ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley SM80F  (Read 33044 times)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: Danley SM80F
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 05:06:43 AM »

The horn is really cleaver.  Tom did a good job with it.

It is basically (not counting braces etc) a single piece of wood for each driver.

The total path is greater than 9', for each driver.

It is absolutely  a tapped horn-the same as the other tapped horns.

I'm going to take a guess that the TH section is in an L-shape, and goes up behind the 12" co-ax back enclosure.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 08:37:09 AM »

The total path is greater than 9', for each driver.

If the low end travels 9' prior to exit, does that means the HF needs to be delayed 8ms for it to all align properly?  If so, does that need to be done in DSP?
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 12:21:38 PM »

If the low end travels 9' prior to exit, does that means the HF needs to be delayed 8ms for it to all align properly?  If so, does that need to be done in DSP?
This is a good example of "it depends".

First-the actual horn length is not always the delay time needed.

The actual time will depend on the particular high and low pass filters used in the crossover.

Second, the Tapped horn does not "behave" as a regular horn-especially where delay time is concerned.

Remember there is a lot of radiation off of the rear of the driver.

In this case, the actual delay time used in the Danley preset is 2.8ms on the mid/high section.

Not nearly as long as "the simple number" would suggest.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 12:26:49 PM »

Hey, Ivan!!!

Does the "F" stand for "fractal"???
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 12:35:04 PM »

Hey, Ivan!!!

Does the "F" stand for "fractal"???
Actually it is for "Full range".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 12:59:48 PM »

Ivan, I noticed the curved front.  Is that the new design aesthetics (possibly weight saving), or is it to prevent some sort of diffraction?  I don't recall any other Danley boxes with a curved front.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2017, 01:59:59 PM »

Ivan, I noticed the curved front.  Is that the new design aesthetics (possibly weight saving), or is it to prevent some sort of diffraction?  I don't recall any other Danley boxes with a curved front.

John R.

The existing SM80 has a bit of a curved front.  With such a large grille it makes it much easier to prevent rattling by putting a bend into it.

It would be really interesting to see the horn path on that thing.  Got to be some seriously clever woodworking going on.

Rick Powell

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2017, 05:21:29 PM »

It would be really interesting to see the horn path on that thing.  Got to be some seriously clever woodworking going on.

The trail at diyaudio.com/subwoofer is littered with clever (and not so clever) tapped horn path designs! As long as there is a consistent horn expansion along the way, and not too much driver stress at the throat, there are a lot of neat things you can do...if you know what you're doing.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 05:23:52 PM by Rick Powell »

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2017, 06:16:06 PM »

The trail at diyaudio.com/subwoofer is littered with clever (and not so clever) tapped horn path designs! As long as there is a consistent horn expansion along the way, and not too much driver stress at the throat, there are a lot of neat things you can do...if you know what you're doing.
Yes, I've followed those.  Including the "smells like" a popular box here.  I have four modded Cubos and have built many cabinets of various types.  Creating an even expansion while negotiating up and over corners and multiple direction changes is no mean feet.  As Mike said, Tom was especially clever here.  Somehow.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2017, 07:31:38 AM »

Here's how I think it goes...

Set off with the boards you can see for each driver, on the inside. It goes all the way to the back of the cab, and then up the back heading towards the centre-line, which gives you some expansion along the way. 180 degree turn at the top of the cab, and back down the other side. Further expansion as it goes, and then 90 degree turn to where you can see the driver magnets, and then out into the world.
There's probably some additional voodoo in there (Helmholtz resonators etc) to get a smooth top-end response.

I like this design. The nearly-opposed firing drivers should stop the cabinet walking around much, and the air flow should keep the drivers nice and cool.

I don't know enough about the alignment, but I'd consider crossing at 65Hz or so to a stack of subs, and treating the 2x15" in there as a kick section.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2017, 07:31:38 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.