ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Stage Fire in India from electrical short  (Read 1513 times)

Mike Sokol

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2661
  • Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Stage Fire in India from electrical short
« on: February 17, 2017, 10:19:16 am »

It doesn't appear that anyone got injured or killed, but the stage and all production gear must have been a complete loss. Report says the fire started from an electrical short circuit http://www.india.com/news/india/make-in-india-fire-stage-caught-fire-due-to-electrical-short-circuit-says-report-977207/

Josh Rawls

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 142
Re: Stage Fire in India from electrical short
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 11:06:21 am »

Didn't another incident just like this happen not too long ago?
Logged
Josh Rawls

Keith Broughton

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2132
  • Toronto
Re: Stage Fire in India from electrical short
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 11:11:10 am »

Quote
an electrical spark had come in contact with the inflammable materials under the stage and that aggravated the situation even further. “The LPG cylinder in the vicinity burst after coming in contact with the fire and it leaked the entire stage quickly due to high wind speed,”
The "organizers" need to see the inside of a jail cell.
Logged
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Frank Czar

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 38
    • Website
Re: Stage Fire in India from electrical short
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 11:39:22 am »

I saw a fire like this start along the DS edge of a stage, the band had used a 1/4'' instrument cable to jump in between 2 wedges and it heated up to the point of flames. It was quickly seen and extinguished but it's easy to see how some of these things happen. Imagine if that cable had been up stage next to a bunch of drape, fabric or scenery.
It was just a 3 piece band using a little sound system, one wouldn't think you could wire it up and create a fire hazard like this but it just goes to show the endless possibilities of accidents that can happen. Always be thinking of "what if" scenarios and plan and place thins accordingly.
Logged
Frank Czar
Concert Works
Daytona Beach FL. & US Virgin Islands
www.concertworksvi.com

Jonathan Johnson

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2411
  • Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: Stage Fire in India from electrical short
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 11:54:22 am »

...Report says the fire started from an electrical short circuit...

Keep in mind that to most laymen, any electrical problem is a "short circuit." (The term is probably more often used to refer to an open circuit than an actual short!)

"During examination of the of the accident, the officials found that an electrical spark had come in contact with the inflammable materials under the stage..."

An electrical arc doesn't necessarily imply a "short circuit" (in the technical sense). Yes, it could have been a short, but the article doesn't really make this clear.
Logged
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jonathan Johnson

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2411
  • Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: Stage Fire in India from electrical short
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 11:59:15 am »

I saw a fire like this start along the DS edge of a stage, the band had used a 1/4'' instrument cable to jump in between 2 wedges and it heated up to the point of flames.

That's another reason 1/4" connectors are a terrible idea for passive speaker connections.

There's also the matter of 1/4" connectors having a rather small contact patch between the plug and the jack.
Logged
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

dick rees

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7040
  • Duluth
Re: Stage Fire in India from electrical short
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 12:09:13 pm »


" ...inflammable materials under the stage..."


No further comment...
Logged
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Fruits

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 396
Re: Stage Fire in India from electrical short
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 12:17:02 pm »

Didn't another incident just like this happen not too long ago?
From the date on the linked story, this is probably the one you are thinking of. 
Logged
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

David Allred

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 841
Re: Stage Fire in India from electrical short
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 12:41:09 pm »

No further comment...

So the materials that aren't flammable caught on fire?
Logged

David Allred

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 841
Re: Stage Fire in India from electrical short
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 12:42:55 pm »

On the bright side, the light show was killer... even though the hazer was broken.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
 

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 17 queries.