ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: New venue  (Read 1439 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: New venue
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2017, 10:53:57 am »

Because "all you have to do is put some speakers in and everybody can hear"---------

When do architects get their sleep?  During the acoustics classes.
I had a chance to sit down with a couple of architects and ask for an explanation to this very question. Unlike paint, cloth, flooring and wood, you can't "see" the result and it makes it a tough sell.
They do take acoustics in school but trying to sell to the client is nearly impossible.
Hopefully, with these 3D virtual tour video systems, there will be an opportunity to let clients hear the differences in acoustic signatures with different room surfaces.
There has to be an economic incentive to spend the extra $$ on treatment. As long as the public keep coming to shit sounding venues and spending money, no one cares.
In the meantime, we in the audio world, apparently can "fix it" with some kind of voodoo magic DSP ::)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2017, 11:38:41 am »

I had a chance to sit down with a couple of architects and ask for an explanation to this very question. Unlike paint, cloth, flooring and wood, you can't "see" the result and it makes it a tough sell.
They do take acoustics in school but trying to sell to the client is nearly impossible.
Hopefully, with these 3D virtual tour video systems, there will be an opportunity to let clients hear the differences in acoustic signatures with different room surfaces.
There has to be an economic incentive to spend the extra $$ on treatment. As long as the public keep coming to shit sounding venues and spending money, no one cares.
In the meantime, we in the audio world, apparently can "fix it" with some kind of voodoo magic DSP ::)

I find we have the same difficulty when trying to impress upon architects how important proper architectural lighting is in areas where we will do audio-visual presentations. (especially video-conferencing) The customer wants to install $150,000 worth of AV equipment, but won't spend an extra $10k in lights to make sure it all works well. That money always goes into the conference table.  :o

Craig Leerman

• Spanning the Globe as a
  • Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2017, 11:53:23 am »

I spoke with an architect about acoustics years ago. He stated his acoustic class dealt with keeping sound from bleeding from one area to another and did not deal with making any spaces sound good.
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

Dave Pluke

• BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2017, 12:18:21 pm »

I spoke with an architect about acoustics years ago. He stated his acoustic class dealt with keeping sound from bleeding from one area to another and did not deal with making any spaces sound good.

Right.  That would be the domain of an Acoustical Engineer (who aren't on Design Teams as often as they should be).

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2017, 04:19:34 pm »

they don't even manage that very well often enough
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 17 queries.