ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 6 Wireless Mics  (Read 2773 times)

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
6 Wireless Mics
« on: March 07, 2017, 04:55:54 pm »

I have been given the go-ahead to purchase 6 new wireless mics for our church.  We have a very lively church.  Our singers move around the stage, and sing with power, etc.  I'm just trying to give you an idea of the application these mics will be used in.

Anyways, I've always purchased the wireless mics separately.  We've only ever had two at my church, but now we are starting to want to eliminate all the cable on stage so they want ALL wireless mics.  Anyways, since I'm buying 6, I feel like I need to make sure the mics can all be used together.  I don't really know what I'm trying to say, but here's my question:

1. What should I be looking for in a wireless mic in terms of using 6 (8 in total) together?
2. What are some of the better wireless mics on the market.  We currently use an SM58 and a PG58.  We have the budget to get some decent mics.

Thank you

Erik Jerde

Re: 6 Wireless Mics
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 05:11:02 pm »

I have been given the go-ahead to purchase 6 new wireless mics for our church.  We have a very lively church.  Our singers move around the stage, and sing with power, etc.  I'm just trying to give you an idea of the application these mics will be used in.

Anyways, I've always purchased the wireless mics separately.  We've only ever had two at my church, but now we are starting to want to eliminate all the cable on stage so they want ALL wireless mics.  Anyways, since I'm buying 6, I feel like I need to make sure the mics can all be used together.  I don't really know what I'm trying to say, but here's my question:

1. What should I be looking for in a wireless mic in terms of using 6 (8 in total) together?
2. What are some of the better wireless mics on the market.  We currently use an SM58 and a PG58.  We have the budget to get some decent mics.

Thank you

Whats the model(s) of your existing wireless? 
What frequency are they at?
When you say you have budget for decent mics what is your budget per channel?

8 channels of wireless can work just fine together if you're in the right location and if you do a proper frequency scan and coordination.  You should use an antenna combiner setup so you have just two antennas for your entire setup instead of a bunch of 1/4 wave antennas hanging off the back.  You'll get better results.  Wireless frequency coordination is a lot like a channel EQ.  You can't just set it and forget it.  Various interference sources can come and go which requires the skills & equipment to re-scan and re-coodinate.  Your location has a lot to do with how complicated your RF environment is. 

If all this is new to you then you may be best served by connecting with a trusted local vendor who can help you get the right equipment for your budget that will serve you well in the long run.  Remember, buy once cry once and the wrong tool for the right price is still the wrong tool.  Those aren't just good guidelines but when you're working with donated funds it's also your responsibility to your congregants.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 05:54:09 pm »

We have the budget to get some decent mics.

Wireless mic kits can range from a couple hundred bucks to a few thousand. We really need to know what the number in your budget is.

Many people feel that among the best value for the money is the Sennheiser ew 1xx G3 series. Those will cost roughly $600-800 new per channel. There are of course better ones at greater price, and lesser ones at lower price that may be adequate for your application.

Remember that sound quality isn't the only consideration. There are lesser-priced models that use the same capsules so should have the same sound; what you would sacrifice might be frequency selection, diversity, manageability, durability, usability etc. -- all the stuff that has little to do with the sound but still costs something to get right.

You say your current kits are SM58 and PG58 -- that's only the capsules on the ends of the transmitters. The model numbers of the wireless transmitters and receivers will be helpful to know.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 05:56:22 pm by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 07:00:18 pm »

For HOW, I personally like the Shure BLX or SLX systems-dpending on channel count and budget.

With that mic count, a vendor might try to steer you to the GLX series or another manufacturers 2.4G system.  I would strongly advise avoiding anything running on 2.4 G (WiFi) channels-just too many potential conflicts-and its only going to get worse.  We have some quality mics that run on 2.4G and most of the time they work great-but I would prefer something that is great all of the time.
Steve Swaffer

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 08:54:14 pm »

For HOW, I personally like the Shure BLX or SLX systems-dpending on channel count and budget.

With that mic count, a vendor might try to steer you to the GLX series or another manufacturers 2.4G system.  I would strongly advise avoiding anything running on 2.4 G (WiFi) channels-just too many potential conflicts-and its only going to get worse.  We have some quality mics that run on 2.4G and most of the time they work great-but I would prefer something that is great all of the time.

The two things I do not like about the Shure BLX:
1) Capsule is not removable/replaceable. 
2) No provision for external antenna/antenna distribution system.  If there is an AV cabinet in an equipment room somewhere, forget it.

I would avoid GLX with a 6 mic system.

IMO if going Shure and there is reasonable budget, go for a QLXD or ULXD.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Erik Jerde

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 09:11:32 pm »

John R.

Agreed.  I'm a big fan of the ULXDQ4 receiver.  Space efficient, no antenna combiner needed, dante.  The labor savings can easily cover the additional cost.  Plus with either of these offerings you get a network port so you can scan RF from inside WWB.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 09:31:51 pm »

The two things I do not like about the Shure BLX:
1) Capsule is not removable/replaceable. 
2) No provision for external antenna/antenna distribution system. If there is an AV cabinet in an equipment room somewhere, forget it.

I would avoid GLX with a 6 mic system.

John R.
Actually the BLX4R units are rack mountable with removable antenna.

Someone else mentioned Shure SLX; yeah, those are on their way out the door, BUT there's an instant rebate this month of $50 off SLX systems. So, that might make those a viable option. Again, depends on what the OP's budget is.

Love the Q/ULXD. :D

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Thomas Le

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 09:41:03 pm »

The only Shure analog gear worth purchasing is UHF-R if you have the coin, everything else is considered cheap toys since they are bested by the Sennheiser EW series. I personally use the EW135 G3 and it works great for my small mobile applications. 6 of the EW135's will run you $3600 on sweetwater, not including rack hardware and antenna distro. Another consideration is the 4x EW135 package for the same price that includes rack hardware, distro, case, cables and drawer to store the mics.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EW135HH

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 10:42:06 pm »

The only Shure analog gear worth purchasing is UHF-R if you have the coin, everything else is considered cheap toys

I would rather have ULXD, but on the analog side there is still a step up from UHF-R, Axient. Very soon there will be a digital mic based on Axient.

Mac

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 10:58:15 pm »

We should also point out that there are quite a few dealers on here for this gear (myself included) so if the OP wants a good deal, there are other options than sending him to Sweetwater.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 17 queries.