ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Church lighting console recommendation?  (Read 6062 times)

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
Church lighting console recommendation?
« on: March 13, 2017, 12:14:22 PM »

I serve at a growing church and we're running into limitations with our current Jands Stage CL lighting console. We've run out of available fixtures and the console is sometimes very slow to respond. We don't currently have any moving light fixtures but could add them in the future. Our existing lighting rig is a variety of LED lights for set and background with Source 4 fixtures for front wash. I'm looking for a step up in capability from the Jands Stage CL while still being fairly straight forward to operate. Do you have any reasonably priced suggestions? I'm also open to computer based solutions if there's a clear winner there (ideally we would still have some flavor of control surface or fader bank though).

Thank you!

Jeff

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Church lighting console recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 12:55:14 PM »

I serve at a growing church and we're running into limitations with our current Jands Stage CL lighting console. We've run out of available fixtures and the console is sometimes very slow to respond. We don't currently have any moving light fixtures but could add them in the future. Our existing lighting rig is a variety of LED lights for set and background with Source 4 fixtures for front wash. I'm looking for a step up in capability from the Jands Stage CL while still being fairly straight forward to operate. Do you have any reasonably priced suggestions? I'm also open to computer based solutions if there's a clear winner there (ideally we would still have some flavor of control surface or fader bank though).

Thank you!

Jeff

Wouldn't the natural progression be to go to the full feature Jands Vista software?

I'm a fan and have installed it at many churches. Everyone loves it.

That said, others might prefer MA on pc or Martin MPC for a more traditional feel.

Disclaimer: not a dealer, just a user/fan/installer.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

John Fruits

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 05:53:14 PM »

Here are a few to take a look at:
Pathway Cognito2
ETC Colorsource 20,40, 20AV and 40AV
Martin MPC with M Touch and/or M Play
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Church lighting console recommendation
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 06:17:34 PM »

I work with a church who has to MA onPC setups.  One is using a command wing and the other a node 1k. 

The node is being used on a portable campus with the ability to do programming for that campus using the command wing and MA 3D.  This setup was an upgrade from a iPad Luminair system and was upgraded because of the addition of movers.

We really like the MA system because it's powerful in its ability to control fixtures and do complicated effects programming.  We program the cues for each song into a sequence and then just build the weeks set out of the existing sequences (if song arrangements don't change then neither do lighting cues and lyric backgrounds).  This makes programming lighting very easy week to week.  Paid staff does the programming and then volunteers just have to hit go at the right time.

Additionally with the MA setup you can output your universes on artnet as well as standard dmx.  The command wing unlocks 2048 channels (4 universes) but it only has 2 dmx universe outputs.  We can output those same channels to artnet in addition to the other 1024 channels.  This works well for when we are doing overflow in other rooms.  Those other rooms lighting can then be controlled right in time with the main room.  We already have art-net based lighting solutions in those rooms using enttec ODE artnet to dmx nodes.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 06:42:13 PM »

I usually vote ETC, but I'm with Nathan on this one - wouldn't it make the most sense to stay within the Jands line of product?  I can't say much since I've never really had extensive experience with their offerings, but I would think that doing so would help to minimize how much you have to re-learn compared to when shifting to another platform all together.

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 08:17:08 PM »

I usually vote ETC, but I'm with Nathan on this one - wouldn't it make the most sense to stay within the Jands line of product?  I can't say much since I've never really had extensive experience with their offerings, but I would think that doing so would help to minimize how much you have to re-learn compared to when shifting to another platform all together.

The Stage CL isn't a very complicated console--I don't think we have much vendor lock-in due to training there.  I'd rather make sure that we get the right tool for the job that will grow with us.  I'll check out the larger Jands products and the ETC. 

Thank you,

Jeff

Kevin Brink

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 11:36:44 AM »

Not trying to hijack the thread, just didn't want to double up on everything. I am in about the same position as the OP, we run 10 Rayzor Q7's as the only movers and run an ETC Ion board, which I like, but doesn't allow for busking or on the fly movement very easy. Would all the boards mentioned be what I should look at as well. We are going to be adding more intelligent fixtures, and I want to be able to busk with the show, rather than have everything preprogrammed.

John Fruits

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 01:44:35 PM »

Kevin, have you explored ETC magic sheets.  For busking you can set up punt pages. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 03:46:36 PM »

Not trying to hijack the thread, just didn't want to double up on everything. I am in about the same position as the OP, we run 10 Rayzor Q7's as the only movers and run an ETC Ion board, which I like, but doesn't allow for busking or on the fly movement very easy. Would all the boards mentioned be what I should look at as well. We are going to be adding more intelligent fixtures, and I want to be able to busk with the show, rather than have everything preprogrammed.

The Ion/Eos platform can busk just fine if you set it up with that in mind (as John mentioned), but I prefer ETC's Cobalt platform for busking large shows.  Already being an ETC user this might feel more natural to you, though I'll state the major caveat that Cobalt and Eos are completely different setup and syntax.  Cobalt is immensely powerful for busking big rigs, but I wouldn't say it's terribly friendly to those with minimal to medium knowledge of programming light systems nor would I recommend it to a venue that relies on volunteer operators to run the system.  Also, you're going to want to do this with real hardware, be it a console or a pc with wing.  Your preference and mileage will vary, but short of just clicking preprogrammed macro triggers I've found it very difficult to busk with a pc-only solution and get good results.  Hope this helps!

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 09:56:02 PM »

We are original factory in China,our new brand is 330w beam stage light and 330w 3in1 head moving stage light,let's talk if you are interested.
Quintin

Quintin, please read the rules for this forum. You must use your real full name.

Also, as a manufacture, you cannot post about your products. You can only answer questions about your product.

Your post is about selling a product. That is against the rules.

You are welcome to stay, but heed the rules.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber