ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Distro Questions, amp rack tie in  (Read 15284 times)

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
Re: Distro Questions, amp rack tie in
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2017, 06:16:44 PM »

Update:
I received a PM from a labster in my area who had a Peavey rack mount distro he was willing to sell for a good price!  Thanks again for everyone's help! 

I now have more than enough power right in the rack where I need it, and I've left the panel connector in place in case I'm doing a gig where 240v isn't an option.

I'm just a little weary from a few of the comments on here that seem to be conflicting, but perhaps the specific terminology is being missed by my undereducated brain.

Actually, it is not acceptable to use a 20 A receptacle on a 15 A circuit.  NEC 2014 table 210.21(B)(3).  20 amp plugs are installed on loads that could potentially overload a 15 amp circuit before the breaker trips.

To be clear, would a cable with nema5-15P on one end, and a locking 30A 120v (L5-30R) connector on the other end be acceptable in most AHJ's eyes?  Since it's nema5-15P on one end, would 12ga be acceptable?

This would be solely for a convenient way to plug in my amp rack contents with a single plug (all of which are nema5-15p or nema5-20p) if I don't have somewhere to patch the distro.  Behind the panel are two quad-boxes of standard Edison receptacles.

Here are some pictures, don't mind the cable mess, it'll look neater when I'm done:
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2017, 05:07:51 PM »

The Terrapin is for outdoor use on the ground, that's why it has legs.

So I'd like to buy a pair of these but can't seem to find the callout for the exact type of CS input they have.  Is it the kind that accepts the CS Style CS6364?  Thanks!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2017, 06:11:54 PM »

So I'd like to buy a pair of these but can't seem to find the callout for the exact type of CS input they have.  Is it the kind that accepts the CS Style CS6364?  Thanks!

You'd have to inquire of LEX Products for a certain answer as the data sheet and user manual do not specify.

However... on the web page it shows accessories that include a 50 amp-rated cable assembly that does, indeed, use CS6364 and CS6365 connectors.

A similar "lunch box" or "pagoda" distro is built by INDU Electric and perhaps a few others.  Custom connector selection (CS) may have an up-charge, but I think you'll want to get prices from more than 1 brand...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2017, 06:34:38 PM »

You'd have to inquire of LEX Products for a certain answer as the data sheet and user manual do not specify.

However... on the web page it shows accessories that include a 50 amp-rated cable assembly that does, indeed, use CS6364 and CS6365 connectors.

A similar "lunch box" or "pagoda" distro is built by INDU Electric and perhaps a few others.  Custom connector selection (CS) may have an up-charge, but I think you'll want to get prices from more than 1 brand...

Thanks Tim.  I know none of these distros are cheap and I want to get this right the first time!  Do you normally buy right from the manufacturer?  Lex seems to point you to distributors and INDU looks like they'll sell directly to end users, though I can't seem to find their Lex Terrapin equivalent - the last entry in the ARMOR-TECH SERIES looks close though.  I definitely need something that's suitable for outdoor use.   

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2017, 07:28:47 PM »

Thanks Tim.  I know none of these distros are cheap and I want to get this right the first time!  Do you normally buy right from the manufacturer?  Lex seems to point you to distributors and INDU looks like they'll sell directly to end users, though I can't seem to find their Lex Terrapin equivalent - the last entry in the ARMOR-TECH SERIES looks close though.  I definitely need something that's suitable for outdoor use.

Motion Labs "Hibachi" line is very similar to the LEX unit.  I'm certain I've seen one from another manufacturer but can't think of who that is...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2017, 07:34:51 PM »

Motion Labs "Hibachi" line is very similar to the LEX unit.  I'm certain I've seen one from another manufacturer but can't think of who that is...

Thanks again.  I'll definitely take a look!

John Fruits

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2017, 09:39:08 PM »

Another company to take a look at:
http://acpowerdistribution.com/
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2017, 11:31:37 PM »

Motion Labs "Hibachi" line is very similar to the LEX unit.

"Hibachi" is a curious choice of name for a piece of power distribution equipment that, in general, is expected to get no more than slightly warm to the touch during operation. :) -F
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2017, 02:07:00 PM »

To be clear, would a cable with nema5-15P on one end, and a locking 30A 120v (L5-30R) connector on the other end be acceptable in most AHJ's eyes?  Since it's nema5-15P on [/font]one end, would 12ga be acceptable?[/size]

This would be solely for a convenient way to plug in my amp rack contents with a single plug (all of which are nema5-15p or nema5-20p) if I don't have somewhere to patch the distro.  Behind the panel are two quad-boxes of standard Edison receptacles.

I don't think there's any complaint with a 5-15P to L5-30R cable made from 12 ga. cable, since it can't be plugged into anything more than a 20A circuit.  The trouble is at the rack end.  It would be possible to connect a 30A feed to that inlet flange (L5-30P), and you don't have anything to limit the current at the duplexes inside to 15 or 20A.  I know that sound companies have done this for years, but it doesn't make it right.

I have heard that it is allowable to use twist-locs for non-specific applications (speakers, motor control), if there is little chance of them being mixed up with the real thing, although I can't quote chapter and verse from the CEC for that.  It would be better to not give the electrical inspector something easy to trip you up on if you can avoid it.  Vancouver was where the CBC found out that none of their feeder cable was allowed (at Expo 86) because it didn't have "SC" markings on it.  It didn't matter that the stuff had been used successfully for years.

GTD

Steve Crump

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2017, 02:50:37 PM »

I don't think there's any complaint with a 5-15P to L5-30R cable made from 12 ga. cable, since it can't be plugged into anything more than a 20A circuit.  The trouble is at the rack end.  It would be possible to connect a 30A feed to that inlet flange (L5-30P), and you don't have anything to limit the current at the duplexes inside to 15 or 20A.  I know that sound companies have done this for years, but it doesn't make it right.

GTD

Doesn't the distro have fuses or breakers protecting each receptacle on the distro?

Steve

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2017, 02:50:37 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.