question, what is typically the best bet for positioning a single 2x18? In my application, I will not have much time to fiddle around with moving things about.

In general, when playing indoors, I would like most of the energy focused near the band and away from the bar areas, which in some cases are quite nearby. However, I would like vocals to remain intelligible throughout the room.

When outdoors, I would like a more even coverage of the entire program.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:49:30 PM by BrianHenry »

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2017, 04:10:38 PM »

Hi Everyone,

In the end, I decided to purchase a single SRX828sp to start. So the obvious next question, what is typically the best bet for positioning a single 2x18? In my application, I will not have much time to fiddle around with moving things about.

Simple answer? Anywhere.

Longer answer? It depends.

What you need to know?
-Corner loading typically will make the bass louder across some areas (especially another corner/near walls).
-Middle front of stage, will make the bass louder for anyone directly in front of the stage; but it uses up space in front of the stage (dance area)
-Side stage, messes with people's brains on symmetry visually, won't sonically sound much/any different than center stage, gives more room to dance.

Anywhere you place the sub will result in phase issues around crossover; there's virtually no way to get around that. So there's a point where it really doesn't matter.

In general, when playing indoors, I would like most of the energy focused near the band and away from the bar areas, which in some cases are quite nearby. However, I would like vocals to remain intelligible throughout the room.

When outdoors, I would like a more even coverage of the entire program.

This is accomplished via the mix and mains placement. Not sub placement.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Brian_Henry

• NJ
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2017, 10:31:17 PM »

Thanks Nathan I was kind of expecting an answer like that. Re the vox, I'm aware but since everyone always asks what the goal is I thought I'd throw that in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2017, 11:10:26 PM »

Thanks Nathan I was kind of expecting an answer like that. Re the vox, I'm aware but since everyone always asks what the goal is I thought I'd throw that in there.

Wasn't trying to be discourteous (I don't think that you think I was, just sayin' incase anyone thinks so).

Do you have some drawings of typical places you play? Maybe that can give a better idea and we can halps moar?

Main thing with single subs or doing subs on only one side is people think it's weird/unsymmetrical/doesn't look right.
But who cares. Listen with your EARS not your eyes (-Ivan).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 11:14:03 PM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Brian_Henry

• NJ
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2017, 11:48:09 PM »

Nathan, not at all! I mean I was kind of expecting an "it depends" lol!

I am certainly not opposed to an asymmetric setup. In fact there is one place I have been experimenting with placing tops other than flanking the band. I appreciate the offer on the drawings. I'll try to find a moment to sketch a couple up. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2017, 11:48:09 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.