ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antenna Length  (Read 3416 times)

Curt Sorensen

Antenna Length
« on: March 08, 2017, 06:00:03 PM »

Apologies if this is not relevant to PSW folks, lock it if so. I’m trying to maintain some Sennheiser ENG wireless systems in the A range. The kits use SK3063 belt-pack transmitters [A=450-626, although the sixteen pre-programmed frequencies are between 500-530]; and more agile EK3241 belt-pack receivers [A=450-626]. There are currently a number of different length antennas in each kit, which can’t be right.

I have an ‘antenna length chart’ for the EK3241 that says to use a 135mm length. I have an SK3063 Service Manual with a formula that gives a result in centimeters after dividing 7500 by the frequency. It doesn’t make clear how to accommodate a range of frequencies, however. Using 450 gives 167mm; 550mm gives 136mm. These results lead me to believe 135mm may be correct.

Sennheiser support says to use the 200mm 542181 antenna [which is actually 220mm], but doesn’t mention trimming it to a shorter length. The formula then suggests a [200mm or] 20cm antenna is optimal for 375MHz. Retailers of the 542181 all state to include the frequency range to receive the proper length. Support also states that the SK3063 and EK3241 use the same length.

So I’d love to know what length is optimal for these systems, and I’m curious how much difference the various lengths we currently have even matter. And [or?] finally is there somewhere I can learn more about this for myself without having to wade through in-depth RF theory that’s way over my head?

Thanks for any input as well as all the activity on this forum,
Curt Sorensen
Madison, Wisconsin

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: Antenna Length
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 10:00:22 PM »

So I’d love to know what length is optimal for these systems, and I’m curious how much difference the various lengths we currently have even matter.

Cut the radiator length for the center frequency of the transmitter's tuning range. The typical 1/4 wave antenna at UHF frequencies with a .1" (2.54mm) element diameter (excluding the insulation or cladding) will provide about 50-60MHz 3dB (1/2 power) bandwidth.

And [or?] finally is there somewhere I can learn more about this for myself without having to wade through in-depth RF theory that’s way over my head?

See the brand new sticky "Learning Resources" (Thanks to Diogo).
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 10:35:26 PM »

I've come across adjustable antennas in the past that could be hand tuned to the specific frequency of they system they were bein used on.  I never used them, they were more of a curiosity to me.  I've got great respect for the guys who really understand all the wireless stuff.  I'm thankful that the out-of-the-box antennas have always worked for me.  I also haven't ever done more than probably 20 channels.

Curt Sorensen

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 11:30:57 PM »

Hi,
Henry thanks so much for your clear and concise response. Your contributions [and many others'] have made many of the assigned events I've done recently go very well, while elevating my confidence in even attempting them. Diogo's links appeared about the same time as my post, and I've dug into them already.

What an amazing resource this forum and it's contributors are.
Curt Sorensen
Madison, Wisconsin

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 01:04:52 AM »

Hi,
Henry thanks so much for your clear and concise response. Your contributions [and many others'] have made many of the assigned events I've done recently go very well, while elevating my confidence in even attempting them. Diogo's links appeared about the same time as my post, and I've dug into them already.

Testify.

I make my living doing this stuff.  But this resource enhances my bottom line in ways I often can't predict....

Go PSW
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Diogo Nunes Pereira

• Barcelona, sometimes...
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 06:59:23 AM »

Testify.

I make my living doing this stuff.  But this resource enhances my bottom line in ways I often can't predict....

Go PSW

Agree! This forum enhances job karma... D

Diogo Nunes Pereira
[email protected]
--------------------------
"I envy not those who own charriots, horses or land. I envy only those who drink water from every fountain." - Popular Song from Portugal

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 06:59:23 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.