ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Importance of basic understanding & fundamentals  (Read 1467 times)

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
Re: Importance of basic understanding & fundamentals
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 11:04:59 am »

The problem in teaching or explaining sound is that it's invisible, but no amount of visualization is likely to create an "ah ha!" moment that can't be done already.

The Ah-Ha! Moment for me happened in high school physics class. We were shown a movie (before video was everywhere) about sound waves. I understood the cyclic nature but always thought of a sign wave. The movie showed parallel lines moving closer together and further apart. Compression and rarefaction. Then it showed similar but using concentric circles. That was the moment! Since then I've seen sound in my head like the concentric circles, or partial circles-arcs.

Judging from the production quality, spliced film and cheap school I would assume the film was from the 60s. But it worked because the fundamentals don't change.
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2017, 12:05:58 pm »

another (very old) way to visibly demonstrate standing waves is the old sand on a flat metal plate that is vibrated by a speaker (or violin bow). The sand will aggregate over nodes and be pushed away from anti-nodes. Again only 2 dimensions but a square or rectangular metal plate is closer to a room shape than a mud puddle.

JR 
On the internet people tell you everything "they" know, not the answer to "your" question.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 12:50:24 pm »

another (very old) way to visibly demonstrate standing waves is the old sand on a flat metal plate that is vibrated by a speaker (or violin bow). The sand will aggregate over nodes and be pushed away from anti-nodes. Again only 2 dimensions but a square or rectangular metal plate is closer to a room shape than a mud puddle.

JR
I dunno JR, I've been in some pretty ugly rooms.....
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 19 queries.