ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Retrofit / Install A Recessed Spring Handle Into Flight / Road Case  (Read 4133 times)

Ken Nelson

Searched around, did not find topics on this. Put some additional keywords into the title so someone else can hopefully learn from our discussion.

I won a nice condition used guitar ATA type case really inexpensively on eBay the other day. It has recessed butterfly latches, but the briefcase-style protruding handle. Since all of my other cases have recessed hardware, and I do tend to stand/pack stuff, I'd like to remove that handle and install a recessed flip handle such as....

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/EWI_CASE_HARDWARE/FLIP_HANDLE/EWI_Flip_Handle_cutsheet.shtml

What is the short and sweet procedure for installing these? Remove old handle, router out the install position and rivet in? It's a 1/4" construction case with PVC laminate BTW.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Retrofit / Install A Recessed Spring Handle Into Flight / Road Case
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 03:01:19 PM »

Depending on the size and weight of the case, I would router out the hole, and likely also make a re-inforcing plate to mount on the inside. If a loaded case weighs more than a few pounds, I would not rely on the laminated plywood to hold everything together.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 05:55:03 PM »

There's no need to route anything. The handles should come with a pattern, but if they do not measure the cup and add 1/4". Attach the pattern or draw your lines. Drill a hole where the handle will go large enough for a saber saw blade. Use a saber saw, cut the hole, put in the handle, drill for the screws or rivets, put in the screws or rivets, and you're done. 20 minutes per handle if you're slow. Just use a fine tooth blade on the saw.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ken Nelson

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 12:13:32 AM »

Thanks Bob, thought it was basically that simple, just wanted to make sure I didn't n00b something that sees the kind of abuse road cases see. :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 12:13:32 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.