Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Wireless and Communications

Ubiqity Bullet issues solved

(1/8) > >>

Keith Broughton:
Networking is not my thing and beyond a basic home network, I am out of my depth so it has been quite frustrating trying to get the 5 gig Ubuqity Bullet to work as I want.
 It should be able to be setup in such a way to be able to plug it in, set an IP on the device under control and JUST WORK....all the time...EVRY TIME!!
Before anyone offers the "well it was easy for me" or the "all you have to do is ...." I tried all the suggestions I could find with no reliable, repeatable success.
Finally, I set it up in bridge mode, gave it a static IP address and tried it on a variety of devices. All I need to do is set the device under control, and the control device, to the IP address within the group.
Now it connects reliably to my laptops and iPad and tested good for controlling the consoles, processors and wireless receivers I want.

As a side note, I tried to get the Ubiquity and my Apple Airport Express to work on the same variety of devices. Seems to me they should be able to be setup to do the same thing but the Express would not work on the Yamaha console.

Now I just need to try it out the Ubiquity on gigs 'cause you all know that the stuff that works in the shop can, magically, fail on a gig  ::)

William Schnake:
Keith, thanks for sharing your experience.  I have read quite a bit about the Ubiquiti access points on this Forum.  I have actually hired a local IT guy to come in and setup the network for us.  After reading other people's experiences and frustrations I figure it will be easier than me getting pissed off and calling him later.  Anyway, I do have a question, which is open to anyone, why the Ubiquiti Bullet rather than something else in their line?  Our shows are usually in the 1,000 - 3,000 person range although we do have a couple that are in the 10,000 person range.   My guys is suggesting two of the UAP-AC-M-PRO, one for FoH and one for Monitor World. 

Congrats on getting yours up and running.

Bill

David Sturzenbecher:

--- Quote from: Keith Broughton on March 12, 2017, 09:18:57 AM ---Networking is not my thing and beyond a basic home network, I am out of my depth so it has been quite frustrating trying to get the 5 gig Ubuqity Bullet to work as I want.
 It should be able to be setup in such a way to be able to plug it in, set an IP on the device under control and JUST WORK....all the time...EVRY TIME!!
Before anyone offers the "well it was easy for me" or the "all you have to do is ...." I tried all the suggestions I could find with no reliable, repeatable success.
Finally, I set it up in bridge mode, gave it a static IP address and tried it on a variety of devices. All I need to do is set the device under control, and the control device, to the IP address within the group.
Now it connects reliably to my laptops and iPad and tested good for controlling the consoles, processors and wireless receivers I want.

As a side note, I tried to get the Ubiquity and my Apple Airport Express to work on the same variety of devices. Seems to me they should be able to be setup to do the same thing but the Express would not work on the Yamaha console.

Now I just need to try it out the Ubiquity on gigs 'cause you all know that the stuff that works in the shop can, magically, fail on a gig  ::)

--- End quote ---

Keith,
I share your frustration.  I had a heck of a time getting my Bullet set up as well. Having to research which frequencies you can and can't use, was maybe my biggest hurdle.  Of course after the fact I found various setup guides around the internet that ended up being the same process I used to get mine going. 

One thing I wish, is that you could force the DHCP server in the thing to dole out IP's when in bridge mode.  I am sure our specific use case is limited, whereas there would normally be some other DHCP server on the network. I know the EnGenious stuff does allow for this with some crafty manual URL entries.

Keith Broughton:

--- Quote --- why the Ubiquiti Bullet rather than something else in their line?
--- End quote ---
The fact that you can connect whatever antenna you want and fits reasonably well in my briefcase.

--- Quote from: David Sturzenbecher on March 12, 2017, 11:33:33 AM ---

One thing I wish, is that you could force the DHCP server in the thing to dole out IP's when in bridge mode. 

--- End quote ---
Agreed! I don't see a way of doing this.
I forgot to mention I setup a group  of channel frequencies for it to use and had to set to a narrower channel.

So far...so good.

Bob Charest:

--- Quote from: Keith Broughton on March 12, 2017, 12:30:52 PM ---...and had to set to a narrower channel..

--- End quote ---

Keith, 20MHz instead of 40MHz, correct? Also disabled airMAX?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version