ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Weather proof box for amplifier  (Read 5949 times)

Roger Talkov

Re: Weather proof box for amplifier
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 11:09:30 AM »

Here's another idea, Technomad already has weather proofed amps and it looks like they have a wireless audio link option as well. It actually looks like there using a modded Hammond style cabinet.
https://www.technomad.com/products/powerchiton/
[/quote]

Thanks Mike!  The school wanted to use what they had of existing gear but the more I think about it the better the Technomad solution might need to be the one.  They are a  fairly local company and they make some rugged stuff so I think I will revisit that and maybe recommend they rethink using the existing gear.  They are building a new stadium soon and they just don't want to sink more money into a solution that is going to get torn down in a year or two.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 11:34:39 PM »

They already have the speaker.  Its currently mounted on the backstop.  They just want to move it out to the field aimed in so that the neighbors don't bitch as much.  Long story.......

Turning down the PGM is not an option?

File in your "unexpected" folder":  a local baseball stadium (aging AAA league facility) installed new short vertical array to cover the grandstands from the far side, maybe a 300 ft 'throw'.  At the time I lived 4 blocks from the stadium and could clearly hear, at annoying level, all of the music and announcements from my back porch.  Particularly noticed when it was very hot and humid from mid afternoon into evening, and those were the clues that the system designer had not compensated for the effect to propagation resulting from heat rising from the playing field and asphalt parking lots.  When I visited the stadium my eyeball estimator also thought the array should have been aimed down another -10° or maybe more, to maximize coverage to all seats and not just the top rows.  There's more to the story but when I talked with the designer he insisted the array was correctly aimed and ignored the convection connection.  I had moved by then and don't know if anything was done to correct it.

edit ps:  The take-away here is that for the most part the team wasn't complaining about SPL in the park because they could turn it up and nothing broke - but a big chunk of the radiated audio was shooting right over the West Grandstand and aimed in my general direction.  Better aiming of the array would have put more PA in more seats with less energy expended outside the stadium.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:43:46 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Roger Talkov

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 11:56:08 AM »

Turning down the PGM is not an option?

File in your "unexpected" folder":  a local baseball stadium (aging AAA league facility) installed new short vertical array to cover the grandstands from the far side, maybe a 300 ft 'throw'.  At the time I lived 4 blocks from the stadium and could clearly hear, at annoying level, all of the music and announcements from my back porch.  Particularly noticed when it was very hot and humid from mid afternoon into evening, and those were the clues that the system designer had not compensated for the effect to propagation resulting from heat rising from the playing field and asphalt parking lots.  When I visited the stadium my eyeball estimator also thought the array should have been aimed down another -10° or maybe more, to maximize coverage to all seats and not just the top rows.  There's more to the story but when I talked with the designer he insisted the array was correctly aimed and ignored the convection connection.  I had moved by then and don't know if anything was done to correct it.

edit ps:  The take-away here is that for the most part the team wasn't complaining about SPL in the park because they could turn it up and nothing broke - but a big chunk of the radiated audio was shooting right over the West Grandstand and aimed in my general direction.  Better aiming of the array would have put more PA in more seats with less energy expended outside the stadium.

Interesting Tim....I think some of that might be going on now but we have experimented with aiming and I think the speaker placement is just not great right now. We did suggest turning it down but I guess it was so low that there was no point on even having a sound system.  That is why they want to move the speaker to the outfield facing in.  The speaker facing in from center field towards the field means that any traveling of sound will go towards the campus not towards the neighbors. Technomad has an IP66 rated amp we can throw on the pole to make the move possible. I'll report back if the school goes for it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 11:56:08 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.