ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on JTRs new sub announcement???  (Read 13340 times)

Jeff Permanian

• JTR Speakers Inc.
Re: Thoughts on JTRs new sub announcement???
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 03:18:38 PM »

That Captivator 212 looks like a cool little cabinet.

I had posted a question on the JTR facebook page regarding the Captivator 218, but I think it got overlooked. What amps are you recommending for the passive version?

More specifically, the Crown MT2400s that I already have kicking around seem like a good match, one amp per cabinet would give about 800W per driver, but I wonder what your thoughts are on this.

Spenser, I'm sorry I missed your question on Facebook.  The passive versions is dual 4 ohm. Amplifiers that can deliver 700-1000w at ohms 4 ohms per driver works well. Sounds like your MT2400 will be fine.

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 04:04:51 PM »

Spenser, I'm sorry I missed your question on Facebook.  The passive versions is dual 4 ohm. Amplifiers that can deliver 700-1000w at ohms 4 ohms per driver works well. Sounds like your MT2400 will be fine.

Hi Jeff,

I also had a question about the Captivator 218 that I posted in the Subwoofer Forum that I sent to you via email:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,162924.0.html
Everyone's waiting for your answer, of course  :)
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 12:46:45 PM »

Thanks Jeff!
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Jeff Permanian

• JTR Speakers Inc.
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 01:18:04 PM »

Hi Jeff,

I also had a question about the Captivator 218 that I posted in the Subwoofer Forum that I sent to you via email:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,162924.0.html
Everyone's waiting for your answer, of course  :)

Lance, I'm sorry I missed your thread. I replied.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 10:10:09 PM »

I had a chance to work with the new Captivator 212 Pros this weekend - we were hired to provide the FOH and monitor services for AXPONA 2017. Jeff from JTR provided the mains and monitors. I'm extremely impressed with the 212 Pros.

I posted this on another forum; copied/pasted here for reference.

"I had a chance to use the new Captivator 212 Pro subs this weekend - my company was hired to provide the live sound for the AXPONA event, and JTR provided the FOH and monitor speakers.

The venue wasn't huge by any means - it sat approximately 250 people, in a theater-style arrangement (stage was lower than the back row of seating). The stage measured approximately 40 feet wide, and the back of the theater was easily 100-120 feet wide. Distance from the edge of the stage to the back of the theater was approximately 120-150 feet. Ceilings were *high* - I'm guessing 30-feet or so. Picture your typical auditorium that would be used for a college class.

When we arrived, Jeff from JTR had set-up 3 of his Captivator 212 Pros and a 2 of his Noesis 3TX mains. The 212 Pros were the powered version, and we had all three sharing a single 20-amp circuit (along with all of our lighting (16 LED PARs) and backline). We ran the two Noesis from a QSC PL380, in stereo.

After a quick baseline EQ/calibration sweep, we fired-up some familiar evaluation music. Snarky Puppy, Boz Scaggs, Morphine, and so on. The output from those dual 12s was beyond impressive. Their output from 50-ish Hz to the HPF (we cut them at 100Hz) rivaled our Orbit Shifters. We pushed them to full tilt and they never even broke into a sweat.

It quickly became apparent that three of the 212 Pros would be too much bass for the venue, so we removed one and ran the rest of the weekend on two of the 212 Pros. The weekend's live sound events featured a four-piece jazz band with an upright bass on one night and a 9-piece blues band with a monster bass rig and baritone saxes. The kick drum on both nights hit hard - that nice and controlled punchy boom, and the bass rigs went as low as we hoped while playing clean and accurately.

I have several Orbit Shifters, and I love them, but I told Jeff several times during the weekend that I needed to purchase a pair of these little terrors. Jeff said that they'll compete with the OS in the 60+ Hz range, and I believe it. The fact that they weigh in at just 70-pounds and truck pack nicely is an added bonus.

Are these great for EDM? Probably not, but that's where the Captivator 218 Pro comes in, I suppose. But if you're running sound for bands or playing a non-EDM-focused DJ gig, these things are worth a look. I've run on QSC KW181s and EV ETX 18s, and based on my experience with the 212 Pros this weekend, I'd take the 212 Pros every time. Don't get me wrong - I'll never give up my Orbit Shifters because they are beasts, but the 212 Pros aren't to be taken lightly. They appear to be some serious subs."

The room was rather tricky - the seating was extremely close to the stage, and we weren't allowed to fly anything, nor were we allowed to place anything in front of the stage. This made for tricky lighting, and I'm not at all happy with how the lighting worked out, but it is what it is. Making matters more challenging, we were only provided with 1.5 hours of turnaround time from the end of the daily seminars until the beginning of the shows. That included set-up, line check, and sound check... nothing was allowed to be on stage during the day, so we had to basically set-up fresh each night - instruments, backline, monitors, etc. Fun times. :)

The small nature of the room also made for a devil of a time with stage volume, especially on Saturday night with the 9-piece blues band. But, we made it work as best we could. The room had a bit of a natural bump in the 80Hz range, so I was running a notch at 80Hz of -3dB. We also ran a -2dB high shelf filter from 10k on.

Got to meet a bunch of super cool people at the event (and after), and for that I'm extremely grateful. I had a blast at the event and really enjoyed working with the two bands - both were incredible and really great to work with.

Anywho... back to the 212 Pros - they are animals. Truly impressive. Can't wait to see and use the final versions of these things, and to hear about experiences and thoughts from others!

Mark Amber

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 01:34:33 AM »

I had a chance to work with the new Captivator 212 Pros this weekend - we were hired to provide the FOH and monitor services for AXPONA 2017. Jeff from JTR provided the mains and monitors. I'm extremely impressed with the 212 Pros.

I posted this on another forum; copied/pasted here for reference.

"I had a chance to use the new Captivator 212 Pro subs this weekend - my company was hired to provide the live sound for the AXPONA event, and JTR provided the FOH and monitor speakers.

The venue wasn't huge by any means - it sat approximately 250 people, in a theater-style arrangement (stage was lower than the back row of seating). The stage measured approximately 40 feet wide, and the back of the theater was easily 100-120 feet wide. Distance from the edge of the stage to the back of the theater was approximately 120-150 feet. Ceilings were *high* - I'm guessing 30-feet or so. Picture your typical auditorium that would be used for a college class.

When we arrived, Jeff from JTR had set-up 3 of his Captivator 212 Pros and a 2 of his Noesis 3TX mains. The 212 Pros were the powered version, and we had all three sharing a single 20-amp circuit (along with all of our lighting (16 LED PARs) and backline). We ran the two Noesis from a QSC PL380, in stereo.

After a quick baseline EQ/calibration sweep, we fired-up some familiar evaluation music. Snarky Puppy, Boz Scaggs, Morphine, and so on. The output from those dual 12s was beyond impressive. Their output from 50-ish Hz to the HPF (we cut them at 100Hz) rivaled our Orbit Shifters. We pushed them to full tilt and they never even broke into a sweat.

It quickly became apparent that three of the 212 Pros would be too much bass for the venue, so we removed one and ran the rest of the weekend on two of the 212 Pros. The weekend's live sound events featured a four-piece jazz band with an upright bass on one night and a 9-piece blues band with a monster bass rig and baritone saxes. The kick drum on both nights hit hard - that nice and controlled punchy boom, and the bass rigs went as low as we hoped while playing clean and accurately.

I have several Orbit Shifters, and I love them, but I told Jeff several times during the weekend that I needed to purchase a pair of these little terrors. Jeff said that they'll compete with the OS in the 60+ Hz range, and I believe it. The fact that they weigh in at just 70-pounds and truck pack nicely is an added bonus.

Are these great for EDM? Probably not, but that's where the Captivator 218 Pro comes in, I suppose. But if you're running sound for bands or playing a non-EDM-focused DJ gig, these things are worth a look. I've run on QSC KW181s and EV ETX 18s, and based on my experience with the 212 Pros this weekend, I'd take the 212 Pros every time. Don't get me wrong - I'll never give up my Orbit Shifters because they are beasts, but the 212 Pros aren't to be taken lightly. They appear to be some serious subs."

The room was rather tricky - the seating was extremely close to the stage, and we weren't allowed to fly anything, nor were we allowed to place anything in front of the stage. This made for tricky lighting, and I'm not at all happy with how the lighting worked out, but it is what it is. Making matters more challenging, we were only provided with 1.5 hours of turnaround time from the end of the daily seminars until the beginning of the shows. That included set-up, line check, and sound check... nothing was allowed to be on stage during the day, so we had to basically set-up fresh each night - instruments, backline, monitors, etc. Fun times. :)

The small nature of the room also made for a devil of a time with stage volume, especially on Saturday night with the 9-piece blues band. But, we made it work as best we could. The room had a bit of a natural bump in the 80Hz range, so I was running a notch at 80Hz of -3dB. We also ran a -2dB high shelf filter from 10k on.

Got to meet a bunch of super cool people at the event (and after), and for that I'm extremely grateful. I had a blast at the event and really enjoyed working with the two bands - both were incredible and really great to work with.

Anywho... back to the 212 Pros - they are animals. Truly impressive. Can't wait to see and use the final versions of these things, and to hear about experiences and thoughts from others!

Didn't really understand why you struck a sub you didn't need until I read you had to recreate the setup each day.

Eww.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 08:14:53 AM »

Steve,

Sorry we didn't get to meet over the weekend, but I had a 30th anniversary to celebrate.  I came down Friday and Saturday early in the day to visit Jeff and check out the demo room and the performance venue.  I too am very impressed with the 212.

And FWIW, the music just wasn't some "jazz" or "blues" on the two nights.  Friday featured Frank Catalano and his band, and Saturday featured Ronnie Baker Brooks, Mud Morganfield, and Billy Branch.  All "A" listers in my book.

Jeff tweaked one of his 8" monitors for Billy, who needs a loud wedge to keep up with his harp rig-stay tuned, I won't be surprised if a new product turns up.

I was going to borrow the rig, but Jeff sold it all at the show...

Best regards,

John

Jeff Permanian

• JTR Speakers Inc.
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 10:05:24 AM »

Steve,

Sorry we didn't get to meet over the weekend, but I had a 30th anniversary to celebrate.  I came down Friday and Saturday early in the day to visit Jeff and check out the demo room and the performance venue.  I too am very impressed with the 212.

And FWIW, the music just wasn't some "jazz" or "blues" on the two nights.  Friday featured Frank Catalano and his band, and Saturday featured Ronnie Baker Brooks, Mud Morganfield, and Billy Branch.  All "A" listers in my book.

Jeff tweaked one of his 8" monitors for Billy, who needs a loud wedge to keep up with his harp rig-stay tuned, I won't be surprised if a new product turns up.

Best regards,

John

Hope you had a nice, non-working weekend. Sound guys don't get weekends off very often.

The bands were great and easy to work with.

The monitor was the new Noesis 2AX which has two 10" woofers, 100db/1w, and handles 2kw program.

Jeff Permanian

• JTR Speakers Inc.
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 10:13:05 AM »

Well, watt for watt. The average sensitivity is 102db vs 103db(OS) however the OS does have quite a bit more power handling (2000w rms vs 700w). Burst testing did show a 3db advantage over the Growler at 40hz (132db/1m vs 129db/1w).

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 10:51:34 AM »

Steve,

Best regards,

John

Totally agree - the bands were nothing short of incredible. I was honored to work with them and really enjoyed the entire experience. That 2AX wedge that Jeff put together is a beast as well. I'm lobbying for him to build more... :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 10:51:34 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.