ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: are camera shutters really that loud?  (Read 2751 times)

Nikhil Mulay

Re: are camera shutters really that loud?
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 03:24:14 am »

Canon did have a camera a while ago which was completely silent for wildlife photography..
The details escape me bit they didn't use a standard focal plane shutter. Instead they used a mirror with 50% reflectively and the shutter was digital.
Not sure if it's still available.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 03:51:35 am »

They can be loud or quiet.  I have a Bronica which is very loud and a Rolleiflex which is almost silent.

Steve.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 07:50:17 am »

Canon did have a camera a while ago which was completely silent for wildlife photography..
The details escape me bit they didn't use a standard focal plane shutter. Instead they used a mirror with 50% reflectively and the shutter was digital.
Not sure if it's still available.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
I remember the model you are talking about, but forget what the heck they called it.
Back in the film days, I believe. There were a couple of 1-series with "unique" modifications available to pro's (or really rich bird hunters)
All EOS have semi-reflective main mirrors, as the autofocus gack is behind the mirror, at the bottom of the mirror box.

When you press the shutter, a lot of stuff is going on. Metering is up in the pentaprism, so it is disabled as the mirror swings up. A smaller mirror, behind the main mirror (sending light to the autofocus) is also moved out of the way. tracking and metering is active again when the mirror flips back down between shots. Then, the shutter curtains are moving as well.
A lot of the noise you hear is mirror slap, not the actual shutter curtains.

You want quiet, get a Leica or Rolie TLR. Both film, and no, I have no idea about the digital versions.
Or, turn off the shutter FX on your P&S.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 08:06:46 am »

I remember the model you are talking about, but forget what the heck they called it.
Back in the film days, I believe. There were a couple of 1-series with "unique" modifications available to pro's (or really rich bird hunters)
All EOS have semi-reflective main mirrors, as the autofocus gack is behind the mirror, at the bottom of the mirror box.

When you press the shutter, a lot of stuff is going on. Metering is up in the pentaprism, so it is disabled as the mirror swings up. A smaller mirror, behind the main mirror (sending light to the autofocus) is also moved out of the way. tracking and metering is active again when the mirror flips back down between shots. Then, the shutter curtains are moving as well.
A lot of the noise you hear is mirror slap, not the actual shutter curtains.

You want quiet, get a Leica or Rolie TLR. Both film, and no, I have no idea about the digital versions.
Or, turn off the shutter FX on your P&S.
Chris.

Not sure if it's the model you guys are thinking of, but Waaaaay Back (like 1970s) Canon had the Pellix.  Semi-silvered mirror that didn't move, photocell for the light meter was behind it and that swung down when the shutter was released.  Metal-panel focal plane shutter.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 08:14:01 am by Tim McCulloch »
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Scott Helmke

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 10:40:04 am »

I've been known to give photogs serious stink-eye during quiet parts of shows. Those big professional DSLR cameras can have very noisy shutters.

Rick Earl

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 11:06:39 am »

Are camera shutters as loud as they sound during photo opportunities, or is that just another audio cliche like microphone squeal as iconic of live sound?

I can imagine a bunch of extra gain from a heavily compressed room ambience mic in a previously quiet room, but it sounded hyped to me.

JR

On an SLR camera, there is a mirror that also flips up out of the way, shutter opens/closes and mirror flips back,  and that is a lot of the noise in the system.   On some digital cameras, you can lock the mirror up and use the digital display to frame your pictures and all you hear is the mechanical shutter, which is quieter.  Some of the new models are mirror less and have a digital viewfinder, so it operated like a standard SLR, I have found those to be much quieter.  With the advent of digital, at least we've gotten rid of those really noisy motor drives for high speed film shooting.   For sports and noisy environments I like my Canon and the lenses I have, but for quiet events and nature, my Sony mirror less is my first choice. (It's lighter too)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 12:15:05 pm »

Not sure if it's the model you guys are thinking of, but Waaaaay Back (like 1970s) Canon had the Pellix.  Semi-silvered mirror that didn't move, photocell for the light meter was behind it and that swung down when the shutter was released.  Metal-panel focal plane shutter.

Y E S
That's the one Tim.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 12:32:22 pm »

The shutter curtains themselves are not the loud bit.  It's the mirror mechanism that makes most sound.

Steve.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 01:54:55 pm »

The shutter curtains themselves are not the loud bit.  It's the mirror mechanism that makes most sound.

Steve.

The net result is that in the camera pit at a political event, or a media event, when the many cameras start all shooting at high frame rates it does in fact get that loud. It was worse when it was film cameras with motor drives.

Mac

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 05:31:26 pm »

The net result is that in the camera pit at a political event, or a media event, when the many cameras start all shooting at high frame rates it does in fact get that loud. It was worse when it was film cameras with motor drives.

Mac
Thanks, it sounds like there is some compression or AGC going on too, because they start out louder and then level out a little.  I was just wondering if it was hyped at all...

JR
On the internet people tell you everything "they" know, not the answer to "your" question.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 17 queries.