ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Need input from JTR 3TX users  (Read 19363 times)

Steve Crump

Need input from JTR 3TX users
« on: March 19, 2017, 05:23:37 PM »

Gear addiction is a very serious issue, we may need a therapy board.  ;D

This summer we are doing a outside summer series in the street, bring a bag chair and enjoy. Historically this series has attracted 150 to 200 with 300 in attendance only once. 4 & 5 pcs bands, Blues, Country and some jam (think Allman Brothers). Family oriented, with a couple food vendors. I will attach a half--- CAD sketch.
I have a Yorkville U15 and UCS1 setup (2) a side, but I am always wanting new equipment, especially lighter mains.
The JTR Noesis 3TX really has caught my attention. 100db sensitivity versus 98db on my Yorkvilles. So in theory two Yorkville 1w1m 101db versus one JTR at 100db.

I could get the JTR with the 90 degree horn and have pretty good coverage with a single speaker on each side. 120 degrees using the Yorkville, 90 with the JTR. I would prefer the 60 degree horn so I can easily add two more JTRs later, but I can't bite off (4) JTRs now and I would rather have a better horizontal coverage.
I just think the 90H horn would be a lot more versatile with a one per side setup to start with.

I could power at 1250 watts 4 ohm with a PLX3602 or I could go 1250 watts with the MA5000i at 8 ohm or even 2500 watts at 4 ohm depending on how I ordered the JTRs and have a chance to add another set of JTRs later for larger outdoor events.

My question for anyone with experience using this speaker is, based on this setup what are your thoughts? Will 2 JTRs with this summer series setup "kill it"? Also what type of outdoor small festival type shows have you done with your JTRs?
With the stellar reviews I have read and the fact that the JTRs weight only 49lbs it really has my attention. Man with this small footprint it would give me all kinds of options.

royaljenner

Re: Need input from JTR 3TX users
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 06:27:06 AM »

I could get the JTR with the 90 degree horn and have pretty good coverage with a single speaker on each side. 120 degrees using the Yorkville, 90 with the JTR. I would prefer the 60 degree horn so I can easily add two more JTRs later, but I can't bite off (4) JTRs now and I would rather have a better horizontal coverage.
I just think the 90H horn would be a lot more versatile with a one per side setup to start with

Hi,
Although not outdoors, I use 2 JTR Noesis on an itech 6k to cover 1000 kids in a gymnasium 110' deep by 100' wide with no issue.  I have the 60x40 horn and setup with them 24' apart slightly toed inward.

Jeff offers Coverage Patterns 60×40 (rotatable) OR 90×60 degrees (rotatable) and it's actually something you can buy and you change afterward.  So you could start with two at 90 and later 2 more at 60 while picking up 2 new horn bodies (not drivers or anything really expensive.)

I suggest you contact Jeff about your application.  He's a standup guy who won't snow you with techno marketing babble.  He will tell you what his gear can and or cannot do.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 11:52:08 AM »

I just think the 90H horn would be a lot more versatile with a one per side setup to start with.

I could power at 1250 watts 4 ohm with a PLX3602 or I could go 1250 watts with the MA5000i at 8 ohm or even 2500 watts at 4 ohm depending on how I ordered the JTRs and have a chance to add another set of JTRs later for larger outdoor events.

My question for anyone with experience using this speaker is, based on this setup what are your thoughts? Will 2 JTRs with this summer series setup "kill it"? Also what type of outdoor small festival type shows have you done with your JTRs?
With the stellar reviews I have read and the fact that the JTRs weight only 49lbs it really has my attention. Man with this small footprint it would give me all kinds of options.

We have the JTR Noesis 3TX and use them for nearly everything - they are so versatile, extremely accurate, and can cover nearly any (reasonable) scenario/venue/event. They are extremely overbuilt - the crossovers, drivers, and cabinets are unbelievably robust.

We started out running the 3TX (90/60, 4-ohm) on a PLX3602, both channels driven. This worked very well for everything we needed. We used them at an outdoor facility where the stage didn't have any backdrop/building/etc behind it or near it, and the audience was situated on a 3-story "deck" that was about 80-100 feet from the stage. No issues providing full, even coverage.

We then transitioned to the PL380 amplifier for the 3TX, and again - no issues at all. The 3TX is extremely efficient, so power needs aren't that great. They also don't need a ton of processing to sound good. I usually adjust the crossover order to the needs of my environment. After talking with Jeff, we primarily use LR24 at 105Hz - that usually works at most venues.

As Royal mentioned, Jeff is extremely solid. No fluff, no hype, no over-promising. Every single show that we do has people coming up to us during and after to ask about our gear. They are impressed by the clarity and performance and can't believe things are so compact.

We are planning to add two more 3TX to the inventory; when that happens, I'll buy the 60x40 horns as well. I wish I had purchased the 8-ohm version, because it would've been nice to run all 4 from a single PL380.

If I were you, I'd buy the 3TX in the 8-ohm, 90x60 configuration and run it from a PLX3602. It'll be more than enough for the event listed above. If you do find yourself wanting to expand, then I'd buy another 3TX and get the 60x40 horns, and run them from 2 PLX3602 or a single PL380/iTech/equivalent.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 02:31:22 PM »

As Royal mentioned, Jeff is extremely solid. No fluff, no hype, no over-promising. Every single show that we do has people coming up to us during and after to ask about our gear. They are impressed by the clarity and performance and can't believe things are so compact.

This ^^^.

I met Jeff in 2007 at Paul Bell's NYC Sub Shootout.  He brought the original Growler and it made an impression.  Easily the smallest unit there, it had a pleasing & musical quality.  It didn't go really low or have a huge output spec, but the group seemed surprised at tonality and level, esp considering the size & weight.  It put JTR on my "companies to watch" list.  Jeff's attention to his customer base is very good and that's a major thing these days.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 03:32:33 PM »

I also have the Noesis 3TX (60x90, 4ohms) and Orbit Shifters. I haven't used them for a lot of gigs at this point but I will confirm that the sound & build quality are first rate. The specs listed are accurate, if not conservative and the service from Jeff is great. My biggest gig with them has been on the top open deck of a cruise ship, 200 people, the artist was playing very intense Trap & Hardstyle EDM and the Noesis were incredibly loud but accurate, while loafing along at about 1/3 power from a Crown XTI6002.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Steve Crump

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 07:55:22 PM »

Thanks everyone for the input. It is exactly what I wanted to hear.
It's really good to have a forum like this, so info can be shared.

Steve

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 12:02:32 AM »

Thanks everyone for the input. It is exactly what I wanted to hear.
It's really good to have a forum like this, so info can be shared.

Steve
Ours is a microscopic economy, live sound.  All non-consumer sound (installed PAs, paging systems, voice warning, industrial intercom, nurse call systems, etc) is a lot bigger but still tiny in the grand scheme of things.

It's possible to meet and know many of the folks who design the gear we use every day.  Developing friendships and networking are important in any business but I think they're even more valuable in our little industry.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ron Ventour

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 12:11:02 PM »

Hey everyone, i myself have 2 3tx (90/60 4ohm) version and 2 (4ohm) orbit shifters and to be honest never once used them as yet...been still using my srx800 rig for most of my events so my jtr rig is just sitting there...Looking on advice as to which amps i should get for my jtr rig, i have narrowed it down to either the crown hd 4x3500 to push the entire rig or 1 crown itech hd1200 for the orbit shifters and a hd5000 for the 3tx..or the power soft k8,k10 amps...keep in mind i will be getting 2 more orbit shifters in the future to make 4 total....any advice on the amps would be greatly appreciated..thanks

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 02:58:20 PM »

Hey everyone, i myself have 2 3tx (90/60 4ohm) version and 2 (4ohm) orbit shifters and to be honest never once used them as yet...been still using my srx800 rig for most of my events so my jtr rig is just sitting there...Looking on advice as to which amps i should get for my jtr rig, i have narrowed it down to either the crown hd 4x3500 to push the entire rig or 1 crown itech hd1200 for the orbit shifters and a hd5000 for the 3tx..or the power soft k8,k10 amps...keep in mind i will be getting 2 more orbit shifters in the future to make 4 total....any advice on the amps would be greatly appreciated..thanks

Jeff recently posted recommended limiter settings for the 3TX and OS on his website:

https://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.com/post/limiters-8679462

Those guidelines might help with amplifier selection. FWIW, we use PLD4.5 and PL380 amps for our JTR speakers and have had great results.

Jonathan Woytek

• http://www.dryrose.com
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 03:34:01 PM »

I can't speak to the OS amps, but I use a PLD 4.5 to run two Noesis 3TX and two Captivator 212pro's. I run the amp in AB, C, D mode with the subs paralleled off of the AB channel, and the mains in stereo off of C and D. With the limiters set per Jeff's recommendations, that seems to provide plenty of headroom. I have some additional information posted in a review over on the review board here. Feel free to contact me if you have other questions.

Jonathan
Jonathan Woytek
Dryrose Productions

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 03:34:01 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.