ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about Volvo FE613h  (Read 3049 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Question about Volvo FE613h
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 10:01:54 AM »

Weeeeeelllllllllllllllllllll.......thinking of getting a hatchback and either a diesel van or cabover...

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
I don't know what level of business you're at, but here are some of Cailen's 32,000 reasons to avoid owning from my perspective as a part time upper-lounge-level guy:

- It's absolutely a commercial vehicle and needs to be licensed as such
- Parking problems in many residential areas, either due to government or association restrictions or simple logistics
- vehicles that sit around need nearly as much maintenance as vehicles that are used frequently
- Totally different set of tools required to work on Diesel
- You'll still need to rent trucks when this one is in your or someone else's shop, which will be frequently
- It will be too big for smaller gigs or around-town running, so you'll still wish for something between your hypothetical hatch back and the big truck
- Who comes to rescue you when your truck dies 300 miles from home on a gig?  The national folks have networks that help with this.  AAA doesn't do commercial.
- 1990?  Seriously?
- 300,000 miles?  See above

I just purchased (condensing a SUV plus cargo van into just a nicer cargo van as my only vehicle) a Ford Transit 350 low roof short frame van and went through some of these questions.  My van fits in a 7' 0" clearance parking ramp, the Home Depot parking lot, the grocery store, and everywhere else.  It's licensed as a personal vehicle since it's under 10,000 GVW, but can pull a 7,000lb trailer.  I got the Eco Boost engine (same as I had in my previous Explorer) and it's a blast to drive and is extremely maneuverable considering its size.  A folding wheelchair ramp gets me loaded and unloaded anywhere.

I have some shows where I need a 24' truck, and I have others where a 16' is a significant advantage over a larger truck.  Renting allows me to get the truck I need when I need it.

How many miles do you put on per year?  If you are looking at a modern diesel, the pollution control systems and other monkey business add about $7,000 to the price and subtract from the fuel mileage advantage diesels have historically had.  Someone did the math on the Transit and the break-even point compared to the Eco Boost turbo V6 was over 300,000 miles.  That's a LONG time.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Question about Volvo FE613h
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 10:01:54 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.