ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Active HDMI vs HDMI over Cat6 for 80-150ft HDMI runs  (Read 4637 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Active HDMI vs HDMI over Cat6 for 80-150ft HDMI runs
« on: February 16, 2017, 09:50:03 AM »

Which is better?

Active/passive HDMI
or
HDMI over Cat6 for 80-150ft HDMI runs

For longevity.

Air conditioned space. Ran in non-plenum (air returns are ducted) drop ceiling.

And assuming cheaper Amazon bought gear (No Blackmagic $500+ gear quality [which is also prone to failure I have witnessed])

I've used both to great success, but time will tell if the HDMI over Cat6 converters survive constant use for many years. I just don't have enough years behind me to know which products are dependable.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Cailen Waddell

Re: Active HDMI vs HDMI over Cat6 for 80-150ft HDMI runs
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 10:26:48 AM »

The minimum I would do is HDbaseT.  Which is active and then some. 

Any non hdbaset products we have used have worked for 2ish years and developed problems that forced us to discard them.  I've had some
HDbaseT going for 4+ years no problems. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 01:33:14 PM »

Which is better?

Active/passive HDMI
or

For longevity.

Air conditioned space. Ran in non-plenum (air returns are ducted) drop ceiling.

And assuming cheaper Amazon bought gear (No Blackmagic $500+ gear quality [which is also prone to failure I have witnessed])

I've used both to great success, but time will tell if the HDMI over Cat6 converters survive constant use for many years. I just don't have enough years behind me to know which products are dependable.

HDBaseT all the way for longevity.

HDMI gears, including active HDMI cables, seem to be sensitive to ESD and prone to failure that way.  ESD discharge can happen when a person plugs into a jack.  HDBaseT, by virtue of IEEE802.3, is transformer coupled.  There's at least 1000V of isolation (hi-pot) on these transformers.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Robert Healey

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 04:05:34 PM »

Which is better?

Active/passive HDMI
or

For longevity.

I have used the FSR active HDMI cables a couple times with good results, but none of them are very old yet. One thing to note, they are fairly fragile and require more care during pulling than typical cables. The installing contractor damaged one during installation and had to replace it on their dime. It seems that FSR have strengthened the cable, but I would still take care.

I prefer to use HDBaseT or an IP solution (SVSI). For standalone TX/RX pairs Extron has a good price to robusteness ratio, but it would be over your $500.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 04:47:48 PM »

Thanks guys, I do appreciate it.

I've used this for a short run, mainly because of a concrete block wall which was hard to get connectors through. Still working fine, 2+yrs.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8121 (HDMI® Extender Using Cat5e or CAT6 Cable - Extend Upto 98ft)

And I've used this one for temporary runs, but I'm not sure as to its longevity.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8123 (HDMI® + Ethernet and IR Extender Using Cat5e or CAT6 Cable - Extend Upto 328ft)

I've used this one extensively for temporary runs and an install that is going strong 1+yr later. I really like that you can use any gigabit switch and create more outputs easily without having to use more transmitters. I'm not sure of the longevity though which is why I was considering an active HDMI run or a different extender/converter (HDBaseT).
http://a.co/b2EsJ4M (Cable Matters HDMI Extender over Single Cat 6 Ethernet)

This is the HDBaseT unit I'm thinking about. I read through the spec briefly, liked what they're trying to do. Seems like a good bit of support.
http://a.co/8FIOmha (AV Access HDMI Extender (HDBaseT),Uncompressed 4K 60Hz over Cat5e/6a,70m(230ft)1080P,40m(130ft) 4K,HDR,7.1CH Audio,PoE,Bi-directional IR+RS232,HDCP2.2)

It'll add more longevity/reliability at the cost of price. (3 full setups + HDMI splitter).

I have access to the Roland, Kramer, Black Box products through my distributor, but not sure if the client wants to spring for that kind of pricing as there's 3 TV's that need hooking up at various distances and I'm not sure of their respective quality having not used them before and having used the other things before.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 04:47:48 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.