ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Funny rental catalog  (Read 4999 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Funny rental catalog
« on: February 20, 2017, 01:27:35 AM »

The loudspeaker descriptions are equally humerous.

http://schubertsystems.com/rentals_consoles.php
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: Funny rental catalog
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 02:38:08 AM »

"Midas XL4: A man's console. A very stubborn man."

Love it. And perhaps my personal favorite:

"Yamaha PM5D-RH: "The digital console you used to need! We still carry this in honor of our friends who are stuck in 2007."

Might have to borrow that line for those fly dates where the artist PM insists they need a PM5D.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 02:41:05 AM by Steven Eudaly »

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 04:12:59 AM »

I liked all the "Stealth Technology"  digital consoles.  That with the PM5D comments from Steven remind me of a gig that totally fits.

Ballroom corporate gig with band and NO room at FOH, PM5D console with no provision for monitor console.  Me as A1 FOH with not lots of seat time on the 5D,  My A2/ Monitor guy is a 5D guy.

Our solution was put the PM5D on stage with all band IO direct to it with my A2 using it as a monitor console.  I am out at FOH with a small analog board a laptop with a hard network line and a tablet on wifi with VNC to a laptop running StudioManager.  I ran 3 audio lines to the 5D, LR playback and a mono spoken word feed.

The analog mixer gave me physical faders for the talking heads during the day and the 5D as my DSP.  I mixed the band using studio manager like we would use a tablet app now.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 07:28:57 AM »

Thanks for the link

Here is one I like:

Klark Teknik       DN370   Stereo 1/3rd octave graphic EQ. If you don't know what this is, you're at the wrong web site. Maybe Guitar Center will be able to help you.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 12:40:19 PM »

Oh hell yes.

Dirk Schubert is quite the guy.  He single-handedly made it possible for Soundcraft to sell analog mixers in the USA by building custom PSUs for them.  Soundcraft couldn't make a PSU work at 120v to save their ass/sales.  Dirk did.  Keep in mind this was like 30 years ago.

Dirk's background is engineering; everything he does is based on science AND art, not just pretty pictures and conjecture.  He's a good guy to work with, too.

He's got a great shop with some really good crew and a boutique client list that includes one of my favorite performers, Bonnie Raitt.

Disclosure:  We bought half of Dirk's VerTec rig out of the Greek Theater when he went with another brand ("I'm in LA, there's a VerTec rig on every corner").  Miller Pro Audio in OKC bought the other half of the Greek Theater rig when Miller had a bad weather incident that took down a roof system at Rocklahoma.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 01:42:32 PM »

Oh hell yes.

Dirk Schubert is quite the guy.  He single-handedly made it possible for Soundcraft to sell analog mixers in the USA by building custom PSUs for them.  Soundcraft couldn't make a PSU work at 120v to save their ass/sales.  Dirk did.  Keep in mind this was like 30 years ago.

Dirk's background is engineering; everything he does is based on science AND art, not just pretty pictures and conjecture.  He's a good guy to work with, too.

He's got a great shop with some really good crew and a boutique client list that includes one of my favorite performers, Bonnie Raitt.
Bonnie Raitt; A lady who paid her dues for years before being "suddenly discovered" and became an 'overnight sensation'.  Somewhat akin to Dolly Parton touring singing back-up with her relatives before being "suddenly discovered."
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 06:49:37 PM »

Her cover of Angel from Montgomery is my favorite ballad period.  I have to admit Susan Tedeschi does a fine job too but she is an unabashed in sharing the fact Raitt is her mentor and idol.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 07:55:06 PM »

Her cover of Angel from Montgomery is my favorite ballad period.  I have to admit Susan Tedeschi does a fine job too but she is an unabashed in sharing the fact Raitt is her mentor and idol.

Yeah, I like Susan, too and I can definitely hear Raitt's slide work inspiration in Susan's playing. 

If Bonnie's cover of "I Can't Make You Love Me" doesn't give you a near-terminal heartache, you probably can't fog a mirror.  One of my favorites.

She also does a killer cover of Gerry Rafferty's "Right Down the Line"; kind of a reggae feel to it and a little slower.  Awesome stuff.

Getting to work with artists like Raitt is why I wanted to be in this business.  Not for the star factor but for the sheer creativity and artistic integrity that goes into every note.  I'll never have the musicianship or creativity of these kinds of artists but I instinctively know what to do with their work when I hear it.  I guess all that church & school chorus singing and piano lessons may have paid off, after all.  I probably should have finished off my degree...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 08:37:52 PM »

Yeah, I like Susan, too and I can definitely hear Raitt's slide work inspiration in Susan's playing. 

If Bonnie's cover of "I Can't Make You Love Me" doesn't give you a near-terminal heartache, you probably can't fog a mirror.  One of my favorites.

She also does a killer cover of Gerry Rafferty's "Right Down the Line"; kind of a reggae feel to it and a little slower.  Awesome stuff.

Getting to work with artists like Raitt is why I wanted to be in this business.  Not for the star factor but for the sheer creativity and artistic integrity that goes into every note.  I'll never have the musicianship or creativity of these kinds of artists but I instinctively know what to do with their work when I hear it.  I guess all that church & school chorus singing and piano lessons may have paid off, after all.  I probably should have finished off my degree...

Could not agree more.  I am sure you have caught her Kennedy Center Honor's performance with Jeff Beck of "Sweet Home Chicago".

Right now if I had to pick one person, and I want to make it clear that I was way ahead of the bandwagon on this young lady as she now is breaking out all over the place.. Rhiannon Giddens earned her undergraduate degree a few towns over at Oberlin College.  We knew we had something special back then as she performed locally.  The breadth of her vocal abilities from operatic, fluent Gaelic (I love her "fionnghuala" or mouth music) and of course her gospel-folk roots.  Rhiannon is also a charming, graceful and eloquent young lady.  Truly a breath of fresh air.  Unlike most of her contemporaries she can share her causes and opinions without offense and with the eloquence of a scholar. 

Sorry I digressed.  Yes, it's people like that that make it all worthwhile. 

This weekend a buddy of mine who plays in one of the bands we run and also does sound for some others with a K12 based systems called me up and asked me to rent some KW153's and subs from him.  I asked him whom with and where he was working and it was a Skynyrd tribute band of all things  all 11 of them.  I have the largest and certainly most prestigious event I have ever undertaken coming up on Saturday so I told him I would do him one better and bring the M32 and I would work the show with him at no charge.  I wanted to give the mixer and ancillary gear one more workout before the big night. 

Anyway, these guys were all very serious about what they did and there covers were very well executed.  The age of the crowd, Union Jack on the mic stand and other vestiges told me I was on borrowed time as the folks a generation before I who grew were already adults in the mid 70's are all on SSI right now.  Anyway I had a blast.  They were super to work with, got a real sound check and the place was at capacity until the third set.  I had a really good time.  This really is a business were the economic drivers are not always primary.  For the small contingency of us that have been blessed in our primary vocations to be able to underwrite a secondary career in live production, I am incredibly grateful to the folks here that so freely share their experience.  All we have to do is listen and show a willingness to learn.  It's a low price of admission and the tools here are priceless.

How is that for a huge swerve.  I could tell by the humor in my OP that these guys were real pro's. 

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 11:57:48 PM by Scott Holtzman »

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 11:54:51 PM »

Keeping with the swerve, I love Bonnie's One Part Be My Lover.  If this doesn't put a catch in your throat, you should check your pulse.  A trio I'm playing with does her version of Mose Allison's Everybody's Crying Mercy.  Another great tune not on the pop charts.

The desk descriptions were hilarious as well.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 11:54:51 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.