ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on JTRs new sub announcement???  (Read 13237 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Thoughts on JTRs new sub announcement???
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 11:24:01 AM »

Well, watt for watt. The average sensitivity is 102db vs 103db(OS) however the OS does have quite a bit more power handling (2000w rms vs 700w). Burst testing did show a 3db advantage over the Growler at 40hz (132db/1m vs 129db/1w).

Jeff,  I don't see the Captivator 212 Pro's on the web site.  Can you provide a link please?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Permanian

• JTR Speakers Inc.
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2017, 01:40:10 PM »

Jeff,  I don't see the Captivator 212 Pro's on the web site.  Can you provide a link please?

http://jtrspeakers.com/captivator-212pro.html

Jeff Permanian

• JTR Speakers Inc.
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2017, 01:41:56 PM »

Captivator 118pro- 100db/1m/1w, tuned to 19hz, 1000w continuous, 99lbs (passive), 104lbs (active). $1499 active price.

New Captivator 218pro that is more compact and lighter weight. 40"x20"x30"deep, 160lbs, 19hz tuned.

Pretty interesting.

Here is a little video that shows the excursion of the 18" driver in the Captivator 118 and 218:
https://youtu.be/LNh-O40mU3E

Jeff Permanian

• JTR Speakers Inc.
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 12:20:03 PM »

Captivator 212pro has been measured by Data-Bass:
http://data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=142

The CEA2010 measurements are 2 meter, rms so add +9db for 1 meter, peak.
The longterm measurements are 2 meter so add +6db.
The Captivator 212pro had a 6-8db advantage over the BC 21SW152 in the musical range (above 45hz).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:26:27 PM by Jeff Permanian »

Steve Crump

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2017, 01:07:10 PM »

The Captivator 212pro had a 6-8db advantage over the BC 21SW152 in the musical range (above 45hz).

I want to say the is not a review. I haven't been able to use the 212s as much as I would like to have at this point because of an ongoing house gig and the fact that I am just a weekend warrior. But, I will say I am really blown away with the performance and musicality (may or may not be the best word) of these little beast. But my second favorite part has been the form factor. I can easily stack four in one spot on my 12' "V" nose trailer leaving room for everything for sound, including 3 light stand/bars and still have a clear floor to walk into the trailer. At only 16" tall it gives me a lot of flexibility with setup. I can place them in the center front of the band in all kinds of scenarios. And the price is insanely inexpensive for the build quality. Just can't say enough good things. 

Peter Morris

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 01:52:22 AM »

Jeff its not really appropriate to compare these two boxes - the 21SW152 was in a sealed box, while the 212 was ported.

If you compare ported with ported then it looks like this -

Jeff Permanian

• JTR Speakers Inc.
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 10:26:48 AM »

Jeff its not really appropriate to compare these two boxes - the 21SW152 was in a sealed box, while the 212 was ported.

If you compare ported with ported then it looks like this -

That's odd that the topend is so different on the longterm test when the cea2010 is within about a db of each other.

Josh Ricci

• Data-Bass
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 12:30:28 PM »

That's odd that the topend is so different on the longterm test when the cea2010 is within about a db of each other.

The long term testing uses a 22sec long ascending sine sweep covering 2-240Hz (The signal stops at 240Hz in order to measure up to a 120Hz bandwidth). Yes the signal starts at 2Hz. In sealed cab driver tests there is no high pass filter used so they take full voltage below 30Hz. Active / powered systems are expected to have protections and filters built in by the MFG so this is also used as a way of verifying that the protections for frequencies below band are adequate. Higher order passive cabs such as vented, BP, TH, etc...Have an appropriate high pass filter put in place for protection.

The limit of the long term test is determined by the first limiting condition that is obviously met anywhere in the useful bandwidth of the cab. It could be limiters engaging, severe thermal compression in the driver, bad noises due to high excursion, amp clipping, etc. For sealed cabs this is often heavy driver excursion and resulting distortion below 25Hz, which is what occurred with the 21SW152-4. Meanwhile the vented cab with high pass filter and reduced driver excursion removes the main limitation of the sealed cab for this testing and allows more voltage to be applied before the vented driver runs out of excursion. It may even shift the limit of the test to one of heat buildup in the driver rather than excursion. This is why the results can often be quite different between a sealed cab and a vented cab using the same driver in this type of testing.

As far as the 212-Pro goes the main take away for me is that it is very light for a sub, small and easily handled by one guy. It doesn't need a huge amount of power and it also gets down to 40hz. It's truly a portable sub that still has balls. 4 of them and a single decent amplifier would do some damage while being light on the back and the AC consumption.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 12:39:09 PM by Josh Ricci »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 12:30:28 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.