ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Small wireless fly rig  (Read 5280 times)

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
Re: Small wireless fly rig
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 08:52:43 AM »

I'm working on putting together a small fly rig for an artist I work with; it'll be a lightweight rack that will ride in a Pelican case.

A portion of the rack is for the artist's wireless microphone and IEM system.  The IEM transmitter and microphone receiver need to share a single rack space, and we're running up against a weight limit.  This means UHF-R, PSM1000, and Sennheiser 2000 series are out due to lacking half-rack form factors.

I'm looking at either a Shure ULX-D / PSM900 combo or Sennheiser's EW100/300/500 receiver with the IEM300 in-ear system (KSM9 or e965 capsules, respectively).

I know that Sennheiser's units will rack side-by-side with the stock rackmount kits.

What is required to rackmount a P9T transmitter next to a ULXD4?  Does Shure make a rack kit that will make these units play nice with each other, or would a custom solution be required?

Thanks for any input.

Hi Justin, did you arrive at a solution? I am in the same boat to support a flying touring vocalist. She thus far is satisfied with my MiPro digital IEM Mi909 and KSM9 on UHFR system. My next step is to scale down on the mic side to fit both the mic and IEM into a compact rig. I started looking into ULXD, but the passive antenna diversity is a concern, because she does concert in many unknown RF environments. I tried Audix's new AP wireless system with KSM9 capsule, and it works pretty well. Audix AP61 has similar noise floor and RF reliability as UHFR, without all the network features.

I will have to Jerry rig something to put the Audix half rack receiver and MiPro half rack transmitter together in a 1U rack case. Each of these 2 systems do come in padded carrying case, if you don't mind installing the antenna each time.
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Justin Bartlett

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 05:21:05 PM »

Hi Justin, did you arrive at a solution? I am in the same boat to support a flying touring vocalist. She thus far is satisfied with my MiPro digital IEM Mi909 and KSM9 on UHFR system. My next step is to scale down on the mic side to fit both the mic and IEM into a compact rig. I started looking into ULXD, but the passive antenna diversity is a concern, because she does concert in many unknown RF environments. I tried Audix's new AP wireless system with KSM9 capsule, and it works pretty well. Audix AP61 has similar noise floor and RF reliability as UHFR, without all the network features.

I will have to Jerry rig something to put the Audix half rack receiver and MiPro half rack transmitter together in a 1U rack case. Each of these 2 systems do come in padded carrying case, if you don't mind installing the antenna each time.

We initially went with a ULX-D mic and PSM900 IEMs, but the artist didn't like the sound of the PSM900 and went back to his trusty Sennheiser G2 IEM system.  So at the moment he has the half-rack pieces jerry-rigged side by side; I've told him he needs to either have some custom hardware made to get them more securely mounted or switch to all Sennheiser G3 gear to get them to play nice together.  But that's where he stands at the moment.  I've only been out with the rig as it currently sits once; been working other tours, but apparently it's been working for him (haven't gotten any panicked phone calls anyway).

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 06:08:03 PM »

We initially went with a ULX-D mic and PSM900 IEMs, but the artist didn't like the sound of the PSM900 and went back to his trusty Sennheiser G2 IEM system.  So at the moment he has the half-rack pieces jerry-rigged side by side; I've told him he needs to either have some custom hardware made to get them more securely mounted or switch to all Sennheiser G3 gear to get them to play nice together.  But that's where he stands at the moment.  I've only been out with the rig as it currently sits once; been working other tours, but apparently it's been working for him (haven't gotten any panicked phone calls anyway).

Anyone who carries their own IEMs to festivals should seriously consider the PSM1000s. Yes, more money, but you can retune them while someone else is onstage without risk of interference. You can turn the power on but leave the transmitter off while you change to whatever new frequency you need.

Mac

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 07:27:36 PM »

. . .Yes, more money, but you can retune them while someone else is onstage without risk of interference. You can turn the power on but leave the transmitter off while you change to whatever new frequency you need.

The 900 transmitter also has TX control separate from the power switch. The primary difference is the P9T lacks networking (and is half rack).
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 07:27:36 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.