ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tannoy VQ60 and VS218DR  (Read 5062 times)

Peter Hvedstrup

• Disco-Flex
Tannoy VQ60 and VS218DR
« on: March 23, 2017, 03:23:40 AM »

Hi all

I just made a impulsive buy of some very cheap Tannoy. It's 2x VQ60 and 2x VS218DR and im picking it up later this week.

Im planning to test them when i pick them up but Music "support" aren't really helping in supplying a preset for this combo even though i have the correct Linea Research DSP and i can only find the VQ60 preset in the manual without the sub. Therefore im missing crossover point between subs and tops, and correct delay times for a ground stacked scenario.

The boxes are in the Lake load library but all settings are hidden so can't extract them from here. 

Anyone has the preset/settings for this exact system

Any experience with these boxes? On paper they look great but searching online gives mixed reviews.

Brian Harden

• Loud and Clear Productions
Re: Tannoy VQ60 and VS218DR
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 03:11:51 PM »

I had access to some VQNET tops (the powered versions) for a few months a couple years ago.  I absolutely loved the sound of them, but they were not very friendly in terms of transport or stacking.  They were pretty heavy for a trap box.  The linea research amps were not my favorite either.  I would recommend them in a heartbeat for an install, but not necessarily for clubs or band use requiring lots of setup/teardown. 

The other issue is that these didn't gain much traction in the live world.  non-rider stuff wouldn't be a problem, but BE's likely won't be familiar with them. 

Arthur Wnuk

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 07:45:38 PM »

Hello Peter,

Here is an image of the xover info I got from Tannoy before the MG takeover. Hope it helps.

-Arthur

Peter Hvedstrup

• Disco-Flex
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 02:43:46 AM »

Hello Peter,

Here is an image of the xover info I got from Tannoy before the MG takeover. Hope it helps.

-Arthur

Thanks Arthur

You won't happen to have a screen shot of the delay times?

Arthur Wnuk

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 01:20:49 PM »

Thanks Arthur

You won't happen to have a screen shot of the delay times?

I don't have have that info, sorry. My subs are folded horns, not direct radiating like the 218DRs, so the delay I use in not relevant. That said, I know that the uneditable internal processing of the VQ60Net delays the 2x12 mid-bass section by .6998ms relative to the coaxial mid-hi. It would not suprise me if that built-in delay puts the tops and VS218DRs pretty darn close to in-synch when stacked with grills flush.

Graham Hendry

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 04:09:35 PM »

Hi Peter,

I worked on the design of these boxes and commissioned many systems. If you haven't fired them up yet you are in for a surprise.
Drop me an e-mail at [email protected] and we'll get you up and running with the speaker management presets you need.
I'll need to know if you are running the VQ60's 3 way or two way.

Best,

Graham

Hi all

I just made a impulsive buy of some very cheap Tannoy. It's 2x VQ60 and 2x VS218DR and im picking it up later this week.

Im planning to test them when i pick them up but Music "support" aren't really helping in supplying a preset for this combo even though i have the correct Linea Research DSP and i can only find the VQ60 preset in the manual without the sub. Therefore im missing crossover point between subs and tops, and correct delay times for a ground stacked scenario.

The boxes are in the Lake load library but all settings are hidden so can't extract them from here. 

Anyone has the preset/settings for this exact system

Any experience with these boxes? On paper they look great but searching online gives mixed reviews.

Peter Hvedstrup

• Disco-Flex
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 03:15:12 AM »

Hi Peter,

I worked on the design of these boxes and commissioned many systems. If you haven't fired them up yet you are in for a surprise.
Drop me an e-mail at [email protected] and we'll get you up and running with the speaker management presets you need.
I'll need to know if you are running the VQ60's 3 way or two way.

Best,

Graham

Hi all

Graham sorted me out with the correct presets and a lot of knowledge about the product.

Big thanks to Graham.

MikeHarris

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 04:09:06 AM »

Good to see that Uli sees the value in not only the brand but some of the brains behind it.
Big thanks to Graham as well for his sharing of knowledge and support.

Peter Hvedstrup

• Disco-Flex
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 05:47:51 AM »

Good to see that Uli sees the value in not only the brand but some of the brains behind it.
Big thanks to Graham as well for his sharing of knowledge and support.

Yes indeed!

Just fired up the system for the first time last night with the presets supplied from Graham. After fiddeling with gain structure (the tops are LOUD) i got the system sounding fantastic. It's seriously one of the very best top ends i have ever heard. I can only say WOW! Loud as hell and very detailed and hifi'ish. Seriously impressed.

Cons are that its HUGE! A 500L reflex sub is the size of a fridge. Its a 10U extra deep and wide rack next to the system. My Floodlighs and TSW-718 suddenly looks compact. 

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 05:42:29 PM »

I remember visiting the factory where those were built, the big conical horn is made of layers of MDF board about 15mm thick each one machined on a CNC cutter with a part of the final flare, then the whole lot were glued together and the final shape of the horn was hand finished.
 They do sound good though, we used 2 subs per top minimum for louder stuff, if you can find the fly bracket for the top it works even better.
It was possible to buy the system in sections which made it easier to move around but it was still heavy, there are a few installations in the UK in theatres etc and if set up correctly they sound very good in my opinion.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 05:42:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.