ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waves Impact server. Can it use a keyboard, mouse, and display?  (Read 5578 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography

OK, I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer for. I am running 2 Impact servers on my CL5 and they work great. I'm using the Multirack app to control them on an iMac on the same network, but that iMac is having some issues.

In order to be able to take the iMac out of service, I need a way to control the impact servers. In looking at them, they are just dedicated computers. They have all the right ports on them. Is it possible to hook up a keyboard, mouse, and video to them and control them directly? Will they run Multirack right on the server?

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I inherited this rig, and I can't find the answer online anywhere.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Waves Impact server. Can it use a keyboard, mouse, and display?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 10:26:26 PM »

Tim, no they will not. The servers run a custom Linux image that has no user interface or GUI. All that stuff was removed to make it a purpose driven low latency processing engine.

I did get multirack soundgrid up and running on the X61 you convinced me to get years and years ago. Everything works great except the meters don't respond the best. I did upgrade to an SSD and some more ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 11:52:18 PM »

Tim, no they will not. The servers run a custom Linux image that has no user interface or GUI. All that stuff was removed to make it a purpose driven low latency processing engine.

I did get multirack soundgrid up and running on the X61 you convinced me to get years and years ago. Everything works great except the meters don't respond the best. I did upgrade to an SSD and some more ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Haha! Awesome! I'm still using them daily. I have 3 right now. 2 work, and one is busted. Actually I need to fix the 3rd one to put some car diagnostic software on.

It seems a little weird to me that the only way to use the Impact server computer is with another computer! lol... Oh well. I'll figure something out.

Thanks.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 01:37:27 AM »

Haha! Awesome! I'm still using them daily. I have 3 right now. 2 work, and one is busted. Actually I need to fix the 3rd one to put some car diagnostic software on.

It seems a little weird to me that the only way to use the Impact server computer is with another computer! lol... Oh well. I'll figure something out.

Thanks.

Weaver, it's guys like you that try to blur the server/client line...  ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 03:48:35 PM »

Weaver, it's guys like you that try to blur the server/client line...  ;)

I been breaking rules most of my life. Why should this be any different!

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 06:32:49 PM »

You are going to give me nightmares Tim... That looks like a disaster waiting to happen...
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 09:16:29 AM »

I been breaking rules most of my life. Why should this be any different!

Wow.
A late 70's "Line Dis-Array"
Sure made your heart skip a beat when you saw a rig like that for the first time.
Then, in awe. Now, in shock.
How times have changed.
Back then, I did piles like that, because I could !
One day, sitting in the shop, listening to some tunes on 1 piece of low, mid, high, and it sounded a hell of a lot nicer than the whole rig. That's when the learning process really started for me.
A lot of you know that feeling. Been there, done that.
Made a lot of sawdust.......
Imagine where we'd be if this interthingy was around back then......
Chris.
Still, I'd love to resurrect one of my old rigs, and see what it could do today, with modern processing.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 09:16:29 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.