ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Radio Shack closing  (Read 2631 times)

Mike Monte

• My website
Another Radio Shack closing
« on: February 23, 2017, 08:33:20 PM »

I took my wife for a ride to Newport, RI today...60 degrees...gotta take advantage of such a warm temperature in February.
Driving down a main thoroughfare I noticed a Radio Shack with a "40% off everything" sign on the window.

Of course, I stopped...

The store was pretty well stocked.  The manager told me that the 40% off sign went up earlier this week..  I asked him if that particular store was going to close and he said that he hadn't heard that it would...

I know of two closed Radio Shacks in my area that started the process with a 40% off sale.

I went to the "adapter wall" and picked up a few odds/ends (mostly adapters that I only have "one of"). 

It looks like down the road everything will have to be mail-ordered.....a sign of the times, I guess.

David Allred

Re: Another Radio Shack closing
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 07:13:52 AM »

I took my wife for a ride to Newport, RI today...60 degrees...gotta take advantage of such a warm temperature in February.
Driving down a main thoroughfare I noticed a Radio Shack with a "40% off everything" sign on the window.

Of course, I stopped...

The store was pretty well stocked.  The manager told me that the 40% off sign went up earlier this week..  I asked him if that particular store was going to close and he said that he hadn't heard that it would...

I know of two closed Radio Shacks in my area that started the process with a 40% off sale.

I went to the "adapter wall" and picked up a few odds/ends (mostly adapters that I only have "one of"). 

It looks like down the road everything will have to be mail-ordered.....a sign of the times, I guess.

When the Shack closes in my area, it will be a sad day.  Not that I buy a lot there, but the comfort of knowing that it was there if I needed a resistor or other do-dad, it was there.  Even with a 1000% mark-up.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 01:03:30 PM »

My favorite store growing up in Maryland were Lafeyette, Radio Shack and Bainsville Electronics. sadly I heard Bainsville closed its doors this past year and Lafayette went out of business when I was a young sound guy. I'm not sure which was more fun, leafing through the catalogs getting ideas for building things or walking through the stores getting ideas for building things.

A few years ago most of the Radio Shacks closed in Las Vegas where I had been based. There are a few still open in Reno where I live now but they are basically phone store that also sell some drones and home electronics, not the parts stores that my dad and I would go to every month for our free batteries on our "Battery of the Month club cards" 

Time marches on I guess

Craig
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 01:26:42 PM »

We still have a GREAT electronics store in downtown San Rafael (SF Bay area).
Electronics Plus.  Geek heaven.
BTW the local Radio Shacks are mostly phone and stereo stores around here, not for the hobbyist.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 04:38:28 PM »

I really miss Heathkit. Building a shortwave receiver or basic stereo was fun and they had lots of "stuff" to buy if needed. Those days are gone...

Doug

Woody Nuss

• Santa Monica, CA
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 07:11:47 PM »

Amazingly, my former home town's radio supply shack is still in business after 70 years!. Loved this place growing up...

http://www.acksupply.com/

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 07:56:22 PM »

Amazingly, my former home town's radio supply shack is still in business after 70 years!. Loved this place growing up...

http://www.acksupply.com/

Woody Ack is a friggin' legend.  In the 80's I came up a couple of times to take call for Gencall (early  paging phone operator in Atlanta) and we could pick up anything short of an Eniac output tube at Ack in a pinch.

Now I want to go to Bones and get a steak.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 07:56:22 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.