ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting sensitivity on Shure QLDX4 transmitter  (Read 8070 times)

Ron Stickel

Setting sensitivity on Shure QLDX4 transmitter
« on: February 20, 2017, 04:37:35 PM »

Hi Everyone,

My church recently purchased our first digital wireless systems, two Shure QLDX4 with two Beta 87A microphones.  Our old systems are Sennheiser G2 Series 300.  Our mixer is a 1 year old A&H GLD-80.

The problem I am seeing is that the channel on the mixer shows it is clipping even though the signal is only at the first green light.  In other words, the vocalist is singing, the first green LED on the mixer is lit, then suddenly the red clipping light is on, without any of the other green or yellow lights indicating, and without the vocalist increasing the signal.  This situation is not true of the Sennheiser systems.

While the sound is good, I am uneasy because it seems I do not have any control over the gain on the channel.  Increasing the gain only results in clipping instead of resulting in an increased signal.

I looked for the sensitivity setting on the transmitter.  There was a sensitivity setting on the Sennheiser’s.  On the Beta 87A’s I see an RF Power and a Mic Offset setting.  I have set the RF Power to both Hi and Lo and do not notice a difference.  I do not know what the Mic Offset setting is.

This is my first experience with digital wireless systems.  Perhaps this is typical?

Thank you.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Setting sensitivity on Shure QLDX4 transmitter
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 05:09:27 PM »

Is the output from the receiver set to Mic or Line Level?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Brandon Scopel

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 08:47:03 PM »

The sensitivity on the qlxd systems is on the receiver, which I have a love/hate relationship with.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 09:19:00 PM »

The sensitivity on the qlxd systems is on the receiver, which I have a love/hate relationship with.

S'why I asked the question that I asked. "QLX4" is probably referring to "QLXD4," which is the receiver, but then the OP stated "transmitter," so a bit more clarity is required.

Ray
Kelcema Audio

Brandon Scopel

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 09:32:54 PM »

Duh, my bad. I ASSumed he was looking at the transmitters since he mentioned which type of capsule and so forth.....

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 09:53:35 PM »

The receiver has a gain control, but "mic offset" is what would be a sensitivity control, although it is not generally needed unless you are switching transmitters and want the HH and Lav to match level. Overload in the transmission is avoided with the dual level transmission scheme Shure used in these mics. The easy to use place to adjust the level of the signal to the console is on the receiver.

It's possible the QLX system lights the peak light when other mics don't may be due to the lack of companding on the QLX. It may have more dynamic range than you are used to.

Mac

Ron Stickel

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 11:36:22 AM »

Is the output from the receiver set to Mic or Line Level?

-Ray

The receiver is set to Mic.

Ron Stickel

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 11:39:44 AM »

S'why I asked the question that I asked. "QLX4" is probably referring to "QLXD4," which is the receiver, but then the OP stated "transmitter," so a bit more clarity is required.

Ray

I was looking on the transmitter for the sensitivity setting.  I assumed that would be the likely place given my experience with other wireless systems.

Ron

Ron Stickel

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 11:42:32 AM »

The receiver has a gain control, but "mic offset" is what would be a sensitivity control, although it is not generally needed unless you are switching transmitters and want the HH and Lav to match level. Overload in the transmission is avoided with the dual level transmission scheme Shure used in these mics. The easy to use place to adjust the level of the signal to the console is on the receiver.

It's possible the QLX system lights the peak light when other mics don't may be due to the lack of companding on the QLX. It may have more dynamic range than you are used to.

Mac

Thank you.  I will experiment with the setting on the receiver.

Ron

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 12:12:36 PM »

it is possible that the OP needs to adjust the Mic offset.  If the Transmitter is getting the clip. 

Matching Audio Levels with Mic Offset
When linking two transmitters to a receiver, there may be a difference in volume levels between microphones or instruments.
If this occurs, use the MicOffset function to match the audio levels and eliminate audible volume differences between
transmitters. If using a single transmitter, set MicOffset to 0 dB.
1. Turn on the first transmitter and perform a sound check to test the audio level. Turn off the transmitter when finished.
2. Turn on the second transmitter and perform a sound check to test the audio level.
3. If there is an audible difference in the sound level between the transmitters, navigate to the MicOffset menu on the
transmitter to increase or decrease the Mic Offset in realtime to match the audio levels.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 01:05:53 PM »

it is possible that the OP needs to adjust the Mic offset.  If the Transmitter is getting the clip. 

When linking two transmitters to a receiver, there may be a difference in volume levels between microphones or instruments.
If this occurs, use the MicOffset function to match the audio levels and eliminate audible volume differences between
1. Turn on the first transmitter and perform a sound check to test the audio level. Turn off the transmitter when finished.
2. Turn on the second transmitter and perform a sound check to test the audio level.
3. If there is an audible difference in the sound level between the transmitters, navigate to the MicOffset menu on the
transmitter to increase or decrease the Mic Offset in realtime to match the audio levels.

Mic offset is for just what is described in those instructions, to match 2 differing transmitters to a single receiver. It is not for adjusting the transmission level. Overload in the transmission is handled automatically by transmitting both a high level and a low level signal and having the receiver switch to the appropriate stream.

Mac

Ron Stickel

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 01:08:04 PM »

I am seeing the clipping on the mixer but thank you for this information.  It helps me understand what the Mic Offset is for.

Ron

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 01:30:02 PM »

I am seeing the clipping on the mixer but thank you for this information.  It helps me understand what the Mic Offset is for.

Ron

That was simply a copy-n-paste from the manual. Hopefully you still have that floating around... :)

And re your mention of Hi vs Lo RF power- that's just for the transmission power, not the actual signal sensitivity. We typically keep ours on low, unless we're working outdoors or in a large space where there's a need for longer distances between the transmitter and the receiver. (Or, if you get interference from an outside source, boost the transmit power to keep your signal the priority at the receiver.)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 01:30:02 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.