ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: are camera shutters really that loud?  (Read 11552 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: are camera shutters really that loud?
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 04:10:31 AM »

It was worse when it was film cameras with motor drives.

It still is film cameras with me.  I have seventy of them from 35mm up to 5x4.  No motor drives though.

Steve.

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 11:49:34 AM »

Sound effects in films - humbug! Who here ever listened to "Fibber McGee and Molly"? Now THOSE were sound effects that make you take notice. (Maybe you kids can Google that.)

Opening the hall closet is my favorite sound effect ever.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 12:12:05 PM »

I guess the Foley crowd might hype the camera clicks in a movie, just wondering about everyday real press conferences.

When we watch a professional basketball game they close mic and EQ the net so we hear a nice audible swoosh when they score.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Steve M Smith

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 12:28:35 PM »

The sound effect which annoys me most is the 'clang' sound industrial lights make as they are switched on one at a time.  Usually in a building with large spotlights conveniently fitted behind slowly rotating fans.

Steve.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 01:36:26 PM »

I guess the Foley crowd might hype the camera clicks in a movie, just wondering about everyday real press conferences.

When we watch a professional basketball game they close mic and EQ the net so we hear a nice audible swoosh when they score.

JR

Sometimes 2 mics - one on the net, the other on the backboard for the ball impact sound and sometime the resonance of rim, depending on what the director is wanting.

For wrestling it's common to hide a lav mic in each corner post to get the impact sounds and grunts from the talent when they're hurled or slammed into the turnbuckles.  Under-ring micing for the slaps, slams and booms.  Wrestling ring suspension & structure are built to make noise, BTW.  You almost never hear the ring in a boxing match.

I think part of the camera sounds you're hearing is in fact AGC related... possibly the open mic(s) to pick up the press pool questions.  Lots o' gain as it's primarily for the media feed & archive.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 08:51:10 PM »

The sound effect which annoys me most is the 'clang' sound industrial lights make as they are switched on one at a time.  Usually in a building with large spotlights conveniently fitted behind slowly rotating fans.
Steve.
You must not watch many Kung Fu movies then.   ;D  The throwing of a punch sounds like a rope swung though the air.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 01:34:03 PM »

The "clang" sound can be heard when a large bank of magnetically-ballasted lights are powered up. Even when you turn on the lights in an entire office that's equipped with electronic-ballast fluorescent lights you'll hear a noise, but it's not quite the clang.

But, yes, they do seem to exaggerate it in the movies. (Not to mention the complete lack of any protective screens surrounding those enormous, slowly rotating fans. Are there no OSHA inspectors in Hollywood?)
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 11:59:59 PM »

But, yes, they do seem to exaggerate it in the movies. (Not to mention the complete lack of any protective screens surrounding those enormous, slowly rotating fans. Are there no OSHA inspectors in Hollywood?)
Yes there are OSHA inspectors in Hollywood, they make sure only assistants are fed into fans, or is it only fans become assistants after emerging from the fans? Whatever...

Steve M Smith

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 04:08:10 AM »

The "clang" sound can be heard when a large bank of magnetically-ballasted lights are powered up.

But in the films, they get turned on one at a time with a sound like a bank vault door closing.

Steve.

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 12:56:56 PM »

As a Navy vet, I am always annoyed when the movies show a submarine sneaking quietly underwater, but some sound guy has to put the "pinging" sound into it. BTW real sonar hasn't used the "ping" sound in decades.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 12:56:56 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.