ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Research Survey  (Read 2222 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Research Survey
« on: March 17, 2017, 06:41:44 PM »

I've been invited to take a survey for a doctoral candidate at the University where I teach. I might need help deciphering it. See below....

“The influence of paradigm development in academic disciplines on technology literacy,”

The purpose of this research study is to examine differences between academic discipline groups of varying paradigm development to see if these variables significantly influence technology literacy. Exploring how interactions between group epistemological paradigms and academic disciplines influence technology literacy may provide insight for finding ways to improve technical training and encourage technology literacy among faculty.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Research Survey
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 07:43:52 PM »

Easy.

You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.....

Do as I say, not as I do......

If you first don't succeed, try, try again....

If you did it wrong the first three times, you probably still haven't read the manual.....

I think it will be a cool study, but it will be difficult to acquire empirical evidence to support the findings and implement them. Once a subject is given a task with specificity, they will learn a way to change the way they will repeat the task. Giving a subject two ways to do the same task now gives them 4 ways to alternatively repeat that task. Trying to unlearn something is tough. Trying to find a paradigm in how to unify a group of people is going to be the rub. It's the equivalent of putting the carriage before the horse. Except that everyone already knows that the horse goes in front. Then there is how to connect that horse....... The technology isn't the problem, its the language used in explaining how to utilize it. There are five ways to do the same thing. 1 is 100% correct, one is just as good, and the other three simply get the job done.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

John Fruits

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 08:04:01 PM »

You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.....
Or, as they say in the landscaping trade.....
"You can bring a horticulture, but you can't make her think."
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 08:23:22 PM »

I've been invited to take a survey for a doctoral candidate at the University where I teach. I might need help deciphering it. See below....

“The influence of paradigm development in academic disciplines on technology literacy,”
Mike,
I named my "Art Charter" Bristol 35.5 "Paradigm Shift" back in 1991, so am properly mentally equipped  to help you decipher the influences, though most of those seem to involve alcohol or drugs when developed with the proper discipline ;^).

Art

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 11:33:17 PM »

....... and encourage technology literacy among faculty.

I don't have the teaching experience that you do-but I have always found that a key component of someone truly learning any discipline is the desire to learn.  I would hope that faculty, of all people, would have an inate appetite to learn and continue learning throughout life.  Technology is interwoven in every aspect of modern life-educators ought to be hungry to learn about it without outside encouragment-but I guess the candidate needs to study something....
Steve Swaffer

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 11:54:42 PM »

I don't have the teaching experience that you do-but I have always found that a key component of someone truly learning any discipline is the desire to learn.  I would hope that faculty, of all people, would have an inate appetite to learn and continue learning throughout life.  Technology is interwoven in every aspect of modern life-educators ought to be hungry to learn about it without outside encouragment-but I guess the candidate needs to study something....

Same here on the academic background.  I hope you make a breakthrough however it seems to me that the academic community thinks they can marginalize the human element.  Some humans don't have the required uniqueness to do certain things.  I could take a thousand art classes but I have no aptitude for it and will still suck.  I may be technically proficient but there will be no expression or uniqueness to my work.

Ditto in technology, medicine I am sure the trades see this phenomenon.  The great programmers/surgeons/sound engineers/cabinet makers/plumbers/pipe fitters have an instinctual ability to ply their skills that I have never seen been able to be abstract from an individual and marginalized to a group.

So what we have are complex social structures.  The internship and residency process being a formal example.  Basically they are all designed to push a human to their limits, grade their performance and put them where they need to be.  You only need a few guys on the transplant team and we only need a few great mixing engineers but we need thousands of workers to do other tasks so these aren't bad processes. They do lack political correctness as they all recognize individual achievement.   

So is your goal to teach the information to a wider audience or to better convey the information? 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 07:28:56 PM »

The purpose of this research study is to examine differences between academic discipline groups of varying paradigm development to see if these variables significantly influence technology literacy. Exploring how interactions between group epistemological paradigms and academic disciplines influence technology literacy may provide insight for finding ways to improve technical training and encourage technology literacy among faculty.

The purpose paragraph is convoluted.  My interpretation is the candidate is evaluating different instructional models/methodologies across a number of academic disciplines/areas to 1) evidence what influence, if any, the models (paradigms) have on the technology literacy of faculty, and 2) evaluate if the influence of a particular paradigm is variable based on academic discipline (i.e., what may work in one discipline may not be effective in another).  It's a bit speculative without asking for clarification from the doctoral candidate.

While I'm not privy to more info, my initial thought is the study is too broad in scope, especially given some of the intended outcomes.  I have many questions I want to ask, but it's probably not helpful at this point.   ;D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 07:28:56 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.