ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Carrying musicians / band equipment , liability ?  (Read 5762 times)

Nick Andrews

Carrying musicians / band equipment , liability ?
« on: March 25, 2017, 12:17:28 PM »

Hi guys ,

As of recent this is a situation that keeps to seem coming up. I provide sound and audio services for several different agency bands that do corporate parties , weddings , and so on. I also rent backline equipment as part of my services.

The musicians are asking for us to carry their personal equipment to and from the gigs. Drum kits , keyboard rigs , bass and guitar amps , band stands , and other things. 

This presents a concern in the liability department for me , and also is a bit of a conflict of interest as I rent backline equipment. It also requires more space in the van and really should require extra labor to help move and setup and load the gear.

The other thing that is a pain in the neck is that I would also have to store this equipment in between gigs, and I would feel responsible if it got damaged or stolen along the way. Also there have been situations where the musicians need to get their equipment from us for other gigs that we are not providing audio, which has been inconvenient.

How would you guys handle this situation ? I have come to a conclusion , but am curious to hear other opinions.

Thanks !
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 12:35:16 PM by Nick Andrews »

Jay Marr

Re: Carrying musicians / band equipment , liability ?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 12:39:27 PM »

Hi guys ,

As of recent this is a situation that keeps to seem coming up. I provide sound and audio services for several different agency bands that do corporate parties , weddings , and so on. I also rent backline equipment as part of my services.

The musicians are asking for us to carry their personal equipment to and from the gigs. Drum kits , keyboard rigs , bass and guitar amps , band stands , and other things. 

This presents a concern in the liability department for me , and also is a bit of a conflict of interest as I rent backline equipment.

The thing that is a pain in the neck is that I would also have to store this equipment in between gigs, and I would feel responsible if it got damaged or stolen. Also there have been situations where the musicians need to get their equipment from us for other gigs that we are not providing audio, which had been inconvenient.

How would you guys handle this situation ? I have come to a conclusion , but am curious to hear other opinions.

Thanks !

I would charge enough so that it was worth your while (and liability).
Go with simple supply/demand economics here.  If they want it - they'll pay for it.

I'm generally of the mindset that if I can provide the service (and there no glaring reasons as to why it's a bad idea), then I will come up with what I consider the right price.
It would be a shame if you just said - 'I'm not doing that', and some other company did it for them (for high dollars), and you missed out on the opportunity to increase your revenue/profit.  Who knows, this could be more profitable that your business of renting back line.
The worst they can say is - 'no, not worth it to me'...and they take their own gear.

I would itemize the charges as well (and make sure they're well aware).
All separate fees:
 - Transport from a venue
 - Transport to a venue
 - Set up gear
 - Store gear (charge per week/month, etc.)
 - Access/pick up (from your shop)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 05:19:22 PM by Jay Marr »

Nick Andrews

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 12:44:44 PM »

I would charge enough so that it was worth your while (and liability).
Go with simple supply/demand economics here.  If they want it - they'll pay for it.

I'm generally of the mindset that if I can provide the service (and there no glaring reasons as to why it's a bad idea), then I will come up with what I consider the right price.
It would be a shame if you just said - 'I'm not doing that', and some other company did it for them (for high dollars), and you missed out on the opportunity to increase your revenue/profit.  Who knows, this could be more profitable that your business of renting back line.
The worst they can say is - 'no, not with it to me'...and they take their own gear.

I would itemize the charges as well (and make sure they're well aware).
All separate fees:
 - Transport from a venue
 - Transport to a venue
 - Set up gear
 - Store gear (charge per week/month, etc.)
 - Access/pick up (from your shop)

Right I agree ...

So which leads to the next question. ... What  kind of money do you charge for this ? And what if they have little to no budget for this and they expect you to some what throw it in for almost nothing , because other companies in the area do it for almost no extra charge , which is extremely annoying I'd it is true!

Say a small backline package

Drum kit with hardware and cymbals
Keyboard with stand and sustain pedal
Guitar combo amp
Bass amp and cab
Band stand transport
Music stands x 5 Manhasset or similar

Transported to and from the event , setup , and stored for the year
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 01:24:34 PM by Nick Andrews »

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 01:13:33 PM »

2 ways I can see this going. You are doing all the work and are assuming responsibility for all their gear so

1) You do exactly as they are expecting and their gear magically shows up at all their events and they get to walk on like big stars.. but it's probably gonna cost them more than they think this is worth.

2) You do exactly as they are expecting but you essentially add all their gear to your own rental inventory and use it as such except for those dates where they are using it obviously, the difference here is they get this service at a steeply discounted rate from scenario 1 since the money you make off their gear offsets your carrying/storage costs.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 01:26:02 PM »

This isn't really an answer to your question, but more of another angle to view the problem from - since you mention the magic word "liability", are you covered in case something happens to their gear while in your possession?  I don't mean to sound dreary and dismal, but what if you wreck the van, someone steals your van at a gas station, something happens while you're storing their gear, etc.?  Feeling bad or responsible is one thing - being asked to pay for it is another.  If they come after you for the full replacement cost of what they lost, is such a situation covered under your insurance policy?  One way or another I'd be charging them for this service.  Hope this helps! 

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 01:28:45 PM »

I wouldn't do anything until I talked to my insurance carrier(s). Damage to their gear may or may not be covered under property damage under your liability policy.  And there surely would be a legal issue listing their gear under your equipment policy as you do not own it.

I think I would insist they carry their own equipment insurance that clearly covers their gear regardless of where it is located at time of damage. It already sounds like you are not going to get enough money to cover this from the bands to take the risk.

EDIT -Looks like Jeff was typing same time as I was.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 03:08:36 PM »

I wouldn't do anything until I talked to my insurance carrier(s). Damage to their gear may or may not be covered under property damage under your liability policy.  And there surely would be a legal issue listing their gear under your equipment policy as you do not own it.

I think I would insist they carry their own equipment insurance that clearly covers their gear regardless of where it is located at time of damage. It already sounds like you are not going to get enough money to cover this from the bands to take the risk.

EDIT -Looks like Jeff was typing same time as I was.

The coverage you are talking about is called "bailee" insurance and covers losses incurred while client equipment is in your care, custody and control.  It is different from general liability.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rob Gow

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 11:17:54 PM »

I'm too busy to be worrying about someone's gear. My own band, depending on the gig, I might.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 05:33:51 AM »

By charging to haul another person's property you become a common carrier with additional permits and paperwork.  Talk to a lawyer in your jurisdiction.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 08:22:48 AM »

Hi guys ,

This presents a concern in the liability department for me , and also is a bit of a conflict of interest as I rent backline equipment. It also requires more space in the van and really should require extra labor to help move and setup and load the gear.

The other thing that is a pain in the neck is that I would also have to store this equipment in between gigs, and I would feel responsible if it got damaged or stolen along the way. Also there have been situations where the musicians need to get their equipment from us for other gigs that we are not providing audio, which has been inconvenient.

Thanks !

As a sound provider at times and a performing musician at times I am on both sides of the fence.
For me: When I provide sound/lighting for a show, all that I want to deal with (and be responsible for) is the gear that is being rented from me - period.

Hey, I am getting paid to provide it, thus it is my responsibility to insure that the gear is in working order.

Now, if I had to also be responsible for the musicians' personal instruments; what if a guitar string breaks as soon as it is removed from the case, what if the keyboard has a key that becomes intermittent after I stored it for a while, what if..????    Who are those musicians going to look at??  Me!

When I tech a gig I have enough on my plate.  Other than a few extra 1/4" shielded cables I do not bring extra muso stuff; guitar picks, drum sticks, strings....

Some techs may bring musician odds/ends but I have never found a tech that carries Vandoren Java Tenor Sax reeds strength 2.5, which I use.

Way too many "what ifs" for me...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:45:03 AM by Mike Monte »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 08:22:48 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 26 queries.