ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio signal present indicator?  (Read 3050 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Audio signal present indicator?
« on: March 26, 2017, 10:09:33 PM »

Our pastor likes to have walk-in music playing.  With a digital board, it works very nicely to setup ducking on that music.  This allows the pianist to start playing 5-10 minutes before the service and the occasional pre -service announcement even if the media team is tied up doing last minute service prep.

That is, until the music does not get stopped/turned down.  The ducking releases about the time pastor goes to make opening remarks.

I am using the ST1 inout on our QU-32-so that channel is on the 2nd layer.  I could use a custom layer or move it-that would give a visual reminder that that input is still active.  I think I would prefer something like an obnoxious light to remind us the music is not off (its too easy to think "he shut it off".)

I could design something from scratch-but rather than re-invent the wheel does anyone have a suggestion for an inline signal detector that I can place between the source and the mixer input?
Steve Swaffer

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Audio signal present indicator?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 10:57:10 PM »

Our pastor likes to have walk-in music playing.  With a digital board, it works very nicely to setup ducking on that music.  This allows the pianist to start playing 5-10 minutes before the service and the occasional pre -service announcement even if the media team is tied up doing last minute service prep.

That is, until the music does not get stopped/turned down.  The ducking releases about the time pastor goes to make opening remarks.

I am using the ST1 inout on our QU-32-so that channel is on the 2nd layer.  I could use a custom layer or move it-that would give a visual reminder that that input is still active.  I think I would prefer something like an obnoxious light to remind us the music is not off (its too easy to think "he shut it off".)

I could design something from scratch-but rather than re-invent the wheel does anyone have a suggestion for an inline signal detector that I can place between the source and the mixer input?

If you shut off the music form the source, any ole VU meter on the input line should do the trick. If you shut it off from the desk you would need some sort of GPO linked to the mute (which the QU doesn't have)...but I will ask...How much are you ducking the music?  Sounds like you are ducking it so it is completely off.  I would suggest a 10-20dB duck, so the music is still there in the background.  But completely out of the way of the message.   Also, you will still hear it playing when your service starts, so you wont forget to kill the tracks.

Edit: Re-reading your post, the 10-20dB duck won't work so well with your pianist playing...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:59:57 PM by David Sturzenbecher »
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Audio signal present indicator?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 10:57:10 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 20 queries.