ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wired IEM Cable Looms?  (Read 3469 times)

Peter Kowalczyk

Wired IEM Cable Looms?
« on: March 19, 2017, 07:44:25 PM »

Hey Folks,

my band is making the jump to wired IEMs, using Behringer P1 Beltpacks and X32 console / X32Q app.

I'm considering making some custom cables for my bass player and myself (guitar) that include a stereo pair of XLR returns and a DC power pair for the beltpack, plus a 1/4" unbalanced instrument cable send.  One end obviously lands at the beltpack, clipped to my guitar strap, with the guitar's output jack nearby.  The other end will land at a pedalboard where theres power and where monitor returns can land.

My saxophone player would need a variant with a third XLR run going the other direction (bell mic to pedal rig); my drummer would need one with only power and a stereo balanced return pair, no send.

Does something like this already exist as a pre-manufactured item that would save me a few hours of component sourcing and assembly?

If not, would there be any interest from forum members if I were to make a bunch of them?

Cheers!

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Wired IEM Cable Looms?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 08:28:47 PM »

Hey Folks,

my band is making the jump to wired IEMs, using Behringer P1 Beltpacks and X32 console / X32Q app.

I'm considering making some custom cables for my bass player and myself (guitar) that include a stereo pair of XLR returns and a DC power pair for the beltpack, plus a 1/4" unbalanced instrument cable send.  One end obviously lands at the beltpack, clipped to my guitar strap, with the guitar's output jack nearby.  The other end will land at a pedalboard where theres power and where monitor returns can land.

My saxophone player would need a variant with a third XLR run going the other direction (bell mic to pedal rig); my drummer would need one with only power and a stereo balanced return pair, no send.

Does something like this already exist as a pre-manufactured item that would save me a few hours of component sourcing and assembly?

If not, would there be any interest from forum members if I were to make a bunch of them?

Cheers!

Sounds to me like something you could use cat5 cable for. Probably one of the usual cable makers (CBI, Rapco, etc) could build a small breakout that would use an ethercon connector.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 02:32:21 PM »

Sounds to me like something you could use cat5 cable for. Probably one of the usual cable makers (CBI, Rapco, etc) could build a small breakout that would use an ethercon connector.

Interesting idea, Mike.  The four pairs would do it...  maybe a silly question, but is cat5 cable available with individually shielded pairs?  Or would it rely on the CMRR of the balanced receivers and relatively short length to reject noise and crosstalk? 

Any recommendations on supple and flexible raw cable stock to work with?  Most of the IT-type cat 5 cables I've handled are pretty stiff...

Luke Robinson

• audio gods
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 08:51:42 PM »

There are many companies that make a rubber jacketed stranded core cat5 cable, Gepco makes a nice one as does Belden.

That being said I would reccomend that you look into the Behringer PM1

https://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Signal-Processors/In-Ear-Monitor-Systems/PM1/p/P0BKB

This little pack is passive, you use a multi channel headphone amp at the head end next to the mixer, and you just have to run one XLR into it for a stereo signal, no need for a power cable to each pack since it is amplified at the rack. the concept is similar to that of using a passive speaker. This means one cable instead of 3 in this case. The nicest thing about it is that if you make a rack panel to convert all of the outputs on the rane to XLR you don't need to carry any special cables, that you may not have spares for.

I am a particular fan of the Rane Hc6S headphone amp with sounds great and gives you 6 separate stereo IEM mixes in one rack space.

I have run this exact setup (with another brand of pack that behringer models this one after)  for years with several bands and they are all quite happy with it.

Jason Carter

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 09:35:39 PM »

How important is it for band members to have the 'beltpack' with them?

If the 'beltpack' stays with their pedalboard/on top of their amp then all you need to run to each player is instrument cable and a headphone extender which are easier to combine.  Volume knob shouldn't need to be adjusted during set but on pedalboard is still not difficult to reach if there's an issue.

One cool idea I've seen is attaching a carabiner to the end of the cable.  Carabiner clips to your belt and holds everything in place.

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 02:12:24 PM »

@ Jason - Yes, I had that epiphany the other day as well, that the beltpack can stay on the pedalboard.  Not a bad idea.  A headphone extension e-taped to my guitar cable is a lot less bulky than a pair of XLRs and a 9V DC run, for sure (yes, I avoid batteries whenever possible).

@ Luke - we did look into the PM1 as opposed to the P1, but the incremental cost increase of a few P1 beltpacks is still more economical (bulk notwithstanding) than adding a standalone headphone amp to the rack and the requisite TRS > XLR adaptors.  Plus, we've already purchased a few P1s, so we're on down that path for now.

Thanks all!

Jason Carter

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 02:30:58 AM »

Great :)

That's exactly what I do - bit of electrical tape and you're sorted.  If you want to be really fancy you can add some tech flex or something like that over the top http://www.techflex.com.au

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 02:30:58 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.