ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weather proof box for amplifier  (Read 5951 times)

Roger Talkov

Weather proof box for amplifier
« on: March 15, 2017, 01:02:17 PM »

All:
We have a  request to move a big speaker to centerfield at a baseball field.  Getting speaker wires out there is not going to happen so we're going to use Neutrik Xirium most likely to get a signal out there however we need to mount an amplifier on the light pole out there (power no problem).  Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a steel weather proof box that we can mount on the pole that could accommodate a 2 space rack mount amp or does anyone have any other idea that may work? Of course it has to vent somehow as well. (need screen door in the submarine)

Regards to the list
Roger

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Weather proof box for amplifier
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 05:40:27 PM »

Here are a couple companies I found when doing some research for a project.

http://www.amprod.us/p-10-modular-enclosure-16ru.aspx

https://www.ddbunlimited.com/more/outdoor-rackmount/single-door-outdoor/sod-302420.html#more-514

If you don't rack mount the amp but stand it up on it's side you could use a much smaller enclosure, that really only works though if your putting a minimal amount of equipment in the enclosure.

Roger Talkov

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 06:37:40 PM »

thats awesome Mike.  I don't need to rack mount it- I think I can just toss it in there more or less so maybe those companies make a smaller box. 

Thank you!

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 06:38:21 PM »

All:
We have a  request to move a big speaker to centerfield at a baseball field.  Getting speaker wires out there is not going to happen so we're going to use Neutrik Xirium most likely to get a signal out there however we need to mount an amplifier on the light pole out there (power no problem).  Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a steel weather proof box that we can mount on the pole that could accommodate a 2 space rack mount amp or does anyone have any other idea that may work? Of course it has to vent somehow as well. (need screen door in the submarine)

Regards to the list
Roger

Can you just use a self-powered IP rated speaker?
I see that Xirium is IP54 rated.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Weather proof box for amplifier
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 07:54:55 PM »

Is the Xirium reshipping yet after the recall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 08:19:12 PM »

Is the Xirium reshipping yet after the recall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I don't think we have gotten ours back yet.  It has been gone awhile.

Of course it may have come back and I don't know it.

They don't tell me everything.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 08:19:30 PM »

Look for nema4x outdoor enclosure.  We've used Hammond for several applications. 

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/PJU_HSC.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roger Talkov

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 09:03:08 PM »

Can you just use a self-powered IP rated speaker?
I see that Xirium is IP54 rated.

Lee
They already have the speaker.  Its currently mounted on the backstop.  They just want to move it out to the field aimed in so that the neighbors don't bitch as much.  Long story.......

Roger Talkov

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 09:06:18 PM »

I don't think we have gotten ours back yet.  It has been gone awhile.

Of course it may have come back and I don't know it.

They don't tell me everything.

Any other options besides Xirium? I only need one channel.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 09:39:01 PM »

Any other options besides Xirium? I only need one channel.

How much range do you need.
I know Sennheiser in ear transmitters with work with their wireless mic receivers as an audio RF link.

How is the remote amp and equipment going to be powered on and off. Is the circuit that it will power it on a separate breaker that they will try to remember to turn off when the games are over. You could use an audio sensing relay (RDL makes one) and have it close an AC power relay to turn on the amp, the receiver would have to be on the whole time though or move the AC auto powering set up back to the main building...if that's the building feeding the power to the remote amp.

For just about any amp stuck in a box it will need some form of venting.

Here's another idea, Technomad already has weather proofed amps and it looks like they have a wireless audio link option as well. It actually looks like there using a modded Hammond style cabinet.
https://www.technomad.com/products/powerchiton/

Roger Talkov

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 11:09:30 AM »

Here's another idea, Technomad already has weather proofed amps and it looks like they have a wireless audio link option as well. It actually looks like there using a modded Hammond style cabinet.
https://www.technomad.com/products/powerchiton/
[/quote]

Thanks Mike!  The school wanted to use what they had of existing gear but the more I think about it the better the Technomad solution might need to be the one.  They are a  fairly local company and they make some rugged stuff so I think I will revisit that and maybe recommend they rethink using the existing gear.  They are building a new stadium soon and they just don't want to sink more money into a solution that is going to get torn down in a year or two.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 11:34:39 PM »

They already have the speaker.  Its currently mounted on the backstop.  They just want to move it out to the field aimed in so that the neighbors don't bitch as much.  Long story.......

Turning down the PGM is not an option?

File in your "unexpected" folder":  a local baseball stadium (aging AAA league facility) installed new short vertical array to cover the grandstands from the far side, maybe a 300 ft 'throw'.  At the time I lived 4 blocks from the stadium and could clearly hear, at annoying level, all of the music and announcements from my back porch.  Particularly noticed when it was very hot and humid from mid afternoon into evening, and those were the clues that the system designer had not compensated for the effect to propagation resulting from heat rising from the playing field and asphalt parking lots.  When I visited the stadium my eyeball estimator also thought the array should have been aimed down another -10° or maybe more, to maximize coverage to all seats and not just the top rows.  There's more to the story but when I talked with the designer he insisted the array was correctly aimed and ignored the convection connection.  I had moved by then and don't know if anything was done to correct it.

edit ps:  The take-away here is that for the most part the team wasn't complaining about SPL in the park because they could turn it up and nothing broke - but a big chunk of the radiated audio was shooting right over the West Grandstand and aimed in my general direction.  Better aiming of the array would have put more PA in more seats with less energy expended outside the stadium.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:43:46 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Roger Talkov

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 11:56:08 AM »

Turning down the PGM is not an option?

File in your "unexpected" folder":  a local baseball stadium (aging AAA league facility) installed new short vertical array to cover the grandstands from the far side, maybe a 300 ft 'throw'.  At the time I lived 4 blocks from the stadium and could clearly hear, at annoying level, all of the music and announcements from my back porch.  Particularly noticed when it was very hot and humid from mid afternoon into evening, and those were the clues that the system designer had not compensated for the effect to propagation resulting from heat rising from the playing field and asphalt parking lots.  When I visited the stadium my eyeball estimator also thought the array should have been aimed down another -10° or maybe more, to maximize coverage to all seats and not just the top rows.  There's more to the story but when I talked with the designer he insisted the array was correctly aimed and ignored the convection connection.  I had moved by then and don't know if anything was done to correct it.

edit ps:  The take-away here is that for the most part the team wasn't complaining about SPL in the park because they could turn it up and nothing broke - but a big chunk of the radiated audio was shooting right over the West Grandstand and aimed in my general direction.  Better aiming of the array would have put more PA in more seats with less energy expended outside the stadium.

Interesting Tim....I think some of that might be going on now but we have experimented with aiming and I think the speaker placement is just not great right now. We did suggest turning it down but I guess it was so low that there was no point on even having a sound system.  That is why they want to move the speaker to the outfield facing in.  The speaker facing in from center field towards the field means that any traveling of sound will go towards the campus not towards the neighbors. Technomad has an IP66 rated amp we can throw on the pole to make the move possible. I'll report back if the school goes for it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 11:56:08 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.